Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod tube seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Ok so I know that I need to use the Viton seals and meticulously clean the bores of any debris/contaminants/oil. Beyond that my recollection is that there are different approaches:

1. No Lube. Lay em up dry. Is this recommended and does this work?

2. Lube 'em. What works? 30 wt? Silicone grease?

3. Some kind of adhesive...hi-temp silicone?...but dont they need to move with engine expansion?

Tell me what to do...so I dont have to do it twice... confused24.gif

And Thankyahs!
john rogers
I use a good coating of hi temp Amsoil synthetic grease. I also use it on the o-rings of our 1987 930 and it never melts or leaks.
URY914
The best way to insure no leaks?

Don't put oil in it. wink.gif

Paul
Jake Raby
Teflon thread sealant... Loctite 574 and Viton seals.

I have built hundreds of these engines and this is the only way to seal them completely that I have found.... also ensure that all Burrs and sharp edges are non existant in the case and head bores, else it will cut the o rings and leak like mad.

The art of building a leak proof engine was harder than any other TIV aspect I have ever attempted.... I've had it down since about 1991, but still have a leaker that needs some touch up on the dyno every now and then.
2-OH!
Jake,

Sorry to seem dumb but...

Can you give a quick detail on the Loctite and the Thread sealant...Where and how do you use which...

I have the Viton seals..

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.