Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Participated in the PCA Monterey Bay Region concours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ScooterD
I decided to go to the PCA Monterey Bay Region concours in Carmel Valley with my newly restored car and participate in the street category as I had changed my wheels to 5 bolt 6X16 Fuchs because I have always wanted those wheels on my car. This is the first concours I have ever entered in so I was not familiar with exactly what they were looking for. When I got there 3 different people told me I should go full concours because they said my car was nice enough and the rules had changed about originality and only really mattered in the preservation category so I could get away with the 5 bolt wheels in the full concours class. I had not anticipated going full concours so I didn't clean the back sides of the wheels or the under the car. I did take a first place in my class because I was the only one, BUT I did get 247.25 points out of 250 total possible. I got dinged 1.75 points for dirt behind the wheels , under the car and a spot in the engine compartment. If I had been prepared, I may have scored a 249 out of 250. It was a lot of fun and I met a bunch of really nice people. The next event I will spend a lot more time cleaning down under!
Here are some pictures.
Scott

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
I can't stand the thought of those people crawling all over my car! laugh.gif Congrats!! smilie_pokal.gif
ScooterD
Johny,
They were actually very considerate and had me doing all the opening of the doors and lids and removal of anything for inspection. They didn't touch anything unless they suspected finding dirt anywhere, then they just put their finger on the suspect spot. I did not feel violated in any way.
Scott

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 17 2007, 08:54 PM) *

I can't stand the thought of those people crawling all over my car! laugh.gif Congrats!! smilie_pokal.gif

Jasfsmith
EXCELLENT!

Another CW in the making.....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 18 2007, 10:23 AM) *

EXCELLENT!

Another CW in the making.....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Ferg
thumb3d.gif Well done! I like to see modified cars winning happy11.gif

Ferg w00t.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 18 2007, 06:53 AM) *

thumb3d.gif Well done! I like to see modified cars winning happy11.gif

Ferg w00t.gif

OMG! 6x16 wheels on a 914!!! w00t.gif
3....2.....1....thread locked.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Scott,
Nice wheel wells!
Congrats on your car! clap56.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
Nicely done! Now, you're hooked!

Can we see some pics of the motor & boots?

Pat
DanT
And to think....he autocrossed the car this weekend.... smile.gif

don't look at those wheel wells now.
ScooterD
Guilty, busted, but had a lot of fun! driving.gif
I did put tape on the fender lips and didn't notice any new chips. Now I have 2 weeks to get ready for the GGR concours in Redwood City. It is time to put it on jackstands again.
Scott
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Jul 22 2007, 07:28 PM) *

Guilty, busted, but had a lot of fun! driving.gif
I did put tape on the fender lips and didn't notice any new chips. Now I have 2 weeks to get ready for the GGR concours in Redwood City. It is time to put it on jackstands again.
Scott

As I said earlier - you are so hooked! If you have a sweat car to concours, AND you still have eye-hand coordination to autocross competitively, you're at your peak. Maximize!

Pat
ScooterD
Pat,
Here are some pics of the motor and 'boots' as you put it, and a picture of the interior and underside. Hey, since when does a German car have a boot anyway?
Scott

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Jul 23 2007, 12:06 AM) *

Pat,
Here are some pics of the motor and 'boots' as you put it, and a picture of the interior and underside. Hey, since when does a German car have a boot anyway?
Scott

I have to ask how the hell are your aluminum engine cooling housing, tranny & engine bar so damned clean & shiny? That thing sparkles! thumb3d.gif
ScooterD
Johny,
I took the motor out to clean it up, fix the oil leaks and change out the cam. I really wanted to put in the Raby 9550 cam because I heard so much about it and I am glad I did because it really runs well. When the motor was out I hydrohoned the cooling housing. Hydrohoning is a wet glass bead blasting process that leaves the surface with a very nice finish on it compared to dry glass bead blasting, it is a much smoother finish on aluminum and allows you to wipe grease of without it getting stuck in a coarse finish like dry blasting. The tranny was just a case of lots of elbow grease, a toothbrush and ordinary paint thinner. I was amazed how clean it came out. The engine bar I dry bead blasted it and put nothing on it afterwards, I suspect it will rust with time. I believe the factory sand blasted them after they were forged. I have heard of people putting a low gloss clear coat, but I opted out. When the engine was out I must have spent about 10 hours with wire brushes going over all the oxidized surfaces on the cases until I got a nice looking uniform shine. It looks like a brand new case, but by the time I was done I felt like I needed an elbow replacement. I lost track of how many hours I spent cleaning the pan with a toothbrush, rags and paint thinner. As you know it is a labor of love, just another crazy CW! rolleyes.gif
Scott

Here is pic of the pan.

Click to view attachment

Ferg
Again, this looks like a fantastic car. clap56.gif

Care to share how it looked before you did some of the resto work?

Ferg beerchug.gif
ScooterD
Ferg,
The car had the original paint an interior, the worst part was the battery tray and by 914 standards was probably in the 90th percentile to start. I did repaint the tray and shelf below. Attached is the before picture, which is not a very good picture. My main focus on restoring the car was taking nearly everything apart to clean lube and restore it. I took the calipers apart and replated and rebuilt them because the right rear one was sticking, there was a significant amount of rust on the pistons and cylinders. Bleed your brakes often!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 23 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Again, this looks like a fantastic car. clap56.gif

Care to share how it looked before you did some of the resto work?

Ferg beerchug.gif

JeffBowlsby
Attaboy Scott. What an excellent car you have...drooley.gif thumb3d.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Jul 22 2007, 10:06 PM) *

Pat,
Scott

Ferg,

SSSSwweet!

Beautifully done!

Mind if I copy some of the pics to athe appropriate nailed thread?

Pat
ScooterD
Pat,
Feel free to copy the pics. If you want higher resolution pictures, I can send them to you or post them in a particular place if you would like. These are ~50K in size, the originals are ~1500K, I can go ~100K or ~250K per picture if you want.
Let me know,
Scott

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 25 2007, 07:02 PM) *

Pat,
Scott

Ferg,

SSSSwweet!

Beautifully done!

Pat

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Jul 25 2007, 08:39 PM) *

Pat,
Feel free to copy the pics. If you want higher resolution pictures, I can send them to you or post them in a particular place if you would like. These are ~50K in size, the originals are ~1500K, I can go ~100K or ~250K per picture if you want.
Let me know,
Scott

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 25 2007, 07:02 PM) *

Pat,
Scott

Ferg,

SSSSwweet!

Beautifully done!

Pat

How about sending me what you have, in say 250k format. Send them to porschefan@aol.com & I'll make them fit the format for the forum. Load me up!

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.