Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Florida, where is best
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Kathleen & I have decided that next year(2004) would be good to visit Florida. We have a free week from a timeshare trade we need to use. We just aren't sure where the best area to go is for lounging & just being a tourist, seeing the sites, history etc... and what time of year. (don't wanna go when it's too friggin HOT)Heard of one area in the St. Petersburg/ Tampa area. Don't know which side is best, East or West beaches. What say y'all that live there or the ones that have visited? Gonna be stayin at a resort clap56.gif

...........b
seanery
the gulf waters are cleaner, and so are the beaches, but the waves crash more on the ocean side. I enjoyed Key West. Not much beach there, but it's a cool place!
redshift
The e-coast is inhabited by Neandertal Man, criminals, and deer ticks.

The Gulf side is beautiful in the mid-to-east panhandle area, to nearly Tampa, then again after Bradenton.

I like the area of the panhandle west of Tallahassee best.

M
Jake Raby
I like the west coast best.... Better beaches and not such violent surf, little undertow also..

I normally go down toward Ft Myers, Bonita Beach or Sanibel/Captiva Islands.....Can't go wrong with Spring or fall for a visist, just don't go down in june/july/august and the heat won't be too bad.

I go down to go fishing when I get the chance... Not often lately.
URY914
Bruce,
Let me start by saying I've lived in Florida all my life and there is something for everyone. You just have to narrow it down. Go to a few websites and check out what the different areas have to offer, get a map, and do some homework.

I could go into great detail and discribe each area but it would take forever. Tampa/St. Pete has plenty to do. Summers will be too hot. Spring (March-May) is the best because there is a lot of things planed then and some of the winter folks are headed back North.

PM me if you narrow it down and have some questions.

Paul
redshift
I second the Sanibel idea also, different... better even..

M
Qarl
Sanibel/Captiva on the Gulf side. Also Napes, FL and Venice, FL. In Venice you can snorkel off the beach and find fossilized sharks teeth (even really big ones) or dig through the shells on the beach and find them.

Also the Panhandle is really pretty around San Destin (West of Panama City)

Stay away from the Miami, Ft Lauderdale. West Palm area. too crowded.

Daytona is crowded as is New Smyrna Beach and the Canaveral areas (Space Coast).

The nice part about Florida is that you can drive across the State in a couple of hours. So you could stay in the Tampa/St. Pete area and visit the Space Center after a 3 hour drive.
Gint
I've been to Tampa/St Pete, Jacksonville, Daytona, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Miami, Key West and the last trip was to Pensacola. While in the Navy I was also stationed in Pensacola and Kings Bay GA. (just north of Jacsonville). I can echo what the others have said. Gulf Coast from Tampa to Pensacola are fantastic. After being stationed in Pensacola for 3 months, I had to go there when I was 40 to realize how beautiful it really is.

BUT, for my money, if I was going for one week for the first time, knowing what I know, I would stay in Key Largo. From there you can drive the rental beater all the way down to Key West AND both ends of Everglades Nationl Park. Although Key West itself didn't thrill me that much (very small tourist town essentially), the Keys themselves are simply gorgeous.

BTW, The Keys in February are awesome. Spring is the best time in Florida.
72914S
The keys are a great place after the snow-birds are gone.Having lived in the Miami area for 25+ years ,way to crowded there. I do think the best beaches are on the west coast. Pensacola has some really great beaches;one of the reasons I moved here.
jonwatts
I grew up in St. Pete within a few blocks of the gulf. I never was a beach person for some reason but I do like the keys. The water is blue and clear on the southern tip of the state whereas the gulf is pretty green. I think for some weird reason it even tends to be less humid down there.

One thing to factor in to any Florida vacation is the tourist tax (no, seriously). Since the state has no income tax and relies so heavily on tourism certain industries like rental cars and hotels are additionally taxed. When I moved out of state about 5 years ago it was somewhere around 14%, not sure where it is now. Just don't want anyone to be surprised when they go to pay that $200 rental car bill and see 14% added on.

Not a bad place to grow up but it was years before I learned the world wasn't flat.
Porsche Rescue
From another Oregonian, gulf coast is best. I haven't been north of Tampa/St.Petersburg but have spent time in the keys and space coast area as well as Miami Beach. I like Naples, Ft. Myers, Sanibel, Captiva best. Going to Marco Island in January (wife has a work conference and she lets me go along).
Jake Raby
There is no better beaches than on sanibel from what I have experienced... We own property there and have been visiting there since I was about 3 years old...... I have an awesome cottage that you should look into renting if you want to go to sanibel.......
72Signal914
I've lived in FL for just about my whole entire life. It all depends on what you want to do and what you are into. Sonce no one has brought it up I will. I live on Siesta Key (island off of Sarasota). The Siesta Key beach was ranked in the top 10 beaches according to E!. Also, if you or your wife likes art of any sort the Ringling Museum is there also, lots of small antique shops, but a great atmosphere to relax in. Don't know exactly what you're looking for but try to stay on the Gulf Coast or the Miami/Keys area (water clarity). Good luck, PM me for any information about Sarasota or the area.
machina
I grew up here in miami beach.

