Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Pad Recomendations for HPDE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundboy914
My 2.0l has the BMW front brakes. I have 205/50/15's on the car, and mainly drive the car at DE events (and some street driving). I have super blue fluid, which holds up just fine, but i seem to burn through pads rather quickly. I use Oagid Orange on the fronts, and they only last 3 track days or so. Is this 'normal' wear? Will Porterfields or Hawks last longer?
Just trying to cut back on the 4170 bill every three track days.

Matt
Joe Ricard
Nope.
consider 3 events pretty good. I went through 1/2 of a set of pagids in one day. over 60 full tilt boogy laps on a 1.8 mile 14 turn course.

I got better life out of my current set of Porterfield R4 pads But I am braking less and going faster. now tires on the other hand..............
roundboy914
What do you have to say about tires?
Any recomendations?
I am running V700's Kuhmos - and they last a loooooonnnnnnnggggg time.
But i have flatspotted them, and they are getting pretty greasy, so i am also looking to buy a new set of track tires - so any tips would be great.
fyi - i had about 60-70 laps at Blackhawk which is a 1.8 mile, 7 turn course, that is notoriously tough on brakes, and i went through about a half set.
crash914
Hawk HP plus will fade after extended use...

I would go with the Porterfield R4. Did great on my stock calipers.

I would use them again now that they have the BMW pad...
Joe Ricard
For lapping days I buy "take offs" near full tread cantilevered Good years in a R600 tread lasted a long time A few hundred miles of track work.
For Autocross is is pretty tough to beat the Hoosier A6.
John
My thoughts are to get some more experience. My opinion is that you use the brakes too much. Carry more speed through the turns. One way to force yourself to do that is to carry the next higher gear.

When I was new at track events (20 years ago), I too went through pads at an incredible rate with a low horsepower car (914/4 2.0 with carbs). Now with nearly twice the horsepower and much more experience, we can go many events (about 7 events) on a set of pads (2 drivers of the same experience level). That would equate to about 42 track days or 168 30 minute runs. Of course we now run 930 front and 911 SC rear brakes (calipers and rotors)

YMMV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.