Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, I bought an unused Renegade V8 kit....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
I bought a new, unused Renegade V8 kit. Its complete (as far as I can tell) and I guess it has the 9" clutch. However its probably 10 years old. Can anyone tell me if any of the parts in this kit are out-dated or have been seriously upgraded?

Oh to sweeten the pot, the guy made me a deal on the SC front end too!

JB 914
the only issue i had was with the tranny adapters. i had new ones made that were about 3/4 inch longer. i was just not comfortable with the way the adapters connected to the tranny.

you can see the pictures HERE

so, what engine are you gonna put in it. driving.gif
jasons
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jul 10 2007, 10:41 PM) *

so, what engine are you gonna put in it. driving.gif

I don't know what I'm going to do with this kit. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Currently, I have in my garage 90% of the parts for a 2270, a 2.4L 6 longblock, and now I bring this home. headbang.gif

Something (or things) will wind up in the classifieds when I'm ready.

The biggest difference I see in the kit I bought and newer ones is the coolant neck, mine is steel. And the Alt mount, mine is 2 pieces.
JoeSharp
I can't believe what I just saw. Don't you guys know that every time Scot see a picture of Renagade's stuff he gives birth to a brick.
tyler
I wouldn't use those hose attachments for the block, they'll corrode and block eventually. Rod Simpson sell brass ones that work great.
Also I think Renegade has a newer plate mount that kind of goes ove the whole front of the block to mount the pump and alt. If it's not too expensive it's much better that that cheesy alternator bracket.
jasons
QUOTE(tyler @ Jul 11 2007, 07:38 AM) *

I wouldn't use those hose attachments for the block, they'll corrode and block eventually. Rod Simpson sell brass ones that work great.

The Aluminum pieces? As in Aluminum next to steel can be bad?
FWIW, it looks like Renegade still sells their kit with those pieces.

QUOTE(tyler @ Jul 11 2007, 07:38 AM) *

Also I think Renegade has a newer plate mount that kind of goes ove the whole front of the block to mount the pump and alt. If it's not too expensive it's much better that that cheesy alternator bracket.

I think that big bracket is for adding AC too. But Renegade does have a one piece bracket for the Alternator.

Here is a pic from the RH site

IPB Image

Like I said, this kit around 10 years old, all the documentation lists RH's location as CA.

skline
Yes, your kit is about 10 years old, as for the block fittings, do not use the aluminum ones that are screwed in there right now, if you notice on the picture you posted up from RH's site, they use the composite ones now as the aluminum ones do corrode and rather quickly. The clutch looks like the 9" stage II. It all should work just fine. The only thing missing the radiator and they sell the whole set up for about $1K ready to bolt in.
jasons
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 11 2007, 09:59 AM) *

Yes, your kit is about 10 years old, as for the block fittings, do not use the aluminum ones that are screwed in there right now, if you notice on the picture you posted up from RH's site, they use the composite ones now as the aluminum ones do corrode and rather quickly. The clutch looks like the 9" stage II. It all should work just fine. The only thing missing the radiator and they sell the whole set up for about $1K ready to bolt in.

Ok now my elbows are composite, and the mounts are AL. Is that the same as the current Renegade kit?

Scratch that, you're right mine are Alum.

Also, *I think* the flywheel is for a motor with the one piece crank seal. I guess thats good?
neo914-6
electrolysis corrosion can be bad but how about aluminum manifolds to iron block, aluminum t-stat housing on iron manifold, aluminum water pumps on the block? That corrosion is caused by direct or close contact of dissimilar metals, water flow, and electrical current.

One of my 25+ year old jaide (similar to RH) aluminum inlets fused a mounting bolt (one of four) and I had to remove the timing cover to rotate it. If the hw is coated and you use gaskets and silicones, they should be fine.

Like hose material, there are many opinions and experiences...
Cap'n Krusty
If you use VW or BMW spec. coolant, corrosion worrys go away ......... The Cap'n
Dr. Roger
In 1986 the two piece rear main seal was replaced with a one piece seal.

i would call Renegade and verify what flywheel you have. I got an older one and had to have a new ring gear put on due to not enough starter gear engagement.

How much, if I may ask?
jasons
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 11 2007, 01:26 PM) *

In 1986 the two piece rear main seal was replaced with a one piece seal.

i would call Renegade and verify what flywheel you have.

I'm 99% sure its for the later 350's. It has a 3" bolt pattern and from what I understand, thats 1 piece crank seal. Also, the guy I got it from told me it was, but he could smoke crack for all I know.

I got an older one and had to have a new ring gear put on due to not enough starter gear engagement.

Could you elaborate a little?

How much, if I may ask?

We'll say around half the price of new, including the SC front struts.
I wub.gif Craigslist!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.