Haven't actually been to the beach in years, except with my 3 year old a couple times.

If you like to party your ass off and watch actual naked euopean models on the beach, come down here to the beach around 21st street, stay in one of the historic hotels, check out some of the restaurants.

When you had enough of that, start driving on down to the keys. Stop along the way maybe a night or two. Totaly different, laid back, slow, relaxing.

Key west can be crazy as well but in a sand in shoes margarita sort of way.

On the other hand, if you want simply beautiful beaches but with a little less character, check out the west coast.

Bring the sunblock.

dr
Gint
BTW Bruce,

If you are within driving distance of Ocallala FL., Don Garlits' museum of Drag Racing is a must see.
Bruce Allert
Thank you all. smilie_pokal.gif With all this info we are looking at various places & I'm sure we will be able to get a great trade with our timeshare holdings. We have quite a few months for planning so it will deffinetly be a fun time.
So, which of the car rental places rent 914's? laugh.gif
YasureUbetcha....... Ole beer.gif

...........b
URY914
Ocala
Gint
OK, so I got "a" and "l" happy. sad.gif
need4speed
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 14 2003, 05:59 PM)
. . . .
Let me start by saying I've lived in Florida all my life and there is something for everyone. . . . .

Mountains?
Desert?
The ability to sit outside at dusk and not get devoured by disease-ridden parasites?

feh.

Hate Florida.
My last employer tried to force me to transfer there.
Was likely the ultimate cause of my being laid off too.

Just found out from my new employer; I'm going to be "stationed" there for the next 6 months too.

It's like a destiny I can't escape.
URY914
Need4speed,
Thank you for those kind words.
As if f-up'd Calf. is so perfect.
Bruce Allert
Can't be THAT bad... I've been in most of the "ARMPIT" places of the world & Florida back in the early 70's came across as pretty damned nice. What was it that frizzy haired guy said? "everything is relative" wink.gif

.........b
74GoKart
I have vacationed up and down both sides of Florida, even lived in Clearwater for a while. I would suggest checking out Anna Maria Island or Longboat Key. The beaches are clean, not packed with people, and the water is nice. I like the beaches there better than Sanibel Island, because the broken shells on Sanibel aren't fun to walk on. Siest Key would also be up there in my top choices. Of course, if you can make a run over to South Beach, there are usually some nice rides, and lots of interesting night life.
Rouser
Need4speed,

Ditto URY914! clap56.gif
redshift
QUOTE(need4speed @ Dec 16 2003, 01:29 PM)
It's like a destiny I can't escape.

You are going to love Destin!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?count...Destin&state=FL

I used to play in a club down there once a year, or so.

laugh.gif

M
redshift
I also noticed Paul never took the bait on my first post in this thread.

smile.gif

M
URY914
M,
I got it, but I agree with you.

Did you play at Cash's on the island?

Paul
TJB/914
Hey Redshift,
I agree the Destin area is great. I am on my way to Blue Mountain Beach (15 miles East of Destin) this Friday for the Holiday's at my Condo. Blue Mountain is the highest elevation on the Gulf Rim (66 ft. above sea level) & beaches are beautiful. Some one said it's sometimes called the "Red Neck Riveria". All the rich folks from down South go there in the summer to excape the heat. December & January are the coolest months so it's a little chilly at this time. I will be checking out the area for 914's when down there.
Tom, from Up-North Michigan
redshift
I tried to remember the name of the club... hmm.. can't remember Paul.

If we were all kids, I'd say let's head out to the East, and start trolling around Stuart_Ft. Pierce.. those girls were almost as wild as the ones in Arkansas, and just slightly wilder than girls from Memphis, and Memphis women are nuts.

M
need4speed
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 16 2003, 12:36 PM)
Need4speed,

Nothing personal. I just don't fit in to that "something for everyone" - and I'm a little ticked about my personal situation, of being forced to go there.

California certainly isn't perfect - I'll be first to agree that it's f-ed up. But it sure fits "something for everyone" a lot better. Truth be told, there's plenty of other places I would pick Florida over if I had to choose.

The main thing that irritates me about Florida is Orlando - and how everybody and their 6 brothers there seems to want to slip their hand into your pocket if you just happen to be there to visit Walt's place. Fortunately, I won't be near Orlando this time. (though I might just make the drive to spend a night or two at Malibu Grand Prix).

I guess the same could be said about California - only everyone and their 6 brothers want to slip their hand into your pocket if you happen to try to own property.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.