Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I find my old vin number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I'm trying to find the vin # of a 914-6 i owned in 1985-1987. Tried AAA, and they would not help. Looking for someone with CA DMV access to find the VIN of theat car. Reason is, I want to see if it is still around and possible buy back.

PM me if you can help, I'll provide my registration name, address, etc

Thanks, Jim
PeeGreen 914
The Vehicle Identification Number should be on all records you had (Registration) if you still have any. Maybe try the insurance company you had back then, but They generally only carry back records for ten years.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 12 2007, 08:35 PM) *

The Vehicle Identification Number should be on all records you had (Registration) if you still have any. Maybe try the insurance company you had back then, but They generally only carry back records for ten years.

Didn't keep any records and didn't need to give the vin to insurance company at that time.
PeeGreen 914
chair.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif Well, maybe one of the teeners on here knows where it is. Any pics of it?
jim_hoyland
Don't have any pictures anymore. Really need to find the vin and then see if it appears on car-fax, PCA, or 914 world. Maybe someone out there has access to what I need
PeeGreen 914
Good luck to ya. I hope you find it.
markb
DMV won't be any help for something that far back.They generally only keep the current owner, unless it's recently changed hands.
Johny Blackstain
Why don't you describe it? Maybe someone here will recognize it.

cool_shades.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 12 2007, 11:10 PM) *

Why don't you describe it?

That's what I was thinking. My 914-6 came from California. See my avatar.

Skip
BMartin914
Here in Colorado, you can do a VIN search for any VIN # you want, just fill out the correct paperwork. It costs a couple of dollars and is intended to allow the owner (presumably) to prove that there is no lein on the title of the vehicle.

I would think it a strong possibility that CA has a simillar process for searching a vehicle's VIN #.

bondo
Do you remember the license plate number? It could have the same plates now if it never left the state. There's also a CA smog check site that will show the smog history of a car by vin AND license plate number. I don't remember the URL though.
mikerose
QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 13 2007, 08:48 AM) *

Do you remember the license plate number? It could have the same plates now if it never left the state. There's also a CA smog check site that will show the smog history of a car by vin AND license plate number. I don't remember the URL though.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx
rudedude
Jim,
My car came from california and I am sure many others also.
How about a brief description and was it licensed under your name?
I"ll look at my records but I don't think I would ever part with my car.
Good luck!
Jule
brer
a guy I knew had a custom truck built by Barris and stripped by THE man when he came back from vietnam. looked up the plate in the 90's as his wife was an attorney and requested the info. It was in some guys garage, had no idea what he had.

jim_hoyland
I'v gone through all my records and I cannot find anything with Lic # or Vin. The only thing I remember is the seller license number was YESFUND. He managed a mutual fund at the time.
I do remember registering the VIN with PCA, but I doubt there are any record that far back, and I didn't keep up the membership.It was smogged when I owned it.

It was a stock 914-6 painted Maroon, but was originally green. Nothing distintive. Sold it to a couple from Long Beach.

I was hoping to query the DMV datebase on my name and see if it still has the 914-6's vin.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.