Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many auto projects ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
So in addition to working 50 hrs a week I am completely overwhelmed with "personal side projects" I know I've done it to myself and I do have an addiction. Can ANYONE here make me feel better about my situation??

Currently in the werks:

dads 914
my 944 turbo
sandrail to sell
BMW R65 cafe racer conversion

Wating in the wings:

85 CJ-7 to be "restored" (360,t400,dana 300 twin stick + 4" lift + 35x12.50)
85 Cevy 3/4 Suburban tow rig (planning on a Hummer body conversion)
Dads 89 Grand Wagoneer ( just needs a nice re-paint
Dads 74 Jeep J-10 P.U. ( needs ALOT )
My 83 Robalo (22' boat) ( needs transom and keel werk)
73 Superbeetle ( light restoration to be sold)
PUMA (stripped and repainted to sell)
51 Lincoln Cosmopolitan (havn't decided yet sad.gif )
MY 914 #1 Restored looking with MASSIVE 4
MY 914 # 2 steel flared custom interior 3.0 or 3.2 - 6
Dune buggy full custom show car
72 Baja ( former and my first show car to be re-done)
57 deluxe beetle ( anal restoration complete with Judson supercharger biggrin.gif )
74 Thing Acapulco ( yes a real Acapulco) ( another ANAL restoration)

So PLEEEEEEZE someone make me feel better about all of my shit sad.gif

Oh and right now I have an AMC 360 to rebuild, a 944 turbo engine that MAY or may not get rebuilt before installation, and a 3.0 SC that needs a rebuild all sitting in the garage taking up valuable werk space headbang.gif headbang.gif
jimkelly
nope biggrin.gif

but we have complete faith in your abilities - if that makes you feel any better beerchug.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 16 2007, 05:00 PM) *

nope biggrin.gif

but we have complete faith in your abilities - if that makes you feel any better beerchug.gif

dry.gif not really but thanks anyway slap.gif I envy you sooo much. What I would give to have only 2 cars sometimes......
JPB
I don't know what to say to make you feel good but you certainly have a good bunch of toys and that might make you like the toy king of this site. Now all ya need is a beer serving tool wench with big knockers and you'd be in heaven. beer.gif

okieflyr
After seeing your list, it put's a new perspective on mine.
After my 50+ week it is "tweeking" time for the racing and running 914 (not on jack stands). And I'm trying to get my 320Is ready to sell soon.
The wife is feeling the empty nest coming, so she is another kind of project.
And then there is home improvement projects. (not repairs).

By the way, your neighbors must love you.......

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 16 2007, 07:55 PM) *

So in addition to working 50 hrs a week I am completely overwhelmed with "personal side projects" I know I've done it to myself and I do have an addiction. Can ANYONE here make me feel better about my situation??

Currently in the werks:

dads 914
my 944
sandrail to sell

Wating in the wings:

57 deluxe beetle ( anal restoration complete with Judson supercharger biggrin.gif )

Oh and right now I have an AMC 360 to rebuild, a 944 turbo engine that MAY or may not get rebuilt before installation, and a 3.0 SC that needs a rebuild all sitting in the garage taking up valuable werk space headbang.gif headbang.gif

GWN7
Sorry...you have me beat and I have a looooooooooong list smile.gif
JPB
Fixing them up is way over rated bro. Tearing them up is way under rated and sometimes priceless. beer.gif
scotty b
Neighbors...what neighbors? smile.gif I live a ways out towards the country so the neighbors (for now ) are fairkly sparse. That is slowly changing though. Oh and in addition to all that I somehoe need to clean up 8 acres of property that the timber harvesters left barf.gif Rough grade all of it to replant and smooth 2 acres to build a new house on. AFTER I manage to pay off my current debt. sometime I feel like giving up confused24.gif I hear Key West is nice idea.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 16 2007, 05:11 PM) *

Sorry...you have me beat and I have a looooooooooong list smile.gif

DO TELL !!
Eddie914
What?

