Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Sins... I need to get it off my chest....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
A thread on backdating a '75/'76 to earlier 2.0 Exhaust has pushed me over the edge and I must confess.....

A year and 1/2 ago I moved from Bay Area to San Diego. In the 3 months of getting the house ready to sell, and getting the 914 into a roller, overwhelming anxiety got more and more intense... I wasn't gonna meet the "deadline". I started throwing things into the back of the pickup. Yes, I got into one of those rash-decision-making furies and started chucking good stuff...

I lost faith, and decided in an instance to simply get the '76 reassembled, smogged and sold, so .......I......I......I......

I chucked the complete and perfectly good '74 2.0 exhaust system that another board member GAVE me!!!...[i] pinch.gif ....

confused24.gif I feel really stupid now... I even watched as the loader at the dumpstation scooped up the exhaust and all the other crap I'd emptied from the pickup and dropped it into the "sort" pile.. one step away from the landfill.

OOOOOOOOOHHHH I feel so dirty....(where is the "rape shower" emoticon?) headbang.gif ...

I feel aweful... it's all coming back so vividly.....

Be kind....

So, here's an opportunity to sit in a circle and admit your sins. This is the first and most difficult step.
VaccaRabite
Yes I have done that, but not with 914 stuff.

In an emotionally charged move several years ago, I chucked a lot of the things that I owned rather then needing to pack them (or sell them).

Zach
thomasotten
And here I am hanging on to worthless 1.7 junk heads, 1.7 heat exchangers, 1.7 monza exhausts....
SGB
I have an exhaust related sin as well-
I traded some old heat exchangers to stromberg.gif way back when for some other parts. I guess he rattle canned 'em and e-bayed 'em off as SSIs.
ar15.gif
PeeGreen 914
Oh you are going to914 hell for that one happy11.gif We have all done something similar.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I drilled a rear panel and installed a rear update kit once about 20 years ago.
por73914
I sold 4 deep 6's for 500.00 last year! headbang.gif

confessing didn't really make me feel any better just reminded me how stupid I am barf.gif
brer
1.7 heads aren't junk.
wink.gif
BigDBass
I've coveted another man's 914.
por73914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 13 2007, 12:01 PM) *

I've coveted another man's 914.

That's a sin? confused24.gif I am going to HELL! happy11.gif
SirAndy
i used perfectly good *original* /6 parts to repair a window at my house.

i'm looking at it as i type this ...
blink.gif Andy
watsonrx13
I cut up a very rusted parts car. When I gathered up the left over parts, I checked with a number of the local guys about throwing out (2) perfectly good doors, no rust on the bottom, window working well. The answer was, 'Yea throw those things away, you can get more for next to nothing if you need to.' So, they were trashed. Well, I now need (2) good doors, with windows, to replace the stripped, rusted ones I have....

So yea..... doh.... blink.gif

-- Rob
Johny Blackstain
I don't know if I'd call it a 914 sin, but I drove mine when I was 13, 3 years before I got my license. happy11.gif

cool_shades.gif
Steve Thacker
I have sinnnnned. Yeeesss frieeeends I have sinned. I created a abomination by putting a kit on my car. I haaaava blasa-phemed the holy grail of the 914. BWHAAA!

Sniff..Sniff..
Please turn your pages to the good book, Haynes manual section 5 chapter 3.
Wheeeer it state-sa that "Damned are those who blaspheme when selling car as rust free"

Noooowww frieeends open up your hymn books and let us sing praise to the mighty Porsche father with the song... "No rust shall I find" f ollowed up by hymn 25,
"How high are thou jackstands" : pray.gif
por73914
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jul 13 2007, 01:59 PM) *

I have sinnnnned. Yeeesss frieeeends I have sinned. I created a abomination by putting a kit on my car. I haaaava blasa-phemed the holy grail of the 914. BWHAAA!

Sniff..Sniff..
Please turn your pages to the good book, Haynes manual section 5 chapter 3.
Wheeeer it state-sa that "Damned are those who blaspheme when selling car as rust free"

Noooowww frieeends open up your hymn books and let us sing praise to the mighty Porsche father with the song... "No rust shall I find" f ollowed up by hymn 25,
"How high are thou jackstands" : pray.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
orthobiz
Thou Shalt Not Lie

I cracked the driver's corner in college and it needed a new fender, new bumper, new front strut, etc. While waiting for the repair, I replaced my 914 with an Alfa Spyder Veloce and sold the 914 as soon as the bodywork was done.

Upon sale, I was less than forthcoming about the reason for the apparent newness of the left front corner of the car. Back in the 70's I'd rather die than admit to bodywork.

Anyway, my friend Danny said something to the prospective buyer like, "you know, you make more right turns than left turns getting on and off the highway, maybe that's why this area looks so clean." And...

...the guy bought it: the explanation AND the car! Am I going to hell, too?

Paul
Steve Thacker
Oh dear teener brother...You gonna burn for that one.
Be like sleeping on a fry daddy.... happy11.gif

Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2007, 10:15 AM) *

blink.gif Andy

I've GOT to see that one
jonferns
our red 914 was cut in half......twice

<gasp> -JON
rmital
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 13 2007, 02:37 PM) *

our red 914 was cut in half......twice

<gasp> -JON

jonferns
close enough...biggrin.gif
JC 914
headbang.gif headbang.gif
Got married in '73, within a month bought a '71, within a week got a bad case of buyer's remorse ( I was making $4.50/hr, my wife was making $4.00/hr ), and took it back & bought a 25" color TV!!!!!!

