Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo charged V8 cars....curious if anyone has done it...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
Curious if anyone here has ever turbo charged a V8....It would seem that running a dual turbo setup wouldnt be that difficult....minus the cutting up of the trunk...Versus running a blower and having to cut out the firewall to fit the belt....Just brainstorming some ideas...
Brando
Jay, isn't your 914-8 fast enough already? Or are you tired of trying to keep up with BJ?
DrifterJay
BJ?
Brando
CrazyHippie... 300hp turbo wrx engine.
byndbad914
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jul 19 2007, 02:58 PM) *

Curious if anyone here has ever turbo charged a V8....It would seem that running a dual turbo setup wouldnt be that difficult....minus the cutting up of the trunk...Versus running a blower and having to cut out the firewall to fit the belt....Just brainstorming some ideas...

The concept of turboing anything isn't hard - I never really understand why people wonder if you can or can't boost an engine. You can boost them all. Whether it actually works depends on all those other factors that exist in the real world. If you want 6psi from twins, and you can weld and fabricate, piece-o-cake. If you want 30psi, that is a different story. I built a 418 cube SBF that dyno'd at just north of 1200HP and around 1050 ft-lbs twin turbo'd. If you have an extra $50K-$70K sitting around that is easy too.

This is frankly one of those questions that if you have to ask, it won't be easy. Understanding which cam to use, when to use what head, which f.i. system to tune, can you even tune it yourself?, which manifold works best with what you want, etc etc... and do you have fab skills? or just get ready to pay someone to do it.
Crazyhippy
It has been done. There's a guy in Eastern Canaduh w/ 1000HP in a 914 via Twin Turbos.

There was also a Twin Turboed car on e-bay a while back (w/ 4 lug brakes headbang.gif WTF.gif chairfall.gif )

The E-bay one ran essentially block hugger headers inverted, w/ the turbos mounted directly on top.

Simple, elegant to look at and a total PITA to work around.

Trouble is to get real HP out of the motor, you need to re-build, and w/ that same re-build, you can get 500HP NA...

How much power do you really need? (and it feels wierd asking such a stupid question slap.gif LOTS dummy...)

BJ(shooting for 400HP and 1950LBS)H
turbo914v8
Ok, I am the crazy Canadian clap56.gif clap56.gif . 1000HP, 1000lbs of torque. Twin turbo charged, twin intercooled 914v8. Why did I do it? Because I can aktion035.gif . byndbad914 is 100% correct. Either you possess the skills to fab everything your self or you pay 50+ thousand dollars for someone else to build it for you. This much power in a 914 is stupid and insane poke.gif . The torque literally ripped my first 914 in half headbang.gif . I am currently re-building on a new chassis. Well, saving all my pennies to rebuild. Once you breach the 500HP barrier in these cars you really have to change\re-engineer everything and I mean everything. But I am sure that byndbad914 will agree at the end of the day when it’s all said and done. There is nothing like seeing\driving your crazy creation. drooley.gif
neo914-6
I've seen a twin turbo V8 in LA in the 80's and have the articles.

Nobody but Paul seems to have seen the 1000hp V8 laugh.gif

There's the guy in UK, opps they were sc.

A guy in the Bay Area has one but is another "recluse"

you can say it's been "done" smile.gif
messix
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Jul 19 2007, 07:39 PM) *

Ok, I am the crazy Canadian clap56.gif clap56.gif . 1000HP, 1000lbs of torque. Twin turbo charged, twin intercooled 914v8. Why did I do it? Because I can aktion035.gif . byndbad914 is 100% correct. Either you possess the skills to fab everything your self or you pay 50+ thousand dollars for someone else to build it for you. This much power in a 914 is stupid and insane poke.gif . The torque literally ripped my first 914 in half headbang.gif . I am currently re-building on a new chassis. Well, saving all my pennies to rebuild. Once you breach the 500HP barrier in these cars you really have to change\re-engineer everything and I mean everything. But I am sure that byndbad914 will agree at the end of the day when it’s all said and done. There is nothing like seeing\driving your crazy creation. drooley.gif

what he said.
even if you have skills and tools it still takes cubic dollars to do a worth while twin turbo. a single is much more effient at lower power number [oxymoron: low power on any v8 turbo] huh.gif
DrifterJay
Well I have a new goal for the remainder of the year...
turbo914v8
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 19 2007, 09:43 PM) *

Nobody but Paul seems to have seen the 1000hp V8 laugh.gif

bootyshake.gif ajracer can vouch for me. He saw it a few weeks before I broke it.
Maybe if you’re nice I may let you see it too poke.gif
LarryR
wow... just so much you can put down to the ground. I mean realistically if you are around 2K pounds and are pushing 500 HP NA you would be hard pressed to even utilize all of that HP. Sure indy cars and drag cars put down more but then the reality of transaxles starts to settle in. I dont know how long even a G50 would hold up to that kind of power.

