Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Jack Do You Carry?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I used to place a partially elevated scissor jack in the hollow of the spare. Then I carried a small floor jack in the rear trunk. What are you doing now?

12V 2ton Jack

Or this overdone solution (requires a ratchet and socket)

1.5 inch scissor jack

And, where do you put it so it doesn't rattle around? Thanks!

Paul
DanT
went to the wrecking yard and got the slimmest scissor jack I could find....
store it in the spare tire hollow...
My spare is in the rear trunk because I have a large oil cooler in the front trunk.

Lots of folks try to find scissor jacks from 944 Turbos...they are light weight aluminum.
kenschipper
Look for a 944 jack. Very light weight, all aluminum. The full kit came with a small steel wheel chuck. Has a dimple that protrudes from the top, about 3/4" dia and 3/4" high. Fits in the donuts or suspension mounts at the front.
orthobiz
QUOTE(kenschipper @ Jul 14 2007, 09:14 PM) *

Look for a 944 jack. Very light weight, all aluminum. The full kit came with a small steel wheel chuck. Has a dimple that protrudes from the top, about 3/4" dia and 3/4" high. Fits in the donuts or suspension mounts at the front.

Sounds good, wonder if it's available NOS or just from the wrecker/eBay.

Paul
orthobiz
OK, I'm convinced. Bidding on eBay right now...

Thanks again everybody.

Paul
Pat Garvey
Ummm! I don't get it. What's wrong with the original (in my case, crank) jack? Afraid of the condition of the spurs & boxes? Redo them.

Mine works fine for changing a tire on the side of the road. But, if you hear a slight crunching sound when you jack, lower it quickly (because you WILL damage the rocker cover) - that means the spur and/or the reciver box need to be raplaced. It's nor major surgery.
Pat
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2007, 09:45 PM) *

Ummm! I don't get it.
Pat

I never thought you'd post on this topic! I just don't ever want to use the jack post, I don't even want to hear that the long is crunching OR see that the jack goes up but the car stays down (mine is rust free but I'm still not gonna check). Maybe think of it as "spare tire/spare jack."

You know, if I ever show the car, I could always take the jack out...............haven't canceled my eBay bid either.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 14 2007, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2007, 09:45 PM) *

Ummm! I don't get it.
Pat

I never thought you'd post on this topic! I just don't ever want to use the jack post, I don't even want to hear that the long is crunching OR see that the jack goes up but the car stays down (mine is rust free but I'm still not gonna check). Maybe think of it as "spare tire/spare jack."

You know, if I ever show the car, I could always take the jack out...............haven't canceled my eBay bid either.

Paul

Biz,

Just because it crunches, doesn't mean the long is shot. Happens frequently, but usually means the jack reciever is bad (an approx. 4x4 parts mounted to the long). It's an easy fix, IF you need it. Really, no big deal.

I never use the jack spurs as a method for lifting m7 914 in the air, because I don't have a lot of trust in the jack. But, on the road...yeah, for changing a tire. I'd NEVER crawl under the car unless the car was on stands.
Pat

ps - Big Brother is always watching! heh, heh, heh!
JPB
Shoot, I have a 50 year old jack. Thats Jack from AAA! beer.gif
Demick
I have a hydraulic sissor jack that works very well. Has the advantages of a sissor jack and a hydraulic jack in one. It also has 2 holes in the piston that accept a pin so that it has jackstand like capabilities if absolutely needed. It's a lot like the electric one in the first post, but without the electric assist. Found it at Wal-mart. $30 or so.
orthobiz
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 14 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Shoot, I have a 50 year old jack. Thats Jack from AAA! beer.gif

Hey, I'm 51! I resemble that!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.