Looks like you have it easy ...

No house projects?
No yard projects?
Have not been named guardian or personal representative by any of your loving relatives?
No projects for your kids?
No back taxes?

Good Luck!

Eddie
scotty b
CRAP I just rememberd 3 more

59 356 Roadster (werst one of all. Body is in 3 seperate pieces)
62 356 Coupe ( radical custom to piss off the 356 analiers )
I MAY have a 72 911 I will put 930 flares on with a ducktail and Carrera markings ( 2.7 with carbs sitting on the shelf if I get that car)
scotty b
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Jul 16 2007, 05:16 PM) *

What?

No house projects?
No yard projects?
Have not been named guardian or personal representative by any of your loving relatives?
No back taxes?

Good Luck!

Eddie

house and yard projects....you must have missed my last post. 8 acres to clear and buiild on.
degreeoff
Hell man I wish I could help...but its all I can do to make time for my 1 lil pepe'....
nomore9one4
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 16 2007, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Jul 16 2007, 05:16 PM) *

What?

No house projects?
No yard projects?
No back taxes?

Good Luck!

Eddie

house and yard projects....you must have missed my last post. 8 acres to clear and buiild on.

My 2 cents..... Sell off several of them and pay someone to finish the rest huh.gif
Eddie914
Scotty,

Yes, I missed your post. I was typing.

I'm a slow typist.

I was typing while you were posting.

You must be faster at wrenching than me also. I only have seven motor vehicles (averaging 23 years old and 165,000 miles) and I can barely keep up. At least they are all running right now.

Good Luck,

Eddie
scotty b
My 2 cents..... Sell off several of them and pay someone to finish the rest huh.gif
[/quote]

I restore cars for a living so osmeone else finishing my cars is out of the question. That's like having someone else finish you off......know whut I mean? That's My territory byatch!! sheeplove.gif

That's probably my biggest problem come across this stuff all the time due to my business, I get it CHEAP, I CAN fix any of it so I think I can fix ALL of it. Any ONE of the projects I could easily do in a year ( except for the roadster and possibly the Lincoln ) but I find myself getting involved in 3 or more at a time. Maybe I need Ridalin............yeah definitly ADD.... definitly ADD.
watsonrx13
Scotty, you've got me beat by a long shot.... I also work 50 hrs a week, then tweek on the cars afterwards. I'm trying to get to the point where I can also refurbish these cars and turn them around quicker. It's a lot easier to buy these 'repairable' cars and store them, then to finish them. My plan is to finish the current project and put it on the market. While I'm waiting for that one to sell, I have another one I'm at 60% complete. I have (2) more I own and I have my eye on (2) more. I'm trying very hard to keep the number of cars I own, that need fixing, i.e., not drivable, to (3).

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...

-- Rob
Johny Blackstain
No where near as many as you Scotty, but still too many. Someday I'd really like to finish my 75 Scirocco, a project I started 20 yrs ago & never finished slap.gif .
charliew
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 17 2007, 08:31 AM) *

No where near as many as you Scotty, but still too many. Someday I'd really like to finish my 75 Scirocco, a project I started 20 yrs ago & never finished slap.gif .

OK ,I couln't stand it maybe if I list this stuff someone would volunteer to help. I think it has something to do with the old saying about a fool and his money in my case. I'm a little hard headed about my abilities. The're not listed in prefered order exactly.

Daytona Ferrari Spyder kit not on it's 72 corvette chassis, on the side is a 96 LTI complete motor and tranny with 3 miles on it. Never started working on it. Taking up space in the shed.

Porsche Speedster on a shortened IRS pan everything but the windshield. Under the back awning to my shop

96 1 Ton crew cab truck flood damage. Rebuilt motor with gapless rings and mild high torque cam. 22k miles, never could get a complete wiring harness when I was trying to get it running (bought it in 97) in the back yard. Lots of new parts.

