Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where did you buy your Chrome Lugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
I am tired of how shabby my wheels look! But since I am a 914 owner, I cant bring myself to pay 12 bucks each!
ohmy.gif

So confused24.gif where should I go or who should I call? I need all 16.
Thanks
dtd
G e o r g e
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 15 2007, 05:23 PM) *

I am tired of how shabby my wheels look! But since I am a 914 owner, I cant bring myself to pay 12 bucks each!
ohmy.gif

So confused24.gif where should I go or who should I call? I need all 16.
Thanks
dtd

Dino do you already have the correct lugs? if so send them to al reed have him refinish ( chrome ) them willis.gif
dinomium
that would be a good idea, but then I can't drive while the car is without lugs
huh.gif

I have a set of steel wheels, but no lugs for them!
GWN7
Options are limited as far as I can tell....either big $ for the right ones or go cheap and buy the ones off ebay that don't fit sad.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 15 2007, 11:55 PM) *

Options are limited as far as I can tell....either big $ for the right ones or go cheap and buy the ones off ebay that don't fit sad.gif

yeah, I got a set of the ebay specials a while ago lame! But really, $265 for a set of chromed steel bolts? That is just crazy!
chris914
I got a set from EvilBay 3 years agao for $6.25 each. They were the crrect ones.

Does anyone know of a source for a soft socket for them?
BarberDave

Chris:

Been there ,done that! All of the aftermarket lugs i have had ( 3 sets ) From E-Bay were 17 mm ,stock is 19mm,There are soft sockets all over for the stock 19mm. I got mine from Tweeks, i don't belive there is a 17mm soft socket
on plante earth. BTW i got a set of Chrome lugs from a guy,s add in 9 magazine
, Great Product, Extra nice chrome,correct size,had special washers to protect alloy rims, correct radius to fit rims, YES very EXPENSIVE, but less cost than the three cheep sets I bought ( those I replaced ALL 3 in less than a yr. due to poor chrome, rust) Bite the bullet and get the good set,you will not be sorry.
Dave slap.gif
anderssj
One (cheap) option could be caps/covers for the lug bolts . . .

Volvo just came out with a set of twenty 19mm "chrome" plastic lug bolt caps--seems they got tired of replacing under warranty all those bolts that were shedding their plating. The caps are supposed to slip on over the original bolt, and the set comes with a tool to remove the cap prior to using the lug wrench. Can't remember the cost right off-hand, but I think it was under $20 for 20 caps.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while . . . may have to go to lunch at the Volvo dealer and check them out.

I'll post a part number later today.

Best,

Steve A-
rhodyguy
dino, go to the vw parts store and just buy the plastic caps or rattle can the stockers. buy 2 sets of the caps while you're shopping. they get all galled up digging them off with a screw driver when you have a flat. the cheap chrome on the am units will get scratched and chipped and look like shit as they start to rust. why waste money on inferior units? did you kill those g.d. weeds? tell you what, i'll buy you a set of the cheap ones in trade for your correct, stock, long style lug bolts with good threads.

k
dinomium
why must you shame me publicly? I KEEELED DE WEED! Need more kiljuice now!
biggrin.gif
If I go that route, I would send them out to Al...
Allan
Maybe Here?
rhodyguy
wow. is that per item pricing? there goes a quick $100+.

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 16 2007, 10:04 AM) *

wow. is that per item pricing? there goes a quick $100+.

k

That is less than ole Dr 914! I am going to call down to Larson Porsche for giggles!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Headrage: Yep that,s the guy, i seem to remember I paid 350.00 for 20 or $12.00 each, allready had the soft socket. Guy,s please don,t let the price scare
you off, as my sainted Grandmother said " You gets what you pay for".
Dave slap.gif
dinomium
Larson Porsche wants 21 each! And the added joy of waiting for them!
Gint
I'd just paint the lug bolt heads whatever color might make your wheels look particularly attractive and then you can fix 'em up whenever you need to.
markb
I picked up a set of plastic chrome caps for my Mahles at a Porsche car show (I think it was from strasseusa.com, call & talk to Gabe). I've had no problems for 2 years, no chipping, peeling, etc. I've taken them off multiple times to change tires or brake pads, etc, and they still look great. Snap right over the lug bolts, and come with a removal tool.
rhodyguy
$336+tax+gas to fetch them (roughly 90mi rt)+ the new bridge toll for lug bolts. blink.gif. you make way too much money at the new job pal! chairfall.gif

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 18 2007, 08:59 AM) *

$336+tax+gas to fetch them (roughly 90mi rt)+ the new bridge toll for lug bolts. blink.gif. you make way too much money at the new job pal! chairfall.gif

k

First of all, too much $$ is NEVER enuff! and second, I would rather give your 336 bux for a set than Porsche!
Not that EITHER of you are getting another DIME not one red cent you hear me?

That was a joke, stand down...
happy11.gif

rhodyguy
it's all good. it's just the thought of $350 for stupid lugs cracked me up. if i can figure out how to oem refinish the 3 sets i have, i'm golden. we should talk. i feel we're long over due for pancakes.

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 18 2007, 02:16 PM) *

it's all good. it's just the thought of $350 for stupid lugs cracked me up. if i can figure out how to oem refinish the 3 sets i have, i'm golden. we should talk. i feel we're long over due for pancakes.

k

Long overdue on the griddle cakes, my friend! One post mentioned a guy that does replating...
anderssj
Sorry for the delay . . . .

I borrowed these courtesy of my friendly local Volvo parts man. They are plastic (probably plated with "jenuwyne krome")--I guess they're similar to what markb mentioned in an earlier post.

They look pretty good, but will take some messing with to make them fit perfectly. The lower picture shows the little wedges inside the cap that make it fit tighter as it is pressed on. These wedges are a little too thick for the 914 lug, and they keep the cap from completely seating (about 3/16" away, as shown in upper picture). Also, not sure how the caps will hold up over the long term (flaking. cracking, etc.).

As you can see, my lug bolts look pretty crappy--I may just spring for these and see what happens . . . worst comes to worst, I can unload them on evilbay biggrin.gif

Volvo PN is 9139853, cost is around $20 for 20 caps. Not sure who makes them for Volvo (made in Taiwan), but picture on back of package shows them in black too.

As grandpa used to say, "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice . . . ."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.