Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - I must be getting old. Scared by a car....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
As some saw in person at Fergs on Saturday, my kid brother just picked up an old body style Audi S-4 (the 100/200 body style). He has owned one for a few years with plans to hot rod it, but this car came along, being already built up by the previous owner. He sold his stock car for the same amount as this hot rodded car. On Saturday he drove it to Fergs. I was shocked at how fast it was - it felt like a groupe B car with leather interior - it pushed you into the seat hard. Well, I just got back from the shop who built it. They did a pre-purchase for him and then dialed the thing in further through some software upgrades. We just took it down the frontage road and I was shocked two-fold; once due to the rediculous acceleration and once for the fact that the car was made to run that much stronger by the use of a laptop. The goal was 565 - 580 hp at the crank, 450 - 475 at the wheels - on a quattro. Every system in this car has been made over - 993 turbo brakes, rediculous suspension, Audi V8 fully lockable quattro drivetrain, huge intercooler, custom exhaust/turbo manifold, etc etc etc - and it is a street car - never been on the track, probably never will. That being the case - what do you do with such a beast? When the boost hits, it is like riding in an airplane on takeoff.

My brother is a great guy, very conservative. Has a wife and a 2 year old. He has always loved audi stuff (including 944, 928 stuff). This is his dream car. I am just having an issue with this much power on the street. It's 0-100 times are in the low sixes.

Part of me feels like a wuss - it is a kick ass car. headbang.gif
- but part of me is very concerned.

Here is the motor:
Ferg
I enjoyed my ride for sure! driving.gif

Also is should be noted that the brakes work well blink.gif

Ferg
914nerd
How much $$$?
BahnBrenner914
At least he's got the brakes to stop all those ponies. I see too many dumbasses that dont realize that accelerating is a WANT and stopping is a NEED. chair.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 16 2007, 02:32 PM) *

I enjoyed my ride for sure! driving.gif

Also is should be noted that the brakes work well blink.gif

Ferg

Too bad that minivan ruined it for us on the way out and the family with the stroller shut us down on the way back! Part of me finds that pretty funny - the other part of me looks at that as the exact issue with this car!!!

We'll have to go out again now that it has been dialed in. As an fyi, it is running 24lbs of boost. The guy who built it said it would hold together just fine up to 36 lbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 16 2007, 02:24 PM) *

I must be getting old. Scared by a car

there's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of fear.
fearless people tend to die young ...

it's been a couple of weeks now, but i still have the itch to drive my car on the limit.
i have to restrain myself to do that on the street (works most of the time).

maybe you should hook up your brother with some track days ...
idea.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
Welcome to the REAL world that the Cap'n lives in ................ Audis RULE. They can be purchased for what many consider low bucks, and the mod stuff is all over the place. Even pretty heavily modded Ur S4/S6s get you where you want to go in style and comfort, and they can be relatively reliable. Think of it as a cheaper, faster, better looking, better handling,more comfortable AMG MB. BTW, there's VERY little Audi in a 944, and none whatsoever in a 928. The Cap'n
JPB
Sounds like a great time and a sweet ride. Now lets talk about putting that in a teener and then we can talk about sucking up some cotton! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.