Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Spray paint from under the front bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jonferns
Hey, I took off the valance yesterday, and noticed some black paint drips and that under the front bumper its painted black...is it supposed to be like this? Thanks

IPB Image
Ferg
Nope.

How far under does the black go? They may have repainted the bumper on the car, and the fog grill opening was not taped off...

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jon,
Here's a pic of the front of a '70/4 w/o valence and bumper. That area would be painted body color, as I would imagine later MYs would be.
jonferns
I just went out to the garage and checked, Ferg was right, it is only painted in the fog light opening...the PO probably repainted the bumper at one point, and didnt mask....the rest is yellow
G e o r g e
jonferns
Some parts of the car will have to be repainted in the near future anyway. I can just have it painted over
Ferg
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 18 2007, 12:51 PM) *

some parts of the car will have to be repainted in the near future anyway...I will paint over the black, and make it yellow again...And use wurth paint for the bumpers?

Before you do that, try and remove the black with some thinner of sorts, (I don't know what to recommend...)

Ferg.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 18 2007, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 18 2007, 12:51 PM) *

some parts of the car will have to be repainted in the near future anyway...I will paint over the black, and make it yellow again...And use wurth paint for the bumpers?

Before you do that, try and remove the black with some thinner of sorts, (I don't know what to recommend...)

Ferg.

Try some non-chlorinated brake cleaner to take paint off & not hurt the paint underneath. Also try a lot of elbow grease & rubbing compound. Test these in non conspicuous spots first before all the yellow melts off & you say I owe you a paint job biggrin.gif .
jonferns
Try some non-chlorinated brake cleaner to take paint off & not hurt the paint underneath. Also try a lot of elbow grease & rubbing compound. Test these in non conspicuous spots first before all the yellow melts off & you say I owe you a paint job biggrin.gif .

sounds good man...ill see if it works tonight, when I go buy some...if not, ill be back
jonferns
OK, so I removed the bumper, and spent over an hour and a half rubbing the spray painted area with paint thinner...After letting it sit on there for a few minutes, the light areas came off (but still not easily)..overall, in 1 hour, I completed a 3" x 3" area...Is there anything else I can use (as far as chemicals go) to remove this crap?

I didnt have a chance to head down to the FLAPS, but will tomorrow to get the brake cleaner

doh! I forgot to try the rubbing compound, I have some 3M stuff, let me go try that

thanks alot everyone
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 18 2007, 07:57 PM) *

OK, so I removed the bumper, and spent over an hour and a half rubbing the spray painted area with paint thinner...After letting it sit on there for a few minutes, the light areas came off (but still not easily)..overall, in 1 hour, I completed a 3" x 3" area...Is there anything else I can use (as far as chemicals go) to remove this crap?

I didnt have a chance to head down to the FLAPS, but will tomorrow to get the brake cleaner (non-chlorinated)...

doh! I forgot to try the rubbing compound, I have some 3M stuff...ill see if that works...so, please feel free to suggest something...I need help!

thanks alot everyone -JON

Here's what I've had success with - on other cars.

First - leave the paint run streaks until last. They may not even show after the bumper is back in place. I have a suggestion for those, but it could be severe, so leave them alone for now. Concentrate on seeing yellow behind the grills.

Don't use any harsh chemicals! No brake cleaner & especially no thinner!!!!!!

Expect to spend some time & use a quality, soft rubbing compound. Not the paste in a can either - too harsh. I have had good luck with (yep, it's pedestrian) Turtle Wax liquid rubbing compound. Use it sparingly, with light rubbing in a linear fashion (no roundy round stuff). It'll take it off. May take several attempts, but it WILL come off. Just try not to go deeply into the yellow/original paint.

If the runs still show, PM me for some REALLY CAUTIOUS attempts at removing it, because the runs are thick & will take more extreme measures (probably).
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 18 2007, 09:57 PM) *

I didnt have a chance to head down to the FLAPS, but will tomorrow to get the brake cleaner (non-chlorinated)...

doh! I forgot to try the rubbing compound, I have some 3M stuff...ill see if that works...so, please feel free to suggest something...I need help!

thanks alot everyone -JON

Jon- there's a multitude of chemicals you can use but you're trying to protect the yellow underneath no? The non-chlorinated brake cleaner seems like it will be the best but be careful- test first! It's what I've been using to take the undercoating off of my suspension components & dirt/grease off of my painted hinges. Rubbing compund will also take a lot of effort & you can go through the yellow w/ that as well. Be careful & take your time. As to the brand I use it's good old fashioned turtle wax rubbing compound. Been around now for 900 years & it works.
jonferns
I currently have this stuff in my garage, think its good?
Click to view attachment

-JON
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 19 2007, 09:48 AM) *

I currently have this stuff in my garage, think its good?
Click to view attachment

-JON

I don't see why not? I've never used it but I know 3M makes good stuff. If it's really runny, not very paste like, it's probably meant for a machine & not hand use. That does not mean you can't use your hand & it should work. It will take effort. Never use the paste & a machine- always by hand w/ paste.
jonferns
its a little liquidy, but not too too runny....I will give it a shot
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 19 2007, 09:45 AM) *

its a little liquidy, but not too too runny....I will give it a shot

Just take it slowly! If you get down to pure yellow - stop. Work in small areas, until it's all yellow. Use light strokes!

When it looks like you've uncovered all the yellow, stop. Then use a high quality wax. Chances are, you won't have to touch it for another 10 years.

Can we see pic's of the finished product when yu get there. Would be helpful for all.
Pat
jonferns
The 3M stuff didnt do too much to affect it. I think im gonna try the turtle wax compound and see what that can do
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.