Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
So the local Porsche dealer recommended this company to replace my windshield. The install looks good at first. They cut the rubber seal that's at the bottom on the inside and all the scratches in the paint have to be wet sanded.

So my question is what should be done. The good news is Hagerty sent me the check made out to me. The seal is around a 100.00, but I'm assuming to only way to fix that is to pull the windshield again.

Any thoughts?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes there is a solution: Drop the dash it is easy enough to do from inside the front trunk compartment and then get the repro seal for 38.50 from an aftermarket supplier. The factory seal no longer has the steel in it and is a rip off.
watsonrx13
OK, I not certain what you're asking, but....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

-- Rob
watsonrx13
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 10 2007, 03:53 PM) *

yes there is a solution: Drop the dash it is easy enough to do from inside the front trunk compartment and then get the repro seal for 38.50 from an aftermarket supplier. The factory seal no longer has the steel in it and is a rip off.

George, you can drop the dash by unbolting it from inside the front trunk? blink.gif

I have a car I'd like to replace the dash-to-windshield seal on, but I thought I'd have to remove the windshield to do it.... Can you give a quick step-by-step recount of what should be done?

-- Rob
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 10 2007, 01:18 PM) *

George, you can drop the dash by unbolting it from inside the front trunk? blink.gif

I have a car I'd like to replace the dash-to-windshield seal on, but I thought I'd have to remove the windshield to do it.... Can you give a quick step-by-step recount of what should be done?

-- Rob

yes Rob. The dash can easily be dropped to replace the seal. Drop the lower dash pad, drop the steering column (four bolts underneath) remove the side bolts and underneath screws that bolt the dash to the body, then go into the front trunk, remove the expansion tank, and blower nozzle tops, and unbolt the 10mm headed nuts that connect the dash to the cowl, then drop the dash, complete down slightly
2-OH!
Boy, I didn't know that...

Both (75 2.0 & 73 1.7) the cars I have restored had the base dash spot welded in place...In fact, the seal slips over the front spot weld to the body after you put the fabric/vinyl/leather/whatever on the dash top...

It could be possible to put the seal on with the dash in place, but it would be very difficult to do because of the working room and the angle between the welded in dash and the windshield...

My answer would be...Yep, you gotta pull the windshield...

2-OH!
akellym
That's good to know, but I was wondering more what would be your response to the glass guys. They haven't returned my call yet.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(akellym @ Jul 10 2007, 03:40 PM) *

That's good to know, but I was wondering more what would be your response to the glass guys. They haven't returned my call yet.

"Hey guys, when you cut out the old windshield you ruined my dash to windshield bead. how 'bout coming out and replacing it for me? I can buy a new one and have it here for you, but the installation presently really looks like sh.t, and I am sure that you would not be proud of it!!!!!!!!! How about some help??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Jul 10 2007, 02:49 PM) *

Boy, I didn't know that...

Both (75 2.0 & 73 1.7) the cars I have restored had the base dash spot welded in place...In fact, the seal slips over the front spot weld to the body after you put the fabric/vinyl/leather/whatever on the dash top...

It could be possible to put the seal on with the dash in place, but it would be very difficult to do because of the working room and the angle between the welded in dash and the windshield...

My answer would be...Yep, you gotta pull the windshield...

2-OH!

Back when I was a kid of 22 helping my dear friend and 914 mentor Phil Owings rebuild 914 (he actually "clipped" many of them in his driveway off Lennox road in Atlanta) I pulled many dashes as a complete unit when we were switching out parts as part of the rebuild. I was amazed that the whole dash could be removed as unit simply to be transferred to another car (of course to take it completely out of the car we had to disconnect the wiring harness and heater control assembly!
GWN7
Give them 24 hrs more to respond to you and then file a claim with your insurance carrier. You will have to pay the deductable, but the insurance company will go after the installer to make it right. That's why you pay insurance, for them to have the headaches.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 10 2007, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 10 2007, 01:18 PM) *

-- Rob

yes Rob. The dash can easily be dropped to replace the seal. Drop the lower dash pad, drop the steering column (four bolts underneath) remove the side bolts and underneath screws that bolt the dash to the body, then go into the front trunk, remove the expansion tank, and blower nozzle tops, and unbolt the 10mm headed nuts that connect the dash to the cowl, then drop the dash, complete down slightly

Thanks George, I'll try that on my next project... smilie_pokal.gif

-- Rob
rhodyguy
remove the entire dash assem to r&r the inner seal? you must be kidding.

k
thomasotten
I replaced my windshield myself. The steps George provides with the windshield. It was alot easier than you might think. Plus, you get the time to do it right, fixing all the rust. The windshield guys are one shot deals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.