Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any way to drill a chrome bumper ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
I want to bring my 73 to date by adding the rubber bumper guards in the front. My current front bumper is in very good shape but does not have holes for the rubber bumper guards. Is there any way without to drill holes without damaging the chrome?

cheers,

Lev
914nerd
Sell the ones without holes and buy ones with them
The ones without holes and in good shape command a premium around here
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif Don't damage the good ones sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Center punch the center point, pilot drill, 'em, and follow with an 8mm drill. Hit the holes with a bit of POR-15 before you install the guards. The Cap'n
G e o r g e
pm me i have good chrome 74 bumpers beerchug.gif
markb
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jul 17 2007, 09:34 PM) *

agree.gif
Don't drill the early ones, trade for one with the rubbers already on them. The early ones are harder to find.
Rand
Is there any way without to drill holes without damaging the chrome?

Yes, center-punch and drill.

But why? Most guys are going for the opposite! You may be better off working out a deal with someone who doesn't want you to molest those bumpers.
messix
whattareya new!!!! this is a joke right! slap.gif
Spoke
I'll trade ya. I have ones with holes and I'm looking for the no bumper guard look.

Spoke
orthobiz
Finally! Someone like ME who actually LIKES the bumperettes! I have a 74 some right now I'm FULLLLL of bumper guards. Sorry, but I don't know how to drill chrome properly. I'm just posting to give you moral support.

Paul
plas76targa
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 17 2007, 11:51 PM) *

I'll trade ya. I have ones with holes and I'm looking for the no bumper guard look.

Spoke

dry.gif Damnit Spoke, you beat me to it. I've got a '72 with a later bumper on the front. I'd trade too! ( if you're interested in adding the bumperettes, I have those)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jul 17 2007, 10:34 PM) *

I wholeheartedly agree!!!!!!
por73914
agree.gif
boxstr
I have more bumpers with holes than I do without. I actually have them filled when I send a bumper in for chroming.
I would not drill a good bumper. Yes it can be done.
CCLINCAMP914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.