79 corvette in the shop needs the new front end glued on. new tires, steering,exhaust, brakes, carpet it was running the last time I fooled with it. I guess it's an expensive shelf. Needs a paint job.

3 or 4 International Scout II's
1 Super Scout

72 International pickup with about 75k miles auto with air, worn out front end
72 International Travelall 4wd wrecked in front for to make 4wd pickup

75 Blazer to make hunting wagon, pretty good shape
79 Blazer rusted pretty bad, north car, 400 sb runs but I stole the rear axle for my regular ride and tow vehicle.

88 GT Fiero 3.4 chev. headers and all 5 spd. built when my son was 16, now it's mine. It could use a paint job
86 GT Fiero about 80k completely stock drivetrain with a chip, auto, air, completely dissasembled and repainted Porsche Guards Red with the little air scoups in the bottom of the rear quarters, My gas saver
86 SE Fiero in my shop, needs the front plastic parts put back on, less than 70k miles
86 SE Fiero parts car, has never been wrecked but I've put the back end on my dune buggy to cover the subie wrx going in it. Wing and all just a little narrower

58 VW sedan made into a pickup in 68. It has a low mileage 1500 with a hydralic Isky cam and air conditioning and 69 mustang Mach 1 wheels from a new mustang that got on the shiney side when I was young.

72 Super Beetle complete but apart low mileage. Many new parts

63 Jeep J10 Gladiator, 350 sbc, 400 auto, 205 new process transfer, air, electric seats, windows, 396 chevelle radiator with two electric fans, holley projection, all SW guages, 4:09 axles, been setting awhile drove it for 20 yrs.

79 J200 on the deer lease sand blasted everything. por 15 and camo urethane paint.

79 Jeep Cherokee setting under the back awning of the shop waiting to become nother hunting truck

66 800 Scout completely original low mileage, granny 4 spd, 373 axles, brand new upolstered seats, no rust, completely disassembled for paint in my shop for awhile taking up space.

78 Cobra Fiberfab manx style dunebuggy in the middle of rebuild with subie wrx resting from interruptions of remodeling and other honeydos.

My newest baby----75 914, 1.8, colorado and wyoming car, 80k, haven't checked the hell hole but it was done in 91 ($1024.00) along with a complete redo of the motor and tranny ($2034.00) that only had 50k on it then. The previous owners kept the reciepts even for the tires. It was shown in events till about 91. It's gonna get flares, stiffeners, subie wrx with a subie tranny, air conditioning, 911 suspension stuff. Right now all I've got for wheels are 15 x 7 and 8 Fuchs replicas or 02 Porsche chrome turbo 18 x 8 and 11s which are a little much I guess. These are really parts for the other projects any way.

Many other VW's some aren't mine, squarebacks, fastbacks, etc.

OH yeah, my daily driver, a 86 K5 Silverado, 2 inch lift, 350 RamJet, 700r4, everything still works probably needs a third paint job which will be the first by me.
Goes pretty good for a truck.

I think thats all, Maybe I'll get some of them completed. I've got a 26 year old with a hot rod STI that helps and also loves it. Oh yeah I'm 62, think I got enough time?

Charlie
jaminM3
I went and looked at a 914 on ebay that is here in SLC. The guy lives right on main street and he is the only house within miles. He took me back to look at the signal orange '74 2.0. To get back there we had to pass all of his projects, completed, in-process, and not even begun. He had 3 or 4 Harley Davidsons, a '55 Chevy Nomad, a '30 Ford Coupe, a couple Model As, a 67 chevelle convertible, a jaguar XJS V12, an old Oakland?, an old army bus, a willy's delivery wagon, a miata and I don't even know what else. That's just what I remember. The guy is a retired welder that has lived there for 30 years and has owned the 914 for 20 years. He has an acre of land and his own paint booth and shop. I can only dream pray.gif
por73914
I have my 74 2.0 914 that I am woking on, restoring a boat and building a 73 Charger...Way more than I need, screwy.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 16 2007, 05:55 PM) *

So in addition to working 50 hrs a week I am completely overwhelmed with "personal side projects" I know I've done it to myself and I do have an addiction. Can ANYONE here make me feel better about my situation??...

