Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I remove the old POR15?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zimms
I am going to have my shell media blasted soon, and don't know if I need to remove the old POR 15 in the underside adn in the front trunk. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark
swl
any sign of failure in the POR-15? Cracks, signs of rust underneath? That sort of stuff. If it is intact I wouldn't bother touching it. It seems to be a pretty premium coating. Just remember that new paint won't stick to it without their etching primer.
Zimms
Thanks! The coating seems to be intact and the job looked pretty thorough.
TravisNeff
I would imaging that the POR15 would come right off with teh media blasting.
Zimms
I thought so too, but the media blaster I discussed it with said that it quadruples the time, and the price follows. I am working on a second opinion now.

Thanks!
tod914
aircraft stripper will take it right off. but u might want to be carefull so you dont remove any of the seal sealer along with it, unless u plan on redoing that prior to painting. If your going throught all the effort of repainting the car.. Id remove it (aleast in the front trunk), and repaint it if you can. you'll know what you have underneath it then too. good luck, post some pics if you get a chance smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.