Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Spring Rate Paint Color Code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnhora
Does anyone have the paint color code that was used for the rear springs on the 914. They were painted black and then had a color paint mark on the spring to designate the spring rate....I have seen some marked green and some yellow...

Thanks...John
914Sixer
According to the factory manual, cars built after 19 May 72 had 10mm longer springs.
Group 1 220-227 kp 1 green dot
Group 2 227-233 kp 2 green dots
Group 3 233-240 kp 3 green dots

It also seems like I remember something about the early springs having red and or white dots on them but I found nothing in the factory manual to support this.
davep
Mark is correct. The basic thing was that the springs had a relatively wide range of stiffness. So the factory divided this range into three groups to lessen the effect that widely mismatched spring would have on handling. Thus, only pairs of springs of similar stiffness were installed on a car. If a single spring required replacement, then only a spring of that rate group should be used for that car. It makes very little difference which rate group is actually installed; that would amount to very fine tuning.
johnhora
Thanks Guys...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.