Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roller cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Been reading all over the place about roller cams and their benefits. Though I've even seen pictures of 'em, I can't define exactly what makes them different, or why they allow for performance gains.

I *think* I understand that it's related to "more aggressive" cam lobe profiles..? idea.gif Now if only I knew WTF.gif "more aggressive" means when talking about cam lobes!

Would much appreciate a little clarification...

Thanks
Chris Pincetich
Jake Raby made some for TIV engines, but only his in-house custom builds sad.gif

I'm no expert, but have been reading a lot about them and talked a bit with McMark....basically a normal cam is flat tapped and the ovalish lobe pushes on the flat lifters that move the valves. A roller cam is actually roller lifters...the cam looks normal. The lifters are not flatish where they ride on the camshaft, they have little wheels. This GREATLY reduces friction at the cam lifter interface (ever seen a photo of a worn out cam lobe?). The cam can then be ground more radically, so the valves can open and close faster, which is awesome for performance. So, roller cam is steeper sloped lobes and lifters that roll on the cam surface...it is the whole enchilada.

I want one beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Cam lobes do not look normal. the shape is WAY different. The ramp speeds are significantly faster. There is less friction too. SO if the engine is using less power to just turn itself over there will be more to push the car. and it does make more power also.

Lavanaut
Ahhh ok. That makes sense Chris, thanks. Yep, it's Jake's work I've been reading about while grappling constantly with the future of my teener, or the the acquisition of the one I don't yet own. The roller cam deveolpments just make the whole decision that much more "interesting". blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
If you have LOTS of money it will still be tough to get an engine with roller cam technology.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 11 2007, 02:36 PM) *

Those are the exact pics I was talking about, thanks. What I glossed over the first time I saw them, but notice now (thanks Chris) is the roller itself as seen in the below pic (borrowed with respect from the above thread, hope you don't mind Jake) clap56.gif

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
insane valve opening and closing speeds.....

if you can open and close the valve faster, you can have it open all the way for longer periods of time.....
Jake Raby
Funny this should pop up today as I am actually working on the final revision of our roller lifter tooling and have just finished a flawless bushing installation for some tests tomorrow...

I'll post some pics and provide a lengthy post on the benefits of roller cams in these engines. I will try to do this tonight-

We are working very hard to have all RAT Turnkey engines roller equipped by the end of March 2008, I had wanted this done by the end of 2007 but refinement of the parts, tooling and the vast amount of engine combination development we have to do is not making the date a possibility.

This is the most tedious development work i have ever done here to date, every part of it is critical and there are no margins of error during the design and fitting procedures.

The results are worth the effort, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Lavanaut
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 11 2007, 03:56 PM) *

I'll post some pics and provide a lengthy post on the benefits of roller cams in these engines. I will try to do this tonight-

I'll look forward to reading more when there's info to be consumed. Thanks for the reply, the future looks promising for the Type IV. boldblue.gif
Jake Raby
Very promising. As long asI can keep my sanity and my health long enough to see it all through- place is driving me crazy lately!
So.Cal.914
If you aren't happy and healthy you ain't got shit, stop and smell the flowers Jake...

And maybe smoke a few. smoke.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 11 2007, 05:03 PM) *

If you aren't happy and healthy you ain't got shit, stop and smell the flowers Jake...

And maybe smoke a few. smoke.gif

I am plenty happy, hell I should be because we are on the verge of virtually revolutionizing the engine and getting to the point I have wanted to be fore 10 years. The issue is that its all coming together at once..

I have just about come to the conclusion that soon I will have to go into hiding for 3-4 months to get this all finished swiftly and correctly.

Slowing down isn't an option no matter what happens.
Brando
roller rocker technology... awesome. How long before you implement spherical valves? smile.gif
Jake Raby
Roller LIFTERS- Not rockers. Adding a roller rocker does very little and doesn't open any doors to added performance.

I made a post in the R&D portion of my forum community last night, I'll do the same here tomorrow morning (been at the track testing all day and I am beat)
Jake Raby
Just a teaser :-)
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brer
wow.
Brando
oooooh pretty. Why must you tease us so.. why?
Jake Raby
It's kinda like a bitch in tight jeans....
SGB
My mouth is haging open from those pictures...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.