Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mass Air Meters 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nowlings
Does anyone know of the serviceability of the mass air meter for the 1.8L. Im sure this was probably covered before, but I couldn't find it using the search feature. Has anyone tried with success to file down the areas where the flap door inside the meter sticks when it moves through its range of motion. I wasn't sure if this still allows unmetered air through causing further driveability issues. Are there any meters out there that interchange with the 1.8L porsche application. These things are still expensive even if they are rebuilds. Thanks for any recommendations or feedback. beerchug.gif
Katmanken
The flaps aren't supposed to stick. Your box may have experienced a backfire through the intake which bent the flap.

There are similar air metrers on various cars, but they are tuned for the volume of air for that car, and may have different connections. Some time with a volt ohm meter (VOM) to measure the resisitance across a series of flap angles might give you a resistance curve for your box and a trip to a junkyard with your VOM and measurements might turn up a similar box.

Ken
nowlings
That's a good idea with the VOM... I am sure that the lean backfire is the source of the problem as well as some of the used MAFs that Ive looked at. The number of vacuum hoses and connections was not helpful for this set-up.
Brando
It's not a MAF sensor, it's an Air Flow Sensor.

MAF sensors use a heated core element and air passing over it 'cools' the element, telling the engine management system volumetrically how much air is passing through into the intake manifold.

The AFS on L-Jetronic uses a 'door' that moves contacts across a board, changing voltage and telling the ECU how much air volumetrically is passing into the intake manifold.

That explained... The door on yours should not stick. Look at getting a replacement. I don't know if there is a place that rebuilds them but doing it yourself is not a feasible task.
Al Meredith
JC Whitney has these sensors in their VW book. How you know which one is interchangable with the 914 I don't know
Brando
Look at yours to see how many pins in the side of the air flow sensor.

You will also have to calibrate it for your engine (all are different).
dr914@autoatlanta.com
buy a rebuilt one. May suppliers have them for 165 and they are the proper calibrated part
nowlings
thanks for the suggestions all, I guess 165 for part isn't too bad as long as I do everything right to prevent from happening again.
jim_hoyland
I had mine rebuilt. agree.gif $165 is a good price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.