Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need help finding cheap shipping for T-shirts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am trying to find the cheapest way to send T-shirts to people. So far I have had no luck finding anything very inexpensive.

Top candidates:
- USPS flat rate envelope if it will fit for $4.60
- USPS flat rate box for 2 or more shirts $8.95

Any info is greatly appreciated biggrin.gif
sww914
You can lie and call it media mail. Technically, it is something to read, it's just printed on cloth. Way cheaper.
hwgunner
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 18 2007, 04:09 PM) *

You can lie and call it media mail. Technically, it is something to read, it's just printed on cloth. Way cheaper.

This is true but I think that the PO reserves the right to make media mail take as long as they want. I think that Priority is the best way to go. I find most people do not mind paying Priority mail as long as you do not sit on the order for 3 or 4 days or more. BTW, check and see what 2 shirts would be in a regular box or the 'Tyvec' envelope to the west coast. If it is 2.0 pounds or less it should be cheaper to do regular Priority than to do the Flat rate box. If it is 2 pounds 1 ounce or more it is better to use the flat rate box, by my quick calculations with the usps shipping calculator. Check it with my zip as I am on the west coast. 93420

BTW, I got a single t-shirt from dlo in one of the tyvec envelopes and it did just fine. Those envelopes are impossible to rip.

And, isn't there a flat rate envelope for $4.60?? can't you cram 2 shirts in that. Sweet talk the lady at the PO and tell her that you are going to be doing a lot of Priority shipping and get her to give you a roll or 2 of the priority tape. That way you can make sure the flat rate envelope does not bust open.

Also Dr. you could go to the dude at the PO and tell him you are a docter and try and sweet talk him.

WOW, that took me 20 minutes to compose alfred.gif

Cap'n Krusty
I'm the Cap'n, and I have a Hawaiian shirt problem ................. Some of the E-bay sellers who've enabled my problem have sent them first class mail in those padded mailer bags. I'd look into them, if I were you. The Cap'n
iamchappy
Whatever the cost comes out to be, I dont think anyone is going to care what the shipping is on these way cool Evil Tees.....

Most of my tees show up in a tyvec USPS priority envelope.
jonferns
just go with the flat-rate envelope, and tape the crap out of it...the strapping tape (tape with fibers in it) goes for like $2 (?) at my local drugstore...stuffs hard to rip off....u shouldnt have a problem...Lets get these tee's rolling, before I leave for vacation biggrin.gif -JON
boxstr
I shipped the CAMP 914 race T shirts recently, and they went out in regular envelopes. You really aren't going to be able to save much withthe USPS. Thye have their weights and sizes and thats what you pay.
I do my labels at home on the computer with the help of stamps.com. It is much easier than going to the PO and standing in line.
CCLINCAMPNATION
blitZ
FedEx is typically cheaper than UPS. Those big padded envelopes should be fine for shirts, probably get them cheapest at an office supply store.
JB 914
Mike,

I ship alot of software via USPS. I use the priority mail flat rate envelope. If you are going to accept this payment via PayPal they have a built in shipping label with USPS.
once you receive the payment you can print out the label. NO TYPING / WRITING LABELS. piratenanner.gif

you can sign up with USPS online with a credit card and have them ship you the envelopes and supplies at no charge.

The cost is the same as the USPS site and/or the Post Office.

you can use printer sticky labels you can peel and stick. I think UPS has some sticky printer labels.

Dr Evil
Great ideas folks! I will look into the envelope size tomorrow and hopefully will have a set price. I am trying like hell to keep the cost per shirt at $20 shipped. Worst case it will be $25....but I am frugal and dont like over charging rolleyes.gif
TROJANMAN
Mike,
1 shirt in a yellow envelope will cost $2.31-2.55 USPS (depending on size)

2 shirts are best crammed into their priority envelope and will ship at their flat rate, $4.85?

If you take all of your envelopes to the post office, they will weigh them for you and tell you your cheapest option for shipping (parcel post, priority, etc)

If you know your weights, you can prcie everything on their website
Dr Evil
I have a scale so that is not a problem. Their flat rate envelope is $4.60. I will have to see how much a yellow envelope will cost to buy. Wal-mart has stuff for cheap as far as shipping supplies.
TROJANMAN
If you are shipping more than one shirt, the USPS priority envelopes are free.

I don't know how much yellow envelopes cost, but I'm sure they're cheap. They're even cheaper when you get them from your office ph34r.gif
Dr Evil
No tango oficina. I am wondering if ONE shirt will fit in the priority envelope. I'll take pics wink.gif Also, the long sleeve base ball Ts will be bulkier.
TROJANMAN
I fit 2 XLs in one envelope smile.gif
dinomium
doesn't the med skool mail room have a bunch of DHL or FedEx padded envelopes at their respective Kiosks? I know that EVERY loading dock with one in Downtown Seattle has them FOR FREE Wink WINK! Some Kinkos have them gratis as well.

I SO need one of these t shirts and some evil werks cv bolts wink.gif

Dr Evil
Sounding good, tomorrow will yield data.

Dino, I got what you need! Order thread will be started when I get a total biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
OK, the verdict is in and the flat rate envelope DOES fit 2 large T-shirts, but it is a hell of a tight fit and I dont know if the long sleeve ones will fit. I am confident enough to start taking orders though. See new thread.

Thanks for all of the help with this! beer.gif
boxstr
These are great envelopes. Just received two t shirts from the LA roadster show today.
http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?mod...dkeywords=s3354
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.