Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Options: Ford "Zetec"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
I found another permutation of engine conversion choices which may translate to the 914 easily if the engine bay is similar to the Vanagon.

Bostig Engineering[size=2]

IPB Image

builds a kit to install the Ford Focus "Zetec" engine into Vanagons.

Bostig Website

IPB Image

It is a German-Ford so it has SOME merit.

IPB Image

Stock Zetecs are supposed to be good for

130 HP @ 5300rpm
and 7100 Redline
Engine Weight 290lbs
Ferg
Great Motor with TONS of aftermarket happy11.gif

Ferg driving.gif
BahnBrenner914
My ford fiesta is a German Ford and it's a little battletank, mostly because it's a de-tuned Formula Ford 1600 engine, so at balls-to-the-wall it's still not breaking a sweat.

130 hp isn't that much more than stock though. If I was going to do a full engine conversion, I'd want more ponies.
Ferg
SVT version is 170hp, add a simple supercharger and low 200's is easy...

Ferg
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:42 PM) *

My ford fiesta is a German Ford and it's a little battletank, mostly because it's a de-tuned Formula Ford 1600 engine, so at balls-to-the-wall it's still not breaking a sweat.

130 hp isn't that much more than stock though. If I was going to do a full engine conversion, I'd want more ponies.

Right out of the box, it outperforms any 914 engine and burns really clean with excellent fuel economy and reliability. There are apparently, lots of people who go for the turbo:

FiestaTurbo
ZetecInside

Then you've got Ford Racing Parts...

Ford Racing Focus Parts
IPB Image
Brian Mifsud
Of course, when it comes to Ford powertrains.. I'm partial to sticking one of these:

IPB Image

attached to one of these in the 914:

IPB Image

5.0 "Cammer", 400HP and 365 ft-lbs... Transaxle can take 600 ft-lbs should I feel the urge to Turbo, or Supercharge... laugh.gif laugh.gif
ThinAir
Would it actually fit into a 914? The Vanagon floor is pretty low so I'm thinking it might fit, but I'm wondering if the shape of the 914 engine compartment is a problem.
MecGen
Hey

Sounds like a great choice, the motor is realy, realy, solid. I have never opened a Zetec, or for that matter, never heard of someone having problems with the longblock.....can't say that for the Suby... bootyshake.gif

Gobbs of aftermarket parts, mega doner cars, fairly cheap and easy to find.

Thanx for the links !
Later

beerchug.gif
ottox914
I had 2001 ford focus S2 package car with the 2.0 Zetec. At about 30K miles I turbo'd it, 8psi, air to water intercooler, larger injectors, and some chip tuning to make it all work. Made about 175 at the wheels. Sold it to a friend at 66K, its now got over 130K, and countless honda "kills".

In a 914 you may loose a little handling with the higher CG over the 4cyl, but if it would fit the engine bay, could be a cool choice. 7k redline, and lots more TQ than a similar honda 2.0. Tq moves cars, and spins turbos sooner. Tq = fun. The car had an "aerocharger" variable vane turbo, (co. has since gone away...) and would push a solid 8psi from about 2800 to redline. 1st gear was gone in a flash, 2nd would put you in the seat and keep you there. 3rd would put you in jail. Every day I miss that car...
ThinAir
Of course with a 914 there's still the whole radiator/heater thing to work out. The reason this is turnkey for the Vanagon is because they are aiming at the water cooled Vanagon market where all that stuff is in place. I know people have put together successful radiator solutions, but I've yet to hear of a heater replacement.
JPB
Hey, if its cheap HPs then I'm in. Hps are not cheap and need to stay recent with technology for after market stuff. Thats why I like that 2.3L thunder bird turbo engine. I'd call the car the TP Special!:beer1:
Hammy
How is a Ford German? confused24.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jul 14 2007, 09:22 PM) *

How is a Ford German? confused24.gif

When it's designed by Germans and made in Germany by Ford of Germany it's a German Ford.

Most all the Lotus Seven replicas have moved away from the 2.0 and 2.3 Pinto engines and now use the Zetec. I have one in the garage. Beautiful heads, chamber's almost all valves. But recently builders are going more with the Ford Duratec engines, slightly larger, aluminum block, more power, and a bit stronger. You can get 200 HP from a well tuned normally aspirated Zetec with carbs or ITB's, a header, and a set of the Kent or Raceline "fast road" cams. But look at parts prices at Burton or Raceline (in Pounds, so times two for Dollars) and be afraid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.