Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoooray - Motor and tranny are out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Ok, with a lot of help from Aaron (he is, in fact, alive) I have my motor and tranny sitting in the garage.

I have my new motor all set and ready to install. It's a 1911 that I will be running 44 idfs with. I have been told that I should use the thick gaskets for the intake manifolds. Where can I find those for the 1.7/1.8 head?

Also, I have one exhaust stud that needs to be replaced. Anyone have a spare?

Lastly, when cleaning up, I found a ball bearing on the ground under the driver's side CV. I assume I need to do something with these, as this shouldn't happen. Anyone have any hints?

I am hoping to have a SoCal BBQ to light the new motor off, if anyone is interested, please let me know.

scrz914
Ball Bearings? I remember when I got my first 914, I loosened what I thought was the drain plug on the driver's side of the tranny and some spring and ball bearings fell out. Oooops.
Could that be it? Maybe your buddy isn't telling you something.
por73914
Is it a ball out of the CV joint?
rhodyguy
the stock intake phenolic intake gaskets in the flavor you need should be avial from the bird or your prefered vendor.

k
Borderline
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 10 2007, 09:48 PM) *

I have my new motor all set and ready to install. It's a 1911 that I will be running 44 idfs with. I have been told that I should use the thick gaskets for the intake manifolds. Where can I find those for the 1.7/1.8 head?

agree.gif I've been tuning and braking in my 1911 for a few months now and have found that I had a vacuum leak from the intake gasket. You need a thick gasket and one that is made specifically for the 1.8/1.7 head. The gasket I replaced was a thick gasket but was a "universal" that culd be used on a 2.0. Big difference! Runs quieter with no backfire through the carbs.

I'm sure Aaron has told you that you will prolly want to go to 32mm vents on the idf's.

What size was the ball bearing that you found on the floor? The CV bearings are pretty large (10mm guess). If it fell out, I would think you have a problem. Eric Shea sells new CV joints at a good price.

Good luck with your 1911, I love mine.
So.Cal.914
All you need to do now is wait for one more ball to drop and and your all grown up. biggrin.gif

Was you CV making noise before the engine change? With one of them missing I

would think the CV would have a lot more play in it. Pull the dust boot back and

inspect.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(por73914 @ Jul 11 2007, 08:12 AM) *

Is it a ball out of the CV joint?

Yep.

sad.gif

There was no problem before with the CVs. Just that when we pulled them to drop the motor, I found one from the driver's side on the ground. Kinda bummed about it.

Thanks for the info on the gaskets. I called PP and they weren't much help. Anyone have a part number?
skline
I am pretty sure I have several of those gaskets you need laying around here in my garage and I may even have a spare CV also. You bring me my engine lid, you can pick up these things at the same time smile.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 11 2007, 09:53 AM) *

I am pretty sure I have several of those gaskets you need laying around here in my garage and I may even have a spare CV also. You bring me my engine lid, you can pick up these things at the same time smile.gif

chairfall.gif

Let me know if you have them and I will swing by.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.