Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seam Sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Eric_Shea
I have some areas on the GT project that I would like to cover with seam sealer. I would like to emulate the factory "spray on" variety that is already present in this 74 tub.

Does anyone know the process or product involved? I've searched and found McKanica in an aerosol but it still comes out like the 70 version in a bead that you would smear around. I want the bubbly appearance of the later cars.

Thoughts?
Johny Blackstain
Eric- called my bud Pete down in Charolette- he runs a body shop down there & used to run the one in Rockville my other buddies own. Anyway, he said 3M makes a foaming seam sealer & that's what you want to use to replicate the original sealer. Does not remember the name or part # but he's working on it & I'll get it to you ASAP.
Problem is, according to Pete, it takes practice. You have to practice doing what you want to replicate, onto some cardboard. This can get expensive as I'm sure the stuff is going to be something like $35.00/can... wholesale!

cool_shades.gif
Ferg
Eric, I will ask my paint guy as well, I had them replicate it on the rear trunk of the white six during paint, and it was almost a perfect match as far as texture...

Ferg smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Excellent guys. Thanks. Keep me posted please.

If there's a "home" solution, that's kind of what I am looking for. If not and it takes a Schutz gun then I'm OK with that as well, I'd just like to know the process.
Johny Blackstain
OK, no response yet from 3M but here's something very unexpected-

Wurth Sprayable Sealer- (part # 8909228-U) available from Wurth FLA., Wurth IL., Wurth NJ. or most likely in your case, because it's closest, Wurth CA.- 1(800) 346-4198. This product is Dutch & very likely the original culprit. Must be applied w/ a gun that can cost anywhere from $250.00 to $500.00! Part # on the gun is: (8916280). Comes w/ different tips for different widths & again- practice practice practice.

Still working on the 3M alternative. Does that help biggrin.gif ?

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
My painter has a Schutz gun that he did Gint's car with... is the Wurth sealer the same as the Wurth Body Schutz?

Good lead... I'll dig in to that one.

(Dutch or Deutch?)

Thanks Skippy!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 04:22 PM) *

My painter has a Schutz gun that he did Gint's car with... is the Wurth sealer the same as the Wurth Body Schutz?

(Dutch or Deutch?)

Thanks Skippy!

Well @ least you didn't have the nerve to call me Jif dry.gif . Dutch as in Holland/Nederlands. I don't know if it's the same as the shutz. Still waiting for the 3M callback. Skippy... should have never said nothin. laugh.gif

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
I like Skippy... the name "sticks" (so to speak) biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 06:35 PM) *

I like Skippy... the name "sticks" (so to speak) biggrin.gif

av-943.gif

Should I change my name to Skippy Blackstain? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Beats Skippy Brownstain...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 08:29 PM) *

Beats Skippy Brownstain...

That's the whole point of wearing matching black underwear! av-943.gif
Ferg
My guy used a Schutz gun, not sure what product he used, it's been a couple of years.

Ferg smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2007, 02:22 PM) *

(Dutch or Deutch?)

Thanks Skippy!

NO! It isn't. And the Schutz gun (I have one) is to be used for Body Schutz only (rubbuerized undercoating).

The sealer is a whole different animal.

There were two forms of seam sealer application:

1. Swab, paint, daub & touchup - very early 914's.
2. Goosh & paint - '72 on 914's/

While I have no idea what sort of tool or compound they used in either case, the effect was dramatically different in appearance. Many people would look at the early 914's & say it's wrong. Not so. Production techniques changed sometime in early '72 to the goosh & paint method.

I'm ceratin they had some sort of forced air & good tool, but have never seen one. Could be they just used a caulking gun, but that doesn't sound efficient for a produstion line.

Pat
xsurfer
I just had a suspension pan installed in a taildragger. Wurth was used in the trunk. Sprayed on for sure. Kevin has been restoring Porsches for about 30 years.
I'll ask then post. I need to know for my six's paint job.

Great question!

scotty b
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 17 2007, 08:22 AM) *

OK, no response yet from 3M but here's something very unexpected-

Wurth Sprayable Sealer- (part # 8909228-U) available from Wurth FLA., Wurth IL., Wurth NJ. or most likely in your case, because it's closest, Wurth CA.- 1(800) 346-4198. This product is Dutch & very likely the original culprit. Must be applied w/ a gun that can cost anywhere from $250.00 to $500.00! Part # on the gun is: (8916280). Comes w/ different tips for different widths & again- practice practice practice.

Still working on the 3M alternative. Does that help biggrin.gif ?

cool_shades.gif

That will definitly yeild THE BEST results. We use that setup at werk and I can tell you from personal experience it is almost perfect. I believe with a little adjustment it can be an exact match. BUT yes the gun is expensive. HOWEVER if'n you buy a case of the seam sealer you get the gun for "free" rolleyes.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We use the Wurth stuff with the two special Wurth guns, and one CANNOT tell its application from that of the original factory
orthobiz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.