Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy on Cages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tony C
Ok all you 914 guy/gals that have been wanting a cage, now is the time! I will do a "group buy" for a run of cages. I need a minimum of 5. The price will be $1200 including material and cutting in the dash. Cages will be made from 1.5"X.095 or .120 DOM tubing depending on class/weight of the car. You will have your choice of the "street" door bars or X door bars. I plan to do the installs the fist week of May. Please let me know if you have any questions. You can also visit my website for more information.

tony@tcdesignfab.com

TC Design

-Tony
jonwatts
I'm one of 5, the rest of you guys get in line. driving.gif
Tony C
Mueller's in there to, he just doesn't know it biggrin.gif

-Tony
L8Apex
yeah, tell Tony I sent ya. hehe.
r_towle
Count me in if you can figure out how to cut and ship one East...
As long as the parts are a little longer than needed, I could make it work...

Of course I would save the installation costs tongue.gif wink.gif

Rich
ChrisFoley
Rich, you could also save some shipping costs if you would just talk to me.
What's the matter, did I say something wrong to you in the past? confused24.gif

Sorry Tony, not trying to steal business from you. beerchug.gif
Tony C
I would also much prefer you to go to Chris, that way all of us know you have a safe and installed cage.

-Tony
r_towle
Guys,
I own to many toys.
I am looking for a cheap way to do this,,,thats all.
I like to shop around Chris...

Just checking out all the options...Yours still seems the easiest for me.

Rich
ChrisFoley
No offense, but when it comes to speed, safe and cheap are somewhat incompatible.
I saw a guy die at LRP in a Porsche because he trusted safety equipment that he was very proud of having installed himself. :gilloutine:
jonwatts
Ba-bump

Curious how many more takers there are on this group buy. Who else out there is willing to throw their IRS refund to the wind?
Mueller
Tony....want to add this request to any other sites?
Pelican, Rennlist (914 and Racing) Shoptalkforums?

Even with me being an FAA certified welder, I'd rather trust Tony or Chris to weld in a cage for me since they have much more experiance doing this type of work.
Brad Roberts
Hang in there in Mike. I need to write something up letting people know that Tony did all my cages. I think we are confusing some people.

B
EdwardBlume
Andrew Blyholder is a GGR member who's latest Bx car looks like it could use a cage. He mentioned wanting to get one done. Does anybody know his contact info?
Brad Roberts
Tony and I are seeing some confusion amongst the 914 crowd. I'll try and clear it up as much as possible with this post.

I met Tony when he was working for another "raceshop". I had several cages built by Tony at that shop. Tony then started to build the 914 cages at the Palo Alto shop. All this time I was listing the cages on the ALL914.com website to help drum up business for him....well... I drummed up enough work for him. Tony has since then opened his own fabrication and race prep shop.

Bottom line: He kicks ass when it comes to fab work. You will NOT find a faster fab guy. I was tired of hearing about 4-6 week turn around times when I learned of the young whipper snapper. He now whips out some of the best BMW, Miata, and Porsche cages I have ever seen.

Give him a shot. All of my customers are more than happy.

B
jonwatts
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 25 2003, 08:01 PM)
Give him a shot. All of my customers are more than happy.

I know quite a few of the happy customers and that's why I jumped on this as soon as he posted it. I was kicking myself for not getting in the last group. I'm just happy to have another chance before he gets too well known (read: full schedule).

Just tell your significant other that you need to divert part of your tax refund for this. I'm sure they'll understand unsure.gif
Jeroen
I've seen Tony's shop and some of the stuff he did and is currently working on
WICKED!!! If you want a cage, he's your man!

A big plus is that he knows the different racing organisation's rules by heart, so you'll get a cage that is legal.

cheers,

Jeroen
Tony C
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I still need 1-2 more people to make this a go. If your sitting on the fence and have questions feel free to ask.

-tony
914werke
Tony I need a cage! I just dont know what kind of cage/loop/bar based on whose rules I build the car to.
Brads givin me bad news about the bits currently installed and their (in)eligibilty in ITA so I have to do some research and make some choices. wacko.gif
Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Tony C
What class are you intending to run? Here is a link to an ITA legal cage I built:

ITA 914 rollcage

As Brad says below it needs the Petty bar to be legal, but we normally wait until after most of the interior work is done as it is not fun to work around.

-Tony
Brad Roberts
Its missing the petty bar to be 100% SCCA legal, but we normally install those after the car has been assembled. Pain in the ass trying to move around the bar and install interior crap.

Actually... you can go backwards from the main hoop if you dont plan on running stockish classes in PCA club racing (cant pass through the bulkheads)

B
campbellcj
QUOTE(Tony C @ Mar 27 2003, 09:27 PM)
As Brad says below it needs the Petty bar to be legal, but we normally wait until after most of the interior work is done as it is not fun to work around.

