Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air compressor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I have a question about my air compressor.

Lately I have been turning it off when I am done working, then draining the water out via the drain plug. But once the water was out, I was leaving it pressurized for the next day. I figure that is less wear and tear then having to re-pressurize the tank every day that you need to do work, and would save time if you needed air for some other task (like charging a bike tire before going riding). if the tank was fully pressurized before I turn the compressor off, it could have ~100 psi of air after draining the water out of the bottom of the tank.

Is this harmfull?

I am taking the pressure out of the hose and setting my regulator for 0 PSI, so I don't think it would strain the regulator. Am I wrong here?

Zach

McMark
Most people I know leave them pressurized and rarely drain them. So I think you're ahead of the game regardless.
sww914
I drain mine at least once a year. I've never intentionally depressurized it except to move it. All that air weighs quite a bit.
Johny Blackstain
Actually, sounds like a pretty good way to test your tank for leaks. Also sounds like what your doing & the way your doing it isn't going to hurt anything.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 18 2007, 05:19 PM) *

I drain mine at least once a year. I've never intentionally depressurized it except to move it. All that air weighs quite a bit.

Well, mine is bolted to the floor, so it won't be moving anywhere.

Thanks all. I am thinking I will be fine. I just wanted to know what other folks did.

For the guys that don't drain the tanks, arn't you worried about rust weakening the tank, causing an eventual tank blowout? Granted, the MidAtlantic is pretty humid, but there is a significant amount of water in mine after just one afternoon of work.

Zach
rhodyguy
when you release the air draining it and represurize it, you fill it back up with moist air. which will condense and form water...again. when done for the day, drain it and close the petcock the next time you use it. under constant use on a job site they cycle up alot.

k
zymurgist
I've had mine for 6 years or so and rarely if ever drain it. The way I see it, it's got these big iron fittings on the bottom of the tank. If those ever rust through, it's time to go back to Home Depot. Besides, I think the compressor will wear out before the tank does.

When I do drain it, it's usually because I've been doing lots of sandblasting (heavy usage).
SLITS
The entrained moisture laden air kills your air tools. We used to drain once per week in the hot humid summer ... slightly less in the winter. Also, we did a daily injection of oil to protect the tools.

Now, we have a refrigeration system on the output to remove the moisture.
Air_Cooled_Nut
My 60-gallon Craftsman says drain the air from it every day. Mine has a petcock at the very bottom center of the tank that is used to drain the last 20psi and water from the tank. I try to do this every day and even low-humidity days (inland west coast) I still get water draining/dribbling from the tank.

I would venture a guess that summer in the southwest or winter in the north (where the temp is below freezing) are the only times you won't have to worry about moisture in the air condensing in the tank wink.gif

I put three drops of air tool oil in my tools every day I use them. Habit I picked up during community automotive classes at the community college.
zymurgist
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 18 2007, 07:51 PM) *

The entrained moisture laden air kills your air tools. We used to drain once per week in the hot humid summer ... slightly less in the winter. Also, we did a daily injection of oil to protect the tools.

I dribble oil into my expensive IR impact wrench. The rest of my air tools are Harbor Freight specials so if they break, I will toss them in the trash and replace them. Funny, none of them have broken yet... probably because they don't see the usage that they would in a professional shop.
bondo
I picked up an automatic compressor drain kit from harbor freight. It drains water from the tank every time the compressor shuts off. Of course I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.