Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with tie rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evan
Just got a call from the mechanic, told him my steering felt funny maybe needing an alignment. they called and said i need a right front tie-rod. how much should i expect to pay for one and maybe installation? Is it easy to do? I have minimal tools and no lift.
evan
Cano
Last fall Pelican had the "good" ones for about $150 a set. You can probably get the cheaper ones (crappier seals) for about $100-120. No idea on what they would charge to install.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
17 bucks for a tie rod end is plenty!
McMark
Is it stock or the turbo tie rod upgrade? If it's stock, is it the inner our the outer that has failed? Tie rods can be a PITA to change, but it's not complicated.
Joe Ricard
Agree with Mc Mark. However not that bad if they are doing an alignment also.
black73
I paid $32 for a tie rod end and about $50 to have it installed last year... plus $150 for 4wheel alignment, plus strut inserts, plus wheel bearing adjustment... came to about $800 by the time they were finished.
rhodyguy
buy 2 new ends, at a minimum. have your guy look at the bushings in the stock rods (if that's what you have) where the rods meet the yoke @ the rack. more often than not, they're garbage. if it's the stock setup, you're better off stepping up and getting the 'turbo' version. if the other side goes bad you're going to pay for another alignment. you can put them in. simple. the cost of the 2 stock ends and labor savings will pay for the turbos.

k
Johny Blackstain
It's been a couple of years but I landed a set of Turbo Tie Rods on eBay for $95. Keep an eye open for them... you might get lucky. I was going to use them on the LE & maybe still will, after Charolette happy11.gif .
McMark
Watch the brand on turbo tie rods. Lemforder is the OE manufacturer and people have reported failure of the rubber boots on the 'discount' brands. Once the rubber boots are gone, the life of the part is shortened.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 18 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Watch the brand on turbo tie rods. Lemforder is the OE manufacturer and people have reported failure of the rubber boots on the 'discount' brands. Once the rubber boots are gone, the life of the part is shortened.

Mark- the ones in question are "Almax", not Lemforder & there are no markings on the rubber boots. Did I fuch up?
Dr Evil
Oooo, sorry to hear that, Johny. I bought the same ones and ALL of the rubber crapped out within 3mo and I was forced to get the Lems. sad.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 18 2007, 06:40 PM) *

Oooo, sorry to hear that, Johny. I bought the same ones and ALL of the rubber crapped out within 3mo and I was forced to get the Lems. sad.gif

It the rubber alone available? Are the rods themselves OK? Would using Lemforder rubber over these Almax rods be acceptable?
Dr Evil
Nope, the rubber on the joint end dried out and crumbled and the accordion boots did the same. The rubber turned out to be shit. this happened on a car that was not even used dry.gif It could be like the lottery, maybe you will have better luck, but I know that the ebay $95 set from that manufacturer were the ones I and others were having problems with.
Johny Blackstain
stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif !
GWN7
Item Number: TK930
Main Category: PORSCHE
Sub Category: Suspension
Description: Turbo Tie Rods
Manufacturer: GPR:WELT
List Price:
Your Price: $ 149.00
Core Price:
Weight: 30.000
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.