Learn how to say "No".

You brought it upon yourself, really. But if it's what you like doing then don't bitch slap.gif
scotty b
[quote name='Air_Cooled_Nut' date='Aug 14 2007, 05:35 PM' post='935032']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 16 2007, 05:55 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
So in addition to working 50 hrs a week I am completely overwhelmed with "personal side projects" I know I've done it to myself and I do have an addiction. Can ANYONE here make me feel better about my situation??...
[/quote]
Learn how to say "No".

You brought it upon yourself, really. But if it's what you like doing then don't bitch slap.gif
[/quote]

dry.gif Sorry to bother you dad dry.gif
Dr Evil
No wonder your single. rolleyes.gif And I thought it was because you were ugly biggrin.gif

JK

74 BMW R90 (only needs 1 days work)
68 Honda Dream (another day...maybe more)
93 Toyota 4Runner from satan (another day of work)
73 914/6 conversion (who knows how long....it starts)
75 MBZ 240D (just caved and sent it to a shop rolleyes.gif )

Oh......and fricken med school (no damn time) dry.gif
Spoke
71 914: Change engine, change clutch, passenger long rust repair.

74 914: Finish rear fender flare, rust on front fender, install rear sway bar, paint vehicle, paint targa top, refurbish rear valence

96 Subaru Legacy: Just did front brake pads, new head gaskets (I'm not touching that one)

98 A4, new front upper rear control links, driver side tie rod, both rear swaybar drop links, rear brake pads

97 A4, still need passenger front drive shaft (bad CV boot), leaking rear transmission seal

07 Volvo S60, NOTHING!!!! Its new, just needs washed, yeah
Mr.C
There is only one of me and too many projects on my plate. I decided that I needed to cut the anchor around my neck and get rid of most everything. Once I decided to do that and act on it, I feel WAY better!
So for now no more new projects and I will not start another until the current one at hand is complete. That goes for household as well as automotive.

I'm for lightening the load if you can.
Luke
Scotty,
I too have the same affliction ... I hear it from my buddy all the time ... and their probably right !.... '64 Mid Century house, Wife, Kids and my own business ... And my junk ... Ha ....

Restored -
68' Electra Glide .. ( still need love to keep on the road )

Un-restored Drivers - ( Needs tinkering here and there )
58' GMC Napco Suburban
Honda CT-70

In progress -
74' 914 - Subie
56' GMC crew cab Napco - running
69 Dodge Powerwagon crew - running
55' Victress - vintage racer

On hold -
55' Chevy 210 - running
64' GTO
75' 914 - parts car ?
67' Triumph 650 tr6
46' Triumph 350 3T
Honda Dream (2)
Greeves (2)
Sanfu service truck ( just slipped a timing belt )

Tractors-
32' Cat - my work horse
46' Case VAO
53' Td-6 Loader

The bad part is I have gotten rid of 4 in the last year ... mostly the finished ones ??.. WTF.gif
Dr Evil
Right on, Luke. You got 2 honda dreams biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention that I am also currently looking for a 74-75 VW westy so I can convert it to an automatic /6 corvair motor with fuchs wheels screwy.gif
Luke
Dr.. yeah the Dreams are pretty cool !. The 305 was to be my wife's .. until she got pregnant .. so much for riding ...... Been sitting ever since ....

I like Corvairs ... but I've seen some pretty nice Subie Westies ....
Dr Evil
I am not above a suby westy...the corvair would just be simpler. Bolt in and go with the adaptors biggrin.gif The dream is Noels first bike....I hope she rides it before she gets pregnant (in the next 3-4 years rolleyes.gif )
scotty b
QUOTE(Luke @ Aug 15 2007, 02:58 PM) *

Scotty,
I too have the same affliction ... I hear it from my buddy all the time ... and their probably right !.... '64 Mid Century house, Wife, Kids and my own business ... And my junk ... Ha ....

