Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmision /transaxle question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I noticed when I stopped my car after driving for a while a rather large cloud of smoke billowing out. After looking my engine over & not spotting the problem. I noticed above my transaxles where they mount to the tranny a good solid line of oil/grease. I remember when I put my engine in the car that I was missing the gaskets that went between the transaxle & the tranny. I wanted to take it for a drive so I thought I'll get them later. Well I haven't driven much luckily. I forgot about it so the smoke was a good thing. My question is which gasket do I get? Is this one from pelican the right one? http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...amp;itemquant=1 Would a local shop carry it? Thanks -Jamie
MrKona
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 15 2007, 10:56 PM) *

I noticed when I stopped my car after driving for a while a rather large cloud of smoke billowing out. After looking my engine over & not spotting the problem. I noticed above my transaxles where they mount to the tranny a good solid line of oil/grease. I remember when I put my engine in the car that I was missing the gaskets that went between the transaxle & the tranny. I wanted to take it for a drive so I thought I'll get them later. Well I haven't driven much luckily. I forgot about it so the smoke was a good thing. My question is which gasket do I get? Is this one from pelican the right one? http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...amp;itemquant=1 Would a local shop carry it? Thanks -Jamie

Hey Jamie,

I'm not quite sure what you're describing, so I'll include a picture. The seal you linked to inserts into each side of the tranny, at the output flanges. I tried marking the approximate location with a red arrow in this picture.

- Bryan
davep
Bryan is correct. Those seals are in the transmission, and you cannot run without them since they would spew copious amounts of gear oil.

The CV joint gasket is here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._SUSaxl_pg1.htm

CV joint grease will be thrown out if they are missing, that is not a good thing either. Without grease the CV joint will go bad quickly; you know they are no longer available? There are substitutes now, but don't destroy a joint through neglect! The gasket is not a VW part. CV joint grease would not likely cause the smoke you see. Keep looking.
JRust
The CV joint Gasket is the one. I drove it about 120 miles without it. The grease would come out flip up & then drip down on my heat exchangers. I'm sure it did it some while driving but was really noticable when I stopped. I'll get these in & see if it still smokes after. Hopefully it will fix the problem. I'll get it taken care of either way. Thanks for the help finding the right part. I wasn't looking at the right section.
Cap'n Krusty
What you refer to as a "transaxle" is actually called an "axle" or "drive shaft". The "transmission" is more properly called a "transaxle", but we commonly refer to it as a "transmission" or "tranny". Just so you know ...........
The Cap'n
JRust
Point taken Capn. I get a little mixed up sometimes. Not having much real mechanical experience probably doesn't help. I am learning a little at a time though. As always thanks for the help
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 16 2007, 02:43 PM) *

Point taken Capn. I get a little mixed up sometimes. Not having much real mechanical experience probably doesn't help. I am learning a little at a time though. As always thanks for the help

Always good to be learning. People who don't tend to send me into deep Krustiness ............... That's where I get rude. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.