Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: venting the engine bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I read an articale on engine bay temps. and where the hottest places are within the confines of the compartment. Higher temps where seen twards the back.

would it be possible to vent the vertical tin on the back of the motor to release the hot air?

Maybe a couple of holes with thermo fans? They could even be active only at idle to draw air out of the engine bay?

Just a thought! idea.gif

Maybe I should put sown the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard biggrin.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
There's a grill above the engine already and heat billows out of it everytime the car is stopped wink.gif
Joe Ricard
My engine driven fan @7000 RPM pumps enough air through the GT lid that I doubt hot air on top of the tin has a chance inhell of making a difference
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 10 2007, 12:47 PM) *

My engine driven fan @7000 RPM pumps enough air through the GT lid that I doubt hot air on top of the tin has a chance inhell of making a difference

agree.gif

the engine tine is there to *prevent* hot air from getting on top of the engine.
the cooling fan sucks in air from the top and pumps it over the cylinders and dumps it out the bottom.
then there's also the exhaust down there.

if you'd open the engine tin all that hot air from under the engine would be sucked into the engine comp by the cooling fan.
even if you added small fans trying to pump air out the back, the big fan would simply overpower them and suck hot air from the exhaust through your small fans ...

the best you can do is to make sure your engine tin is sealing right and doesn't have any big holes and that you get plenty of fresh air from the top.
bye1.gif Andy
newto914s
I was thinking about this too, but to use it to get fresh air from the engine compartment air over an aux. oil cooler.
Something like this
Click to view attachment
Sorry I can't draw headbang.gif but you get the idea.
A lot of guys already mount their coolers by the Trans and I figure a little guide tins from the engine compartment would be all you need to get some "fresher" air through it as opposed to the warm air from under the car.
maf914
If you add a fan drawing air from the engine compartment you will be competing with the engine fan for the available air, and further lower the air pressure in the engine bay. Will this be significant or not? confused24.gif

I recall someone placing an oil cooler with fan in the right fender well with a cutout in the wall where the battery used to be located drawing air from the engine bay and dumping it into the fender well. I never heard if this arrangement worked well or not. idea.gif
type47fan
QUOTE(newto914s @ Jul 10 2007, 01:28 PM) *

I was thinking about this too, but to use it to get fresh air from the engine compartment air over an aux. oil cooler.
Something like this
Click to view attachment
Sorry I can't draw headbang.gif but you get the idea.
A lot of guys already mount their coolers by the Trans and I figure a little guide tins from the engine compartment would be all you need to get some "fresher" air through it as opposed to the warm air from under the car.

With the engine running, everything BELOW the engine tin is process or waste air under relatively high pressure. Air inside the engine compartment is relatively lower pressure. Cutting the rear tin still runs the risk of pulling warm air back into the engine compartment rather than having it flow to your cooler. You'd be better looking for another source of air for your cooler, like a side scoop in the quarter panel or in the rocker just ahead of the rear wheel. Better yet, IMHO is in the front, under the bumper, GT style. . . .
sww914
Your efforts and money would be better spent on a front oil cooler installation.
degreeoff
agree.gif

"hee hee I am becoming a post whore!"
Joe Ricard
I think if something worked really good you would hear about it here. But since I don't remember it either I bet it didn't work good at all.
I pu my oil cooler in the passnger side rocker panel.
Louvered the panel and it works OK. I suspect it is because I was using a sandwhich plate at the filter.
Now going full flow and I think it will work better.

Back on topic, leave the design of the engine tin alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.