914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moneysmarts
AA is out of stock for a few weeks. headbang.gif

Who else has 'em?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(moneysmarts @ Jul 12 2007, 07:41 AM) *

AA is out of stock for a few weeks. headbang.gif

Who else has 'em?

They say Dave at GPR has every 914 part one could imagine. Why go anywhere else? Plus he is a hell of a nice guy!
moneysmarts
Thanks George.
I'll try them.
moneysmarts
dry.gif Dave says he doesn't deal with step up studs.
Said the best thing to do is have a machine shop weld, drill and tap new holes.
icon8.gif

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I thought I could just drill, tap, and twist a 10mm x 8 in the new threaded hole.

Anybody else got a source for the steped up studs?
Chris Pincetich
TIV store!
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php
I know they have some step studs...not sure if those are in stock, but it couldn't hurt to try.
Definitely call if you don't see them on the web!
beerchug.gif
moneysmarts

Thanks Chris.
I called Jake's shop.
He's out test-racing a new motor.
Any other ideas?
Oled
Try the dealer or a good Bug shop
rigglet
Here is what I did to fix mine. May not be the optimal solution, but it was the only one I had at the time.

I drilled, tapped and helicoiled the head where I pulled the exhaust stud. I had to put in larger studs because I could get any step studs either. I then drilled our the ear on the heat exchanger so that the stud would fit.

Again, not the best solution, but it has worked for me so far. I'm sure it will backfire on me at some point.

Oh...also, I didn't have an issue drilling the heat exchanger because mine are not in the best shape and will need to be replaced someday anyway. I figure when I do that I will have the heads redone properly. smile.gif
jk76.914
Bel-Metric in Tyngsboro, MA has them. Along with a LOT of other metric fasteners for German cars. One stop shopping. www.bel-metric.com

I also got my time-sert kit from them for my own exhaust stud.

Click to view attachment
moneysmarts
Thanks Jim.

By the way, why did you go with the time-sert instead of an 8x10 step thread?

Steve
andys
I used to repair pulled head studs on Kawasaki 2-strokes by using a Suzuki M8 x M10 step down stud. Been way to many years to remember the application, but go to a good dirt bike shop and I'm certain you'll find something that works. Some other MX bikes used step down studs as well. Talk to a MX mechanic.

Andys
bondo
Wasserboxer rocker studs are M8 x M10. The later 2.1 liter ones I think. They're a little too long on the 10mm side, but that's easily fixed. smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Great news!!!!!! 8/10x56 and 8/8x56 studs will be here wednesday July 18th! We have in stock the 8/9x56 of course. Please let us know of your needs and we will send then.
Gint
This is the method I prefer...

http://www.timesert.com/

I don't remember the exact measurements, but the hole size required to install the 8mm timsert is more than enough fill the same hole of the 10mm stud you plan on tapping for now. And then you can just use regular 8x1.25 studs.
moneysmarts
Thanks for all the input guys.
I'll take a few pics when I make the repair.
Steve
Van914
Steve,
I found some step down studs at Sears Hardware.
Van914
jk76.914
QUOTE(moneysmarts @ Jul 12 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks Jim.

By the way, why did you go with the time-sert instead of an 8x10 step thread?

Steve

Finally got a minute to get back to you.....

I initially put in a 9mm x 8mm step stud. Unfortnually, when the original 8mm pulled, it must have left a ragged hole, and so even though the 9mm oversize seemed snug, and torqued OK, it must not have had a deep enough bite, because it pulled again in only 1000 miles.

So I didn't want to only go 1mm up again, this time from 9mm to 10mm, and risk it again. The timesert for a 9mm inside thread had an outside thread of almost 11mm. So I got the kit for 9mm. Installation was a piece of cake. That aluminum cuts like butter.

The 10mm step stud would have been a better solution right from the get go.

Fruit for thought- I would not do a 9mm step stud again, unless it's to replace sound 8mm threads as insurance. Also, make sure the alignment on the HEs is perfect- front AND back. I had to "persuade" mine into alignment with the hanger in the rear, and that stressed the studs at the ports. So, when I timeserted the pulled stud, I removed the hanger in the back and dragged its transmission mounting holes so it could align perfectly with the HEs without all that residual stress.

I see you're in central Mass? I'm in Newburyport. If you think you'd like to try the timesert option, I'd be glad to lend you my kit, and we can figure out where to meet. The kit costed me almost $100, and it came with 5 inserts. I doubt I'll ever have any use for 9mm timeserts again, so you're welcome to the kit and a couple of the inserts.... PM me and let me know.

Jim

Gint
You can buy more inserts if/when you need them.

I really like timeserts. That's the way I'd go (and in fact have in the past).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.