I would think that if you were pumping out 1K HP you would spend in excess of 100K to make everything else work with it. That is unless you plan to do it all yourself.. chasis mods, turbo set up with fuel injection...

I reflect to the Z06 corvette... a serious beast with 505 HP 0 - 60 in 3.6 sec. and it weighs 1300 pounds more than a 914. At the track it takes a pretty skilled driver to handle a machine like that. I cant even imagine what 2:1 power to weight would be like.

If you decide to do it then good luck driving.gif
skline
Jay, I think you should change your name from DrifterJay to DreamerJay av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
and after he gets a bazillion HP, 'creamerjay'
byndbad914
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Jul 19 2007, 06:39 PM) *

Ok, I am the crazy Canadian clap56.gif clap56.gif . 1000HP, 1000lbs of torque. Twin turbo charged, twin intercooled 914v8. Why did I do it? Because I can aktion035.gif . byndbad914 is 100% correct. Either you possess the skills to fab everything your self or you pay 50+ thousand dollars for someone else to build it for you. This much power in a 914 is stupid and insane poke.gif . The torque literally ripped my first 914 in half headbang.gif . I am currently re-building on a new chassis.

Holy crap Paul, I never realized you were at 1000HP. I am guessing turbo lag was the only way you could really drive it biggrin.gif Most 1,000HP cars basically feel like the throttle is an on/off switch aktion035.gif which makes them really tough to "drive". Maybe it was the chassis flex helping absorb the launches poke.gif

Take the old chassis, build a full tube chassis, then shell the two halves and fit it over the chassis sorta like I did. I really think that is about the only way to work with that much power. Jeez Paul, my 1000+HP stuff went in crazy off-road trucks (the aforementioned 418 - it had A/C as well blink.gif ) and drag cars.

Well, saving all my pennies to rebuild. Once you breach the 500HP barrier in these cars you really have to change\re-engineer everything and I mean everything. But I am sure that byndbad914 will agree at the end of the day when it’s all said and done. There is nothing like seeing\driving your crazy creation. drooley.gif

true! Being at higher altitude now I am probably down to just above 400HP and I certainly miss the extra 100-125 ponies. My car at sea level had crazy acceleration (I calc'd around 3.1sec 0-60mph but it wouldn't even hook with the Hoosiers) when I would plant the throttle with only 525HP, I can't imagine my car with 1,000HP.

When I was stock chassis on the track I could feel the car flexing when I would get on it exiting corners.

A flip side of the coin is to do like my friend did with a 91 LX Mustang he had - I built him a nice 377cube stroked Windsor with just under 9:1 compression, then he went to the junkyard, found a couple of T4s for something like $50 each, and then fabricated away. Put some big injectors in it and a custom chip, and instant 600HP at altitude! Car was a freakin' beast, stock block, hyd roller cam, with good heads and induction.

He would have made more power but the exhaust side became too restrictive with the little turbos. We agreed 600HP was good enough for the street laugh.gif
JB 914
I was eating lunch in Arcadia today and saw a sandrail on a trailer that had a big block chevy with at least one turbo.... couldn't see the other side

drive-ability
I would think a 500 hp N/A SBC would have a much bigger cam than a 500 hp TT SBC. The general "Shake" of the car at idle is the way you could pick out the N/A one.
I would have liked to run a TT just to have the power but have a tamer car by reducing boost. When you have a big cam theres not much you can do with the rumbleing...
turbo914v8
Holy crap Paul, I never realized you were at 1000HP. I am guessing turbo lag was the only way you could really drive it Most 1,000HP cars basically feel like the throttle is an on/off switch which makes them really tough to "drive". Maybe it was the chassis flex helping absorb the launches

Turbo lag was non-existent with my set up as the distance between the turbo outlet and the throttle body was at the very minimum. Basically the turbo dumps directly into the intercooler. The intercooler intern dumps directly into the throttle body. I stayed away from the huge turbo for this reason. Never launched it. Never had the need to. That's how you break stuff; however at 1\2 throttle it hooked on new pavement. When I got home the drivers door would not open. I crawled out the window and put a jack at the rear jacking point. The door opened with a pop, the back went up at the same time the door hit the ground. I knew it was over.

