Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk Targa Clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
So I spent the entire weekend cleaning the easiest part of the car- the rear trunk. My trunk looked like stromberg.gif & really should not have. It's appearance did devalue the car. But looks can be deceiving happy11.gif .

Anyway, part of fixing up the trunk was replacing a long broken targa clip. There is no fixing one of these, only replacing. Mine were riveted. I thought they all were. I asked George (AA) & he said no, some were bolted & some were riveted. Big rivets! Had to go out & get some & had to use washers on the back side as well. This is not original, as the original rivets were very large & did not need a washer backside. I've been unable to find anything like them. It was the best I could do & they're still riveted, not bolted.

This is a simple fix & I felt silly taking pictures to make a thread. I also realize how difficult it is to take pics & pop rivets biggrin.gif .

First shot is of the open space. I drilled out the old rivets & kept a shop vac handy to vacume up the aluminum shards. Sorry, did not take a pic of this step. Second shot is of the right side original. Yes Pat, I know I need to clean it biggrin.gif . Third shot is of rivets, rivet washers, rivet gun & spare OEM clips. Shot four was the real point of the thread- I had to use the washer on the backside to prevent the rivet from poping out of the hole in the body. Body holes are very big for very big rivets.
Johny Blackstain
Next shot is fuzzy but you can see I stuck the rivet into the clip. After that I shoved the clip & rivet into it's respective hole. The next step was impossible for me to document. I reached behind the firewall, felt the rivet & placed a washer on the backside & held it there while operating the gun w/ my other hand. This was achieved by having both the trunk & engine compartment open at the same time. Last shot is of the original & a mistake!
Johny Blackstain
This is a shot of the repaired clip followed by a shot of the result of a weekends worth of cleaning a trunk w/ 47.5K miles on it.
Johny Blackstain
What my trunk used to look like last week. Note broken left targa clip.
914runnow
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 17 2007, 03:05 PM) *

So I spent the entire weekend cleaning the easiest part of the car- the rear trunk. My trunk looked like stromberg.gif & really should not have. It's appearance did devalue the car. But looks can be deceiving happy11.gif .

Anyway, part of fixing up the trunk was replacing a long broken targa clip. There is no fixing one of these, only replacing. Mine were riveted. I thought they all were. I asked George (AA) & he said no, some were bolted & some were riveted. Big rivets! Had to go out & get some & had to use washers on the back side as well. This is not original, as the original rivets were very large & did not need a washer backside. I've been unable to find anything like them. It was the best I could do & they're riveted, not bolted.

This is a simple fix & I felt silly taking pictures to make a thread. I also realize how difficult it is to take pics & pop rivets biggrin.gif .

First shot is of the open space. I drilled out the old rivets & kept a shop vac handy to vacume up the aluminum shards. Sorry, did not take a pic of this step. Second shot is of the right side original. Yes Pat, I know I need to clean it biggrin.gif . Third shot is of rivets, rivet washers, rivet gun & spare OEM clips. Shot four was the real point of the thread- I had to use the washer on the backside to prevent the rivet from poping out of the hole in the body. Body holes are very big for very big rivets.

Hello there.....
Well, been a looooooong while since I have been on here..
Anyway.....
There is a 'stock OEM bolt' that is a replacement for that rivet.....
never checked the price when I ordered them.....
6 years ago paid 3.50 each for those darlings...>might< have the #
still around..
the judges can never argue with a OEM S/S Porsche part..
Although thanx for the post and Good Job BTW!!!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jul 17 2007, 08:26 PM) *

Hello there.....
Well, been a looooooong while since I have been on here..
Anyway.....
There is a 'stock OEM bolt' that is a replacement for that rivet.....
never checked the price when I ordered them.....
6 years ago paid 3.50 each for those darlings...>might< have the #
still around..
the judges can never argue with a OEM S/S Porsche part..
Although thanx for the post and Good Job BTW!!!

Thanks & I'm aware of the bolts, just never thought it was stock until recently. My six has them bolted in & I was going to swap them out for rivets but no need to now. I had to re-rivet the clip onto the LE because... well because it's an LE & it came that way biggrin.gif .
orthobiz
Clean trunk! How'd you get the RED out? Visine? There's no surface rust in the "after" picture.

Paul
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 18 2007, 10:28 PM) *

Clean trunk! How'd you get the RED out? Visine? There's no surface rust in the "after" picture.

Paul

There was no surface rust to begin with. What little rust there was I just scraped & used touch up on. The filth & the stains were removed by using a ton of elbow grease, rubbing compund as Pat suggested & I used CLR to get the brown stains off off the Wurth seam sealer. Like Pat I'm paranoid about rust so I applied CLR, rinsed as directed, dried w/ paper towels & then vacumed any moisture left behind. That stupid trunk took a good 16 hrs of my life- it had better look good biggrin.gif . Thanks.

BTW- rubbing compound leaves paint extremely exposed- wax immediately afterwards.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 18 2007, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 18 2007, 10:28 PM) *

Paul

There was no surface rust to begin with. What little rust there was I just scraped & used touch up on. The filth & the stains were removed by using a ton of elbow grease, rubbing compund as Pat suggested & I used CLR to get the brown stains off off the Wurth seam sealer. Like Pat I'm paranoid about rust so I applied CLR, rinsed as directed, dried w/ paper towels & then vacumed any moisture left behind. That stupid trunk took a good 16 hrs of my life- it had better look good biggrin.gif . Thanks.

BTW- rubbing compound leaves paint extremely exposed- wax immediately afterwards.

It DOES look good! You did well & left it original. 16 hours well spent. You LE guys scare the crap out of me, and you're making it worse.

Move to another area now. And do more pics like these. Really helps/scares the rest!
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 18 2007, 10:51 PM) *

It DOES look good! You did well & left it original. 16 hours well spent. You LE guys scare the crap out of me, and you're making it worse.

Move to another area now. And do more pics like these. Really helps/scares the rest!
Pat

Why biggrin.gif ? What's so scary about an LE happy11.gif ? Thanks Pat, maybe someone reading this, who thought all we are is a funky paint job, will learn something from your statement & get a nice kick in the tush. This was my 1st attempt at an info/how to thread & I guess I'll keep trying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.