Restored -
68' Electra Glide .. ( still need love to keep on the road )

Un-restored Drivers - ( Needs tinkering here and there )
58' GMC Napco Suburban
Honda CT-70

In progress -
74' 914 - Subie
56' GMC crew cab Napco - running
69 Dodge Powerwagon crew - running
55' Victress - vintage racer

On hold -
55' Chevy 210 - running
64' GTO
75' 914 - parts car ?
67' Triumph 650 tr6
46' Triumph 350 3T
Honda Dream (2)
Greeves (2)
Sanfu service truck ( just slipped a timing belt )

Tractors-
32' Cat - my work horse
46' Case VAO
53' Td-6 Loader

The bad part is I have gotten rid of 4 in the last year ... mostly the finished ones ??.. WTF.gif

You are my new bestest friend drunk.gif
scotty b
I actually am in the process of lightening the load. A buch of parts and one "container" vehicle are now on E-bay and I beleive I have the Puma sold to someone in N.J. I have alomost completely scrapped the plans for the Suburban in exchange for a newer (less rusty) model. The drivetrain from the Burb will be donated partly to my dads J-10 and partly to my latest project insearch of.....a 48-53 chevy pickup. headbang.gif 2 projects gone and only 1 new one is progress right???? sad.gif Thos e2 were major ones though........the new one if found will be a "rat" type ride. Not pretty, just pretty bad ass aktion035.gif
Mr.C
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 15 2007, 04:04 PM) *

Right on, Luke. You got 2 honda dreams biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention that I am also currently looking for a 74-75 VW westy so I can convert it to an automatic /6 corvair motor with fuchs wheels screwy.gif

LOL I just got rid of a near perfect interior and top 75 westy with no engine and trans for.........................$200 I don't give a crap anymore I want it all gone.
Dr Evil
Ya, but your in CA where they grow on trees. I remember sad.gif Out here its different blink.gif
charliew
You guys reminded me of some more stuff:
96 1200 sportster 6500 miles spent 4k trying to make it out run hondas
65 massey ferguson my car dragger
52 vac case new tires and guages and clutch and seals, my first tractor
91 1 ton suburban 4 wd with platform on top, varmint hunter
91 4wd 1/2 ton sub. burnt, good 373 axles tranny and transfer, haven't taken apart yet, biggest eyesore you can imagine
Oh yeah 70 trail 70 honda
1 cad 500 motor and tranny
1 low mileage 3800 buick
1 built 5.7 4 bolt main vortec for the 1 ton flood truck
1 tiawan mill that came with nc controls that I haven't found hand crank and dials for yet. I've got the threephase stuff though.

If I had a 40 inch waist I couldn't walk through my shop for all the subie motors and vw stuff

Dr Evil, I know where there is a nice westy with a crank up roof, I don't know the year, it's been setting for awhile waiting for a new owner. the owners got more stuff than me. It's out side Waco, Tx. thats halfway to calif. He's even got several subie brats. He has so much stuff some of it is at my house. all vw stuff I am supposed to sell.

Charlie
orange914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 16 2007, 05:55 PM) *

Currently in the werks:

dads 914
my 944
sandrail to sell

Wating in the wings:

o.k. so i'm a whiner... seriously you've got quite a load, there is great joy in a finished project and a job well done. maybe you should sell a few, that would give you more focus and even dollars to outsource some work for time consideration. smilie_pokal.gif

but who am i to talk i'm still not done with a nut for nut restoration on my 67 mustang i bought in 1988! (apx. 98%) it's tought me some valuable lesson though about forthought and planning.

good luck, my sons 914's been alot of fun, it's definately a good car to focus on.

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.