Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stephen914
Hello everyone,
I've been a lurker for a while but never posted. I have a 1972 914 1.7 which I was thinking about selling but I don't really want to.

Lately I've been thinking about doing a V8 conversion. I do need to replace the longs welder.gif but the rest of the car seems okay. I know I would need to upgrade the brakes and suspension but they are pretty whipped and need to be gone over anyway.

Here are some photos of the car:
http://www.9000turbo.com/914/914.htm

I am aware of Rod Simpson and Renegade. I have been reading all the posts I can find. This will have to be a long term project as I am restoring a 1985 Saab SPG right now.

What would I be able to sell for oringal part sto help off-set. I have the motor which runs well but need pushrod tube seals. I have a petronix ignitor. It has the original FI. The 2.0L wheels. I have SS heat exchangers.

Let me know what you think. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Stephen
Mueller
Welcome.......

first thing to do is to insure that the car is as structually sound as much as possible....fix everything on the chassis now

not sure what the market is back East for motors, but I sold my last running smog 2.0 for $1000.00 (I fixed the leaking push rod tubes first)
the 1.7s tend to sell for a tad bit less, but a running motor is always worth more than a junker.....

2.0 wheels go from 400 on up depending on condition and location

Hope you have a good driving record, 914s are a blast bone stock, with the extra power of a V8, they become downright scary-fun to drive MDB2.gif
rick 918-S
Welcome, Stop in often. Read all the posts. (well not mine, it takes too long) search the classifieds for pricing suggestions. Fix the rust first. Doesn't look too bad. Post progress pictures as you go. And please no saab stories! lol2.gif Hey I couldn't resist lol2.gif laugh.gif lol3.gif Oh and remember you could always have a Porsche V8...
GWN7
Hello and welcome,

Buyers for used 1.7s fall into two catagories. Guys that buy them for future projects (always good to have a spare engine lying around) and guys that have just smoked there current one.

It depends on how many miles are on the engine as to what you will get for it, but usually a 1.7 will only bring between $200 to $400. You could sell the heat exchangers seperate.
Stephen914
first thing to do is to insure that the car is as structually sound as much as possible...

I assume you mean fixing the longs and I was also thinkng about the frame stiffing kit from Restoration Designs? What else should I be looking for?

Should I make these repairs with the engine in or out? What's the best way to support the vehicle?

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Stephen
Aaron Cox
i wanna do a cadillac v16 swap myself. wink.gif
kafermeister
So that's where it went. :-)

Welcome to the board Stephen. I'm glad you found the place. That looks like James Montgomery's old car from Cincy.

James old (?) home page here.

Like Mike said. Fix everything on the chassis now. You won't regret it. Once it is solid you can make a decision as to what to do about more power.

Welcome to the board.

Rick
Stephen914
That is the very same. I have come to realize I paid to much but what did I know. Basically all I've done is take it apart more. Then is sat and I went on to other projects. My wife wants me to sell it and I guess I have casually listed it but not really. MY biggest problem is garage space. I have a 5 cars and there is only two of us. Maybe if I keep posting I will stay motivated.
rick 918-S
Waht else do you have? Sell all the other stuff and fix the teener. aktion035.gif driving.gif
kafermeister
QUOTE(Stephen914 @ Dec 15 2003, 10:10 PM)
MY biggest problem is garage space. I have a 5 cars and there is only two of us.

Uh, I fit into that category. My garage has 2 Beetles, 2 914s and a Karmann Ghia Convertible. The Beetles are the only thing in there that are close to driveable.

It looks like Jame's old car went to a worthy home. I never found out how much he sold it for (and I'm not askin) as it was gone before I found out it was for sale.

...so, what else is in that there garage of yours? smile.gif

Rick
Joe Bob
You can always buy a west coat roller that is in better shape rust wise and use the other as a prts car. I find them now and then..... wavey.gif
Stephen914
You can always buy a west coat roller that is in better shape rust wise and use the other as a prts car. I find them now and then.....

Ah but unfortunately I am East coast.

...so, what else is in that there garage of yours?

All the rest are Saabs. I have a slightly modified Saab 900 Turbo. It dynoed this past fall with 224 WHP and 283 Ft, lbs. of torque at the wheels.
http://www.nysoc.com/gallery/album28

My wife's 9-5 turbo.

My $300 Saab SPG.
http://www.nysoc.com/gallery/album26

My 90 Saab 900S beater daily driver.

And of course the 914.
kafermeister
Nice. I really like the 9000 Turbo...but then again, what's not to like.

Mike somewhat routinely sends west coast cars eastward. That's the route I went. (See my avatar). It was cheaper and easier to repair a small amount of rust on a nicer car than to fix up what's available in my area. Average cost for shipping alone is about or just under $1000. That may be something to consider.

Rick
fiid
QUOTE(acox914 @ Dec 15 2003, 04:43 PM)
i wanna do a cadillac v16 swap myself. wink.gif

It will have to be remote control - there will be no room for seating! Unless you stretch it.....
Stephen914
Nice. I really like the 9000 Turbo...but then again, what's not to like.

Thanks. It's pretty cool. It's fun to blow away newer cars and WRXs, etc, with a 5dr sedan that's fully loaded.

So I guess in the sprintime I will start working on the longs. and seeing what I am going to have to replace. I should be able to do most of this myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.