Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! Need info for TX DPS! Dr 914? Andy? anybody?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
I have a car which I bought from a guy in California. He purchased the car from a guy in Canada. California issued plates then lost the info. I have to get the VIN verified for CA DMV. I get the TX DPS to verify, they want to know what the stamp in the trunk pertains to since it does not match the VIN. I have been told it matches the Karmann plate. Is this true? if so is there a recognized source to prove this???

I need help guys, its been 4 months since I purchased this car and I dont have the title yet.....

The intial thing was the guy doesnt know porsche so he was saying the VIN stamp is no longer on the right fender, so therefore it may be stolen.......its a slope nose that was modified in 1984..

Michael
dakotaewing
The VIN# in the front trunk on the plate under the passenger side headlight should match the VIN on the inside top front passenger fenderwell, the plate attached to the drivers side windshield pillar, and the sticker on drivers side door jam. The number stamped inside the rear trunk on the trunk floor passenger side rear corner I believe is the Karman body #, and does not corilate (sp?) with the VIN #.

If the four VIN# ids do not match, then you may have a car that was pieced together.

Best -
TE
michaelt55
this I know, my problem is, I need a source that I can send to DPS for this info. Also, this is a Canadian car so it has no sticker on drivers door frame. I just need a source, ie Pelican, AA, porsche, etc to reference from.

Michael

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jul 13 2007, 11:16 AM) *

The VIN# in the front trunk on the plate under the passenger side headlight should match the VIN on the inside top front passenger fenderwell, the plate attached to the drivers side windshield pillar, and the sticker on drivers side door jam. The number stamp inside the rear trunk on the trunk floor passenger side I believe is the Karman body #, and does not corilate (sp?) with the VIN #.

If the four VIN# ids do not match, then you may have a car that was pieced together.

Best -
TE

dakotaewing
Does the haynes manual or the factory manuals show the places for the VIN#'s?
michaelt55
I have the factory manual and it does not.

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jul 13 2007, 11:21 AM) *

Does the haynes manual or the factory manuals show the places for the VIN#'s?
por73914

Do you have the owners manual? confused24.gif Or do you know of anybody that may have one?
SirAndy
on a car that wasn't delivered to the US, there's only two places you can find the VIN.

- stamped on top of the pass. side front fender
- tag rivited to the pass. side headlight bucket

the haynes manual states the location of both on page 5, it even has a picture of the two locations ...
bye1.gif Andy
michaelt55
I know about the VIN locations.

is there a source to show what the stamped number in trunk is in reference to? I need an internet source so I can email it to the Texas DPS. You know, the Karmann plate number stamped in the right rear trunk?

Michael
SirAndy
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:19 AM) *

I know about the VIN locations.

is there a source to show what the stamped number in trunk is in reference to? I need an internet source so I can email it to the Texas DPS. You know, the Karmann plate number stamped in the right rear trunk?

Michael

check your PMs ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:19 AM) *

i do know that the number in the trunk matches the number on the karman plate that is rivited to the front of the drivers side door-jamb.
it's the karman body build number (also called chassis number) and marks the date the body was welded up at the karman factory.

it has absolutely *nothing* to do with the VIN ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
michaelt55
thanks Andy!!!!!
SirAndy
just in case you don't have a haynes manual and you need this info as well:

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif Andy

PS: click on the image above to load a full size version ...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
As per our conversation Michael, here is the scoop:

The 914/4 Karmann number (found on the left front door jamb number plate and stamped in the back of the rear trunk floor) is of the form WWD9ABB

WW is the week of the year (the car was built)
D is the day of the week (1 through 5)
9 don't know why it is there, but it never changes
A varies predictably; up to Sept 74 it is a base of 5
from Sept 74 it is a base of 0
so early cars: base of 9500 to which is added the daily sequence number
late cars: base of 9000 to which is added the daily sequence number

therefor you could get 9630 if the car was the 130th that day that came off the assembly line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.