Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sport-o-matic ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doper
did they ever put an autotrajic trans in the 914 ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(doper @ Jul 19 2007, 11:54 AM) *

did they ever put an autotrajic trans in the 914 ?

semi automatic, no clutch and a four speed shift lever
Brando
Sportos are fun. Incredibly rare for a 914, fairly uncommon for 911s. Vacuum-operated clutch with a microswitch in the shifter. If I remember correctly the owner's manual says not to touch the shifter unless shifting.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
what is funny about ours is that the original carpet has only one hole in it for a pedal! We are afraid that we would NEVER find a piece of factory carpeting like that EVER again!
Johny Blackstain
I recently operated a Karmann Ghia w/ one. My first time w/ a sporto. I was at my friends' body shop & they were clueless. I had to tell them what it was & how to operate it. I did not know that Ghias also had them until I saw it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 19 2007, 11:29 AM) *

I recently operated a Karmann Ghia w/ one. My first time w/ a sporto. I was at my friends' body shop & they were clueless. I had to tell them what it was & how to operate it. I did not know that Ghias also had them until I saw it.

my first beetle, a '72 1302 S, had the sport-o-matic. they're fun to drive.

and yes, if you touch the shift lever while driving (resting your hand on it), chances are it'll go into neutral ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
My first 911 was a '70 911E Sporto.

Huge fun to autocross.

Lotsa fun on the street.

The mere touch of the hand on the shifter actuates the hydraulic clutch and places it in neutral. You do not hand rest on the shifter!

Remember, Porsche actually raced prototypes with this configuration, at least once at Le Mans.

Just never caught on, though it was rock solid & not finicky. I'd love to have one again.
Pat
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 19 2007, 05:17 PM) *

My first 911 was a '70 911E Sporto.

Huge fun to autocross.

Lotsa fun on the street.

The mere touch of the hand on the shifter actuates the hydraulic clutch and places it in neutral. You do not hand rest on the shifter!

Remember, Porsche actually raced prototypes with this configuration, at least once at Le Mans.

Just never caught on, though it was rock solid & not finicky. I'd love to have one again.
Pat

The first time I drove our 914-6 factory sporto, I hit the brake and revved the engine to high rpm as I still thought I was in a clutch car!!!!! After that I was so bored with it that I almost fell asleep in the car!
markb
I seem to remember reading an article about a racecar driver using one for awhile on the street, to cure himself of resting his hand on the shifter.

I've been able to drive a few customer cars with them, and once you get used to it, it's kinda cool.
Dave_Darling
I recall that the VW one was listed as "automatic stick" or "auto stick" on the engine lid badges.

There were, at best estimate, 25 914-6 Sportos made and sold to customers by the factory. There were also at least a couple of prototypes, and I have heard rumors of a single four-cylinder Sporto prototype as well. Never made it into production with the four-banger that I have ever heard.

--DD
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 20 2007, 01:17 AM) *

I didn't hear about Le Mans, but Porsche raced and won the 1967 Marathon de la Route (84h race at the old Nürburgring) with a 911 R Sportomatic.
Drivers were Hans Hermann, Jochen Neerpasch and Vic Elford.

3 yrs later they won the same race (2 hrs more though) with the 3 famous 914-6 GTs

wavey.gif Gustl
doper
beerchug.gif Ok well heres my next question .. (bet I have an idea of the answer) I believe I have what appears to be a 2.0 with a torque coverter bolted to it ?? perhaps its from a bus and not a teener ? I know .. worthless without pics ... I'll rememdy that when I get home stirthepot.gif . drunk.gif
Cap'n Krusty
3 bolt torque converter = full auto tranny. 4 bolt torque converter = auto stick or sportomatic. The Cap'n
doper
would it be worth anything to any one or should it go in the "recycle" pile ?
firstknight13
biggrin.gif leave it out in the open and WATCH the vultures soar in...... chowtime.gif
charliew
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:00 PM) *

biggrin.gif leave it out in the open and WATCH the vultures soar in...... chowtime.gif

I have access to several vw auto trannys. I've been told the navy seals use throw away dunebuggies with them.
Charlie
scotty b
Put it on E-bay

L@@K it's RARE !!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 19 2007, 11:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 20 2007, 01:17 AM) *

I didn't hear about Le Mans, but Porsche raced and won the 1967 Marathon de la Route (84h race at the old Nürburgring) with a 911 R Sportomatic.
Drivers were Hans Hermann, Jochen Neerpasch and Vic Elford.

3 yrs later they won the same race (2 hrs more though) with the 3 famous 914-6 GTs

wavey.gif Gustl

Gustl,

I was talking about YEARS later (see pic). Not 100% certain if it was the Sarte - could have been the Ring. Either way, it didn't finish. But this exercise was a bit more than the 1967 race.
Pat
alpha434
Wasn't there some funny business surrounding that race. Something about Porsche forcing the sporto to win, even though the manuals were faster?

If anyone has a sporto- I'd like one...
Dr Evil
I got a sporto in my stash from one of my clients. He may be willing to sell it idea.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 14 2007, 08:56 AM) *

I got a sporto in my stash from one of my clients. He may be willing to sell it idea.gif

"only" the tranny or a 914-6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.