Not to mention that you will invent some new swear words while trying to remove/install your seats the first couple of times. wacko.gif
EdwardBlume
ar15.gif ar15.gif

Tony, Any chance you could build a car trailer, or weld a kit together? If so how much?

Thanks, R

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Tony C
I am too busy to build a one off trailer and make it cost effective for you. There are a lot of used trailers on the used market right now. I would have no way to quote you other than $65/hour, because I don't know how long it would take.

-tony
EdwardBlume
Tony, thanks anyway.

Where are you seeing the used trailers?
Dave_Darling
Hmmm... Is it worthwhile to have the Petty bar be bolt-in? That could make the car a little more friendly to work on, not to mention transporting your tools and such...

--DD
Tony C
Dave, that is possible, even more so now that I have these really cool tubing connectors.

IPB Image

IPB Image

-Tony
jonwatts
QUOTE(Tony C @ Mar 28 2003, 09:02 AM)
Dave, that is possible, even more so now that I have these really cool tubing connectors.

Oooh Oooh, gimme gimme
bhfast
Hey Tony,
where did you get those connectors, and how much do they run? they would work great for one of my projects.
Brian
seanery
Is the petty bar the one that runs from the driver's shoulder(ish) to the passenger's foot area?
Brad Roberts
Correct on the petty bar location. SCCA says: if you dont go backwards from the main hoop you have to go forwards. I dont go backwards because these are dual purpose SCCA/PCA cars and PCA says we cant pass through the bulkheads for our classes. The key with these cages: you can grow the car into any class. These are production legal all the way up to GT legal. Just ad to them for each class. I was tired of seeing cars built pidgeon holed into classes. You could only sell the car for one class and never ad too it if you wanted to move up.

B
Tony C
Brian, I designed the connectors and had them made. Mueller helped with the pro-e work. If you want to buy them they are $80. They are made from A12 tool steel and were quite expensive to make. I have them in 1.5 and 1.75 tubing diameters.

-Tony
jonwatts
Those connectors look like a good beginning to a double ended light sabre (like the dark sith's).

Did I just say that? What a dork I am. laugh.gif
Mueller
Jon, yes we know you are a dork...the giveaway was your Star Trek PJ's you wore down to the Dunkels swapmeet, smile.gif

Those puppies can be used as a weapon just the way they are....I did a quick analysis and the smaller size wieghs 12.8 oz each
jonwatts
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 28 2003, 04:46 PM)
Jon, yes we know you are a dork...the giveaway was your Star Trek PJ's you wore down to the Dunkels swapmeet, smile.gif

Oh Mike, that reminds me I had a message for you. Sadam Hussein called, he'd like his yellow shirt back :finger2:
GWN7
Tony,

can you do a cage in kit form?

I have a 72 that I have gathered all the bits and pieces for, except I don't have the title, hence it can't go back on the road. So I was thinking...the local sports car club runs Ice races and they require a cage to enter them. Figure it would be something racing to do during the long winters.
Britain Smith
This is a little late on the response for the topic, but Tony does awesome work. I have been to his shop and seen his work in action.

I would recommend him to anyone and if I had a 914 right now, I would sign up for one of those cages.

Just my two cents...

-Britain
campbellcj
I might want/need to convert my petty bar to a removable one, if possible, using connectors like that. I haven't confirmed this yet, but I think some of the local groups will have serious heartburn about letting instructors (or students) ride in the passenger seat (when I install one) with the bar in place.

Any thoughts?
fuch toy
Will a 356 cage count?????
Tony C
GWN7, Yes I "may" be doing two cages for kits. However, they will be weld in and will require an EXPERIENCED fabricator to fit them. A cage in kit form will be $7-800.

-Tony
Tony C
Campbell, No problem. Are you still thinking about the camber boxes? I could modify the petty bar then.

-Tony
Tony C
Zois, Yes a 356 could be included, but it may be a little more money. Please contact me directly using my email address at the bottom of my posts.

-Tony
Tony C
OK Guys, last post for tonite. This is the LAST CALL for this group buy. If you are sitting on the fence act now. This is a $400 savings over the normal price. Please email me directly by using the email address at the bottom of my post.
-Tony
campbellcj
QUOTE(Tony C @ Apr 18 2003, 07:04 PM)
Campbell, No problem. Are you still thinking about the camber boxes? I could modify the petty bar then.

-Tony

Still not sure on the coil-overs & camber boxes. Still plenty of projects that prolly need to be tackled before that.

I'll find out if I really need to make the bar removable. If they don't make me, I won't.
Mueller
Tony....does the car have to run???

I'm still a few weeks away (or more) from a running 914 MDB2.gif
L8Apex
Put me to work! mueba.gif
jonwatts
Mikeeee, I'm sure as long as the car rolls and steers it'll be fine. Tony is doing my cage and I'm nowhere near having it running (I have to put it together just so it rolls and steers).

Oh, and I may have to hit you up for a tow-job from my place to his shop. If your trailer has standard connections then I can tow it with my truck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.