Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio static
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrofit
I Know there are some audio wizards at this site and could use some help.
The 914 I have no problems with. It's my '95 Chev PU. Have too much static on AM stations. Noise is also rpm related. Like alternator whine. FM is fine. Radio /CD is a Pioneer.
Local car audio shops really don't want to work on the problem.
Called Pioneer tech support and they suggested checking the ground.
Looks like I have to fend for myself
Going to pull out the radiio/cd and one at a time:
1. Check ground. Move ground to something like chassis or stiffening bars in dash
2. Run new power lead from battery to radio with fuse near radio. Try to get clean power.
3. Have alternator bench tested? Diodes?
4. Check antenna lead from radio to antenna.
5. Check for corrosion where antenna attaches to body.
Anything else?
Do noise filters work? May try one as last resort.
Ironic that my '74 with an old radio gets clean and clear signals while '95 PU with newer state of the art radio is giving me a headache! headbang.gif
dlo914
try going w/ a resistor spark plug.
retrofit
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Jul 12 2007, 01:47 AM) *

try going w/ a resistor spark plug.

Forgot to mention that. I do have R plugs.
Any other ideas???
skline
I know you said you checked the antenna lead from the mast to the radio, but perhaps you should check it again, on the 89 to 98 chevy trucks, they had a 2 piece lead from the mast to the radio. The split was behind the glovebox in the cowl. The connection there was almost always crappy and poorly grounded causing all kinds of radio problems. If you really want to eliminate them, replace the antenna with an aftermarket one with a single lead going to the radio.
914nerd
Better EM shilded spark plug wires
Maybe?
retrofit
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jul 12 2007, 02:34 PM) *

Better EM shilded spark plug wires
Maybe?

Went to MSD wires. Was part of a tuneup. Helped a bit. With the static RPM related I keep thinking alternator(?) confused24.gif
914nerd
You can always try by building a faraday cage for your alternator and seeing if that helps reduce the static
tyler

Can't you pull the belt from the alternator and try it?

Went to MSD wires. Was part of a tuneup. Helped a bit. With the static RPM related I keep thinking alternator(?) confused24.gif
[/quote]
914nerd
You could just disconnect the alternator, but it's so much less fun
biggrin.gif
Basically, start going through the ignition system and shielding things (or disconnecting them) and see if it helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.