Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel spacers.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I have long studs on my 914-6 front end because the PO ran BBS wheels on my 6 so I should not need to put longer studs on. When fitting the flares up front with a pair of Fuchs 8s the spacing is just right. I cannot find a set of 8s so I will move wheels around and put the 9” from my Carrera on the 914-6 back and 8” on the Carrera. This leaves me with 7s for the front.

I end up with Factory 7s with spacers and 9s on the 914-6

7s and 8s on my Carrera.

So What Porsche spacers to put up front to space out the 7” Fuchs. It would seem like 1” but that may not be right. And what type is the right one?

Bob

Eric_Shea
7mm, 27mm or 21mm spacers came on the front of 914-6/GT's depending.

901.352.413.00 = 7mm
901.352.413.01 = 27mm
901.352.413.02 and 911.331.611.00 = 21mm

The GT Spare Parts List states "as needed" and lists a 66mm long bolt or a 72mm long bolt (studs) to use with them:

911.331.671.00 = 66mm
901.331.671.01 = 72mm

A quick check in the garage on my GT clone with 7" wheels, 72mm studs and no spacers (as of yet) says you have close to 50mm (2") to spare. You be the judge. However... Increasing the scrub radius can affect overall steering response. wink.gif

If'n it was me, I'd leave the 7's and 8's on the 914 for the 914-6/GT look and keep the 7's and 9's on the Carrera
Johny Blackstain
Bob- I used 21mm spacers on the front of my six. Wheels are Fuchs, 15x7 front. Had to use the longer studs as my car came w/ no spacers up front & it looked like crap- flares w/ no wheel spacers barf.gif . Handles a little nicer now too.

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Pretty sure that will be my choice as well. Any pics Al?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 14 2007, 12:48 AM) *

Pretty sure that will be my choice as well. Any pics Al?

I posted it in my blog a couple weeks back. Hard to take pictures & do the work. Also still getting used to my responsibilities as a major pest here biggrin.gif . But there are before & after shots. I knew it when I bought it, but when Andy said "Nice! You need spacers up front." well, :embarrased:.

cool_shades.gif
burton73
My wheels are 16” Al, is the shot of you car on the track an old one with no spacers up front? Looked on your Blog. It says 3 old pictures to see how it was before? Must be the pictures With the chrome bumpers.

Bob
PeeGreen 914
A problem with putting spacers on the front is it will mess up the scrub while turning. adding spacers makes it have a front to rear pivot as well as the left to right. If it is just for the street everything is okay, but if you go to AX or track your car you will notice it. I suggest just finding 8's somewhere. I bought mine from Alex Magro in Florida, and I am looking to get another set soon.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 14 2007, 01:06 AM) *

My wheels are 16” Al, is the shot of you car on the track an old one with no spacers up front? Looked on your Blog. It says 3 old pictures to see how it was before? Must be the pictures With the chrome bumpers.

Bob

Yes. I've never done any racing other than the cheap whore we all go out & enjoy, go gart racing biggrin.gif . Quite frankly I'm a much better mechanic over driver. I'm always afraid I'm going to break something that took me 9hrs to put together. Still, right after that I went out & went a little fast happy11.gif .

Not too bad a job, have to take the hubs & rotors off, pound out the old studs & put in the longer ones. It's the old fashioned way & there are better, more modern spacers that bolt on. But I used all OEM cause it's proven, stock & I'm cloning her into a 916.

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 14 2007, 01:07 AM) *

A problem with putting spacers on the front is it will mess up the scrub while turning. adding spacers makes it have a front to rear pivot as well as the left to right. If it is just for the street everything is okay, but if you go to AX or track your car you will notice it. I suggest just finding 8's somewhere. I bought mine from Alex Magro in Florida, and I am looking to get another set soon.

That probably explains it. I did not build this car, but it's been built. It would cost so much to put all the parts it has on her today. I was astonished looking at her & got her for a lot less than she's worth because of the horrible paint & minor rust. It obviously was a AX car, & a very fast one. All she really needs is some rust repair up front in the trunk, a steel roof, a 914/4 steering column, a 915 (which is too expensive & my tranny is built so leave well enough alone) & it's a 916. Don't know if I'll ever box the arms but the chasis is gonna get the stiff kit when I weld on the roof. The car has everything else, except I still have to send her brakes to Eric. Got lucky. Of course when I'm done I'll be afraid to break her laugh.gif .

cool_shades.gif
burton73
Al,

Why do you need a 4 steering column? Did 916s have them? All the 916 that I have seen have the trim on the sail panel. It adds to the line and I think it looks nice there. I am putting it on my car not that I am going 916 just painted sail panels with bright horizontal trim.

Bob
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 14 2007, 01:43 AM) *

Al,

Why do you need a 4 steering column? Did 916s have them? All the 916 that I have seen have the trim on the sail panel. It adds to the line and I think it looks nice there. I am putting it on my car not that I am going 916 just painted sail panels with bright horizontal trim.

Bob

From what George has said I understood that all the 916s have a 914/4 steering column w/ the key in the stalk & not on the dash. I hate the sail panel line & am taking it & the vinyl off. Nothing wrong w/ it, just I've had the LE my whole life & like the "clean" look. Gustl has a 916 webpage w/ photos of all the birds & one, formerly silver & orange, now black & orange w/out the trim piece.

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.