Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i may be a CSOB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
all old light bulbs since they can be bought at your local flaps and old bulbs seem to go bad for several reasons.

while i was replacing two bulbs - i had a third go intermmitant - it seems the base was coming loose from the glass.

i am gonna replace them all.

YMMV

jim

* what is the best thing for cleaning out corrosion on the socket contacts ??

SLITS
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 16 2007, 05:05 PM) *

A round wire brush.
jimkelly
wire brush - smoke.gif - thanks - jim

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2007, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 16 2007, 05:05 PM) *

A round wire brush.

SLITS
Pelican used to sell an electrical cleaning kit with exactly that!

Rattle can chemicals will not remove all the corrosion.
type47
you can get a round wire brush at the hardware store that is used to clean copper pipe before you solder it together. there is a tool that has a round shape and on the other end, it cleans the outside of a pipe.
geniusanthony
use some dielectric grease also from flaps or hardware store in your bulb sockets. It will both prevent future corrosion and stop any intermitent(sp) failure, we hope
Kargeek
Use a combination battery post and clamp brush. Electrical contact cleaner...
brer
my electric bill is down 25% since I installed compact flourescents
Dr Evil
Gun shop or Wal-Mart will have a barrel cleaning brush that should do the job as well. I upgraded to all LED and havent been happier.
Spoke
I clean corrosion off of sockets with a small screwdriver or razorblade knife if it fits. just scrape the oxidation or rust off and spray with electrical contact cleaner to clean the terminals and wash out any debris.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 18 2007, 01:56 AM) *

I upgraded to all LED and havent been happier.

White LED's in the original holes? I have to admit, my dash lights are TIRED. Is there an LED bulb that fits in the original socket or is it like a string of Christmas lights? Pardon my ignorance...

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I got mine from " L E D TECH" i believe thru a poster here. Installing them

along with all rebuilt Gauges next week. I hope!!!!!

Dave slap.gif
Dr Evil
They are not hard to find at all. I got mine from www.superbrightleds.com

You want the BA7s bulbs. Their web site is a pain to navigate (not very intuitive) so here is the link. $.89 ea and have the preferred wide angle lens:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...cgi?product=755
type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 16 2007, 04:05 PM) *

i am gonna replace them all.

wait a minute, if you are changing bulbs that are still good, you are not a CSOB.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 18 2007, 07:51 AM) *

They are not hard to find at all. I got mine from www.superbrightleds.com

You want the BA7s bulbs. Their web site is a pain to navigate (not very intuitive) so here is the link. $.89 ea and have the preferred wide angle lens:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...cgi?product=755

Hey Doc when useing the LED's don't you lose the ability to use the dimmer? If so have you found that to be a issue? I know the 911 guys generally find the LED's a poor replacement because of the straight beam vs. a wider beam from the conventional bulb, do you find that to be true with the 914 gauges? Just trying to get educated biggrin.gif Thanks beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.