Just bought my second ('74 2.0 ) this January!!! YEAH ME!!!!!!!
beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Betty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2007, 12:15 PM) *

blink.gif Andy

We have GOT to see a picture of this!!!!!!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 13 2007, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2007, 12:15 PM) *

blink.gif Andy

We have GOT to see a picture of this!!!!!!!!

old thread with pics can be found here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65406

biggrin.gif Andy
scotty
I sold my '75...

...suffered every time I saw one for 6 years after that...

...and bought a '74 when I could take it no more...

...without haggling over the price! alfred.gif

(but I still feel I got a good price)
kart54
A friend and I bought the only 914 to win a championship on the dirt at Santa Maria Speedway in California. We stripped the car. He took the engine for a race buggy and I took everything else.
Now, when I look back on it I cant believe we cut up the body and roll cage and had it hauled away for scrap. That was one of the strongest roll cages I've ever seen. I really regret cutting it up and letting it go like that.
The only good thing I can say is that a lot of the parts made it onto my roadracing car. But that car was unique as far as 914's go and very fast.
I have sinned. I will say five hail 914's and two fuch's.
Randy
Eric_Shea
I painted teak... tongue.gif
swl
I let mine rot in the garage for 20 years hanged.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 13 2007, 04:42 PM) *

I painted teak... tongue.gif

if this was a boating forum, you would hanged.gif

av-943.gif
Krieger
I may have commtted one of the worst sins, BUT I am currently working on redemption. Three years ago I bought a wrecked original 6. This car went down an embankment and crunched the front end, rolled 1x then the back end hit a tree. The rear end was bent down. The targa bar was folded down on either side of the rear window, BUT the glass was not broke! I stole the car with its 3.0 engine and dual 46 webers for $4,000. In one week it was a barely rolling shell. I took everything that would make it a 6 out. I even cut out sawzall-smiley.gif the engine mount, wire harness, dash, stubs, brakes, door plate, tank, tins. Less than a week later it was at a wrecking yard. I has sold most of the parts to fund my 914/6 3.0 track car. Please forgive me. I will try to find the pics I took to prove my case that this car was really gone.
IronHillRestorations
I welded the fender to cowl seams on a car. Sorry.
Pat Garvey
Not really 914, but air cooled.

In '64, when I was 17, my aunt had be do some yardwork & take her new Corvair to have it gassed up & checked over.

Asked the attendant (remeber those?) to chaeck the radiator. He couldn't find it.

Which one of us was dumber?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 13 2007, 07:37 PM) *

In '64, when I was 17, my aunt had be do some yardwork & take her new Corvair to have it gassed up & checked over.

Asked the attendant (remeber those?) to chaeck the radiator. He couldn't find it.

poke.gif I believe the answer is in the pudding

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 13 2007, 07:37 PM) *

In '64, when I was 17, my aunt had be do some yard work & take her new Corvair to have it gassed up & checked over.

Asked the attendant (remember those?) to check the radiator. He couldn't find it.

iamchappy
Welding fender cowl seams is not a sin brother, it's preventive maintenance.
iamchappy
The last car i cut up was definitely restorable.
scrz914
I too have sinned.
After taking the hoods, engine, tranny, and rims off a parts car...I hastily had it hauled to the scrap yard before family came to visit. As if it was an eyesore or something. I didn't even bother to take the VIN number for our club records. A nameless car has gone to a nameless grave. Forgive me oh Porsche gods. Oh the shame.
Eric_Shea
if this was a boating forum, you would

Just trying to find Brian's sweet spot poke.gif

biggrin.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 13 2007, 09:50 PM) *

if this was a boating forum, you would

Just trying to find Brian's sweet spot poke.gif

biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Johny Blackstain
Another one from my younger days is I used to go junkyard shopping & steal the badges off of 911s' & 914s' for decoration of the garge & tool boxes. At one point I had some 20 different 914 badges, six, gold, black, aluminum, 1.8, 2.0... all gone & thrown out when I "grew up" & was off to college in the summer of 81 headbang.gif . So anyone who went junkyard shopping in MD back in the early 80s' & saw teeners missing their rear badges it was probably my fault. I had to sleep on this just to remember it this morning!

cool_shades.gif
thomasotten
I don't want to sound like a Pharisee, but I haven't heard one person yet confess to putting a Subaru or Chevy in their car. Sin is still sin, even if it is popular....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 14 2007, 09:30 AM) *

I don't want to sound like a Pharisee, but I haven't heard one person yet confess to putting a Subaru or Chevy in their car. Sin is still sin, even if it is popular....

laugh.gif stirthepot.gif

cool_shades.gif
JPB
You all should be ashamed of yourselves for I, I stand before your shameless and without spot!!! I am the picture of teener perfection and am proud to not be like you sinners. I am blemish FRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!!! Okay so I may be a hypocrite, but damit, I a proud hypocrite. Don't sell or get rid of anything! For I, I have spoken! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.