Take the old chassis, build a full tube chassis, then shell the two halves and fit it over the chassis sorta like I did. I really think that is about the only way to work with that much power

Well I have to say that I think you're 100%right. I totally love what you have done with your killer 914, but I don't have the skills or the time to learn how to build a chassis like yours. I have to fab it all my self. I have a lot of great ideas but don't have the bank to make it all come true. So for now, the plan is to tube a good strong chassis and keep the boost down. At 30 psi I generate 1000hp. There is no need to run 30psi all the time idea.gif Well no need to run 30psi at all. I can run an easy 12 to 16psi and have 600 to 700hp on tap. Still over kill, just enough to keep me and every one else scared. laugh.gif
LarryR
One other thing that I would like to note... bigger is not always better.... This is in conjunction with my how much can you use post earlier. I have a 74 911 RS clone with a warmed over 3.6 and it weighs in at 2387 pounds. That car is almost scary fast but it has all of the suspension and braking to back up the power. Turbo brakes, coil over suspension, racers group sway bars, 935 front and rear suspension, and the list goes on and on. Every time I drive that car I wonder if you really could put much more to the ground and how effective it could be.I have timed it at 3.5 sec 0 - 60 and can max the speedo in about 12-13 seconds... that is at about 150 mph 4500 rpm in 4th gear... I think top speed is in the neighborhood of 200 ish ... Note the next step is where my 914 comes into the picture biggrin.gif but I would never think to even attempt to try to put down 1k hp. My 3.6 is pushing all of 325 and I only have 2 insane friends that will even ride in it any more. My wife absolutely refuses to get in it (side bonus smile.gif ) ... any way just more thoughts on your idea. I will be very very happy with 4:1 power to weight ... thinking 500 hp 2K pounds.
turbo914v8
QUOTE(LarryR @ Jul 20 2007, 12:14 AM) *

One other thing that I would like to note... bigger is not always better.... This is in conjunction with my how much can you use post earlier. I have a 74 911 RS clone with a warmed over 3.6 and it weighs in at 2387 pounds. That car is almost scary fast but it has all of the suspension and braking to back up the power. Turbo brakes, coil over suspension, racers group sway bars, 935 front and rear suspension, and the list goes on and on. Every time I drive that car I wonder if you really could put much more to the ground and how effective it could be.I have timed it at 3.5 sec 0 - 60 and can max the speedo in about 12-13 seconds... that is at about 150 mph 4500 rpm in 4th gear... I think top speed is in the neighborhood of 200 ish ... Note the next step is where my 914 comes into the picture biggrin.gif but I would never think to even attempt to try to put down 1k hp. My 3.6 is pushing all of 325 and I only have 2 insane friends that will even ride in it any more. My wife absolutely refuses to get in it (side bonus smile.gif ) ... any way just more thoughts on your idea. I will be very very happy with 4:1 power to weight ... thinking 500 hp 2K pounds.

Yes I agree with your thoughts, however for me I had most of the stuff lying around from previous projects. I started out aiming for around 400 to 500hp, but after that the jump for me to 1000hp was not that difficult. Trust me being able to break the rear end loose at 150 mph instills in you respect and fear of this kind of power. As useless and barely drivable as it may be, one thing I can promise you for sure, after you have driven it, or in it. You will not soon forget the tremendous experiences on you’re body and minde. One word comes to mind here "VIOLENT"
andys
I initially considered a twin turbocharged 4.8L LR4 (LSX series) Chevy motor. At 7 psi, I calculated about 450HP or so (somewhere around there anyway). You can buy those motors real cheap with low miles, so the cost to turbo was offset by it's low initial cost. I found a good deal on an LS1, so I went that way. The other decision maker was the fact that it is enough work to merely get the swap done, let alone getting side-tracked on a turbo project.

BTW, didn't Rod Simpson have a twin turbo 914? I saw it many years ago at Willow Springs. It was red.

Andys
alpha434
Turbocharging a SBC is the same as turbocharging any other engine...

Start over.

blink.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Jul 19 2007, 08:43 PM) *

Holy crap Paul, I never realized you were at 1000HP. I am guessing turbo lag was the only way you could really drive it Most 1,000HP cars basically feel like the throttle is an on/off switch which makes them really tough to "drive". Maybe it was the chassis flex helping absorb the launches

...Turbo lag was non-existent...

...The door opened with a pop, the back went up at the same time the door hit the ground. I knew it was over....

I figured having twins you didn't have much if any lag - that was my attempt at being funny blink.gif hahaha. That monster 418 was much the same - just no real lag and also around 30psi with both of them. The turbo technology is so good now the ball-bearing turbos these days especially - that unless you just plain go too big, there will be little to no lag. And spooling a turbo to make 15psi each with a V8 isn't that difficult.

As for the door being a structural member, it is amazing how much support a door gives to those cars. When I hacked mine up, the door was the only thing keeping the two halves from separating! I showed up and they had the doors open and the back was slowing bending itself off laugh.gif

Take the old chassis, build a full tube chassis, then shell the two halves and fit it over the chassis sorta like I did. I really think that is about the only way to work with that much power

Well I have to say that I think you're 100%right. I totally love what you have done with your killer 914, but I don't have the skills or the time to learn how to build a chassis like yours. I have to fab it all my self. I have a lot of great ideas but don't have the bank to make it all come true. So for now, the plan is to tube a good strong chassis and keep the boost down. At 30 psi I generate 1000hp. There is no need to run 30psi all the time idea.gif Well no need to run 30psi at all. I can run an easy 12 to 16psi and have 600 to 700hp on tap. Still over kill, just enough to keep me and every one else scared. laugh.gif

Yeah, well I should note that one of the only things I didn't do myself was build the chassis. I designed it and spent every Saturday and one night during the week at the chassis shop going over the progress and fixing any mistakes the chassis shop was making along the way during the 8 month period to do it, but the bending and welding was not by me. My learning curve on getting nice, equal bends would have been long and tedious.

However, if you are going to bend your own cage, I would say bend your own tube chassis and tack everything in place and then hire a professional welder to do all the welding (we had the whole car damn near assembled with only tack welds!!! Once I was happy with every step of the fab, then I gave the go ahead to weld). Use the body as a guide and keep the suspension mount points to make your life easy, then just tube everything else and in the end chop the floor out and skin the bottom with aluminum. Getting suspension mounting correct is the PITA and without the right equipment (bumpsteer gauges, alignment tools, etc) you can mess a suspension up pretty bad, so keep those "sections" of hte 914 and reinforce/tie all points together so the rest of the car is dead weight. Then cut away the dead weight.

IMO by the time you weld enough tube into the stock chassis to handle even 600HP you really have a tube chassis and dead weight cool.gif Also my whole chassis was only ~$10K (which I know is a LOT of money as I too am far from rich) but if I did it myself there is maybe around $5K-7K of material cost for the chromoly. If you aren't as concerned about weight, DOM is even cheaper to the tune of about 1/2 the cost, and you could use less material. I put a ton of bar in the car to have all kinds of safety should I decide to take out a wall...

Oh yeah, hijacked.gif
turbo914v8
if you are going to bend your own cage, I would say bend your own tube chassis and tack everything in place and then hire a professional welder to do all the welding

For sure I will not be bending my own cage this time around. But let me tell you about my next project. The day I decide to go full tube chassis is the day I build MY IDEA of the ultimate 914. My current power plant stuffed into an all wheel drive 914. drooley.gif It can be done, I am sure of it. I have an almost complete parts list and chassis design. Of course this will be a 914 that only I have seen as pointed out by another member. poke.gif No issues with putting the power down then. idea.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Jul 20 2007, 07:24 PM) *

if you are going to bend your own cage, I would say bend your own tube chassis and tack everything in place and then hire a professional welder to do all the welding

For sure I will not be bending my own cage this time around. But let me tell you about my next project. The day I decide to go full tube chassis is the day I build MY IDEA of the ultimate 914. My current power plant stuffed into an all wheel drive 914. drooley.gif It can be done, I am sure of it. I have an almost complete parts list and chassis design. Of course this will be a 914 that only I have seen as pointed out by another member. poke.gif No issues with putting the power down then. idea.gif

Quadradeuce biggrin.gif I wanted to figure out the exact same thing! I couldn't figure out how to setup a transfer case without going rear engine and then it gets worse regarding the diffs. Or use a Murcielago transaxle - little outta my budget laugh.gif
turbo914v8
Mid engine all wheel drive. It’s easy, but costly. All I will say is that you have to think out side the box. I'm not saying another word for fear of someone else beating me to it. chair.gif

What was this topic about again blink.gif ?????Oh yeh. Lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.