Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: intermediate plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
OK so someone has done the swap to billet....how hard is it? advice greatly appreciated.??
brp914
why sweat it? If your box is good, just run it as is. Maybe by the time you need a new box, you'll be going 3L+ and will consider a 915 - save $$$ for that. If it's coming out, you'll need to find someone to do your r&p set up.

I'm not quite sure what the point of those plates is. The weak points are the bearings. (IMO)
ConeDodger
Don't know how to do it but I can speak to the need...

I just had my transmission rebuilt even though the only problems were a slight difficulty down shifting into first at a roll... The guy who rebuilt it found a couple polished synchos and a cracked bearing race at the intermediate plate. He said flex causes this... Get this though... The car has 75K miles and has only been autocrossed a few times. I was glad I got my billet plate...
Cap'n Krusty
I wouldn't risk changing out the intermediate plate w/o checking and adjusting the pinion depth. But that's just me. I just hate it when I have to buy a ring and pinion, especially when it's because of something I've done ........................ The Cap'n
degreeoff
oops
degreeoff
it has my 6 conversion hole there and ready to role for my throttle linkage......cant be that hard?? Doc Evil...have you could you do the swap for me??
okieflyr
I had mine done by Steve Limbert @ Aircooled Racing.
He can do the setup for you if you decide to go that route, and he is located outside of York PA. Tell him KB sent ya....

QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jul 19 2007, 09:21 PM) *

OK so someone has done the swap to billet....how hard is it? advice greatly appreciated.??

degreeoff
I just sent an PM to The Evil Doc as well he seems to be the resident expert on such things...I'd keep it in the HOUSSSSEEEE so to speak if possible....but ya never know?

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 19 2007, 07:54 PM) *

Don't know how to do it but I can speak to the need...

I just had my transmission rebuilt even though the only problems were a slight difficulty down shifting into first at a roll... The guy who rebuilt it found a couple polished synchos and a cracked bearing race at the intermediate plate. He said flex causes this... Get this though... The car has 75K miles and has only been autocrossed a few times. I was glad I got my billet plate...

I disagree, and I've been doing these trannies since 1973, and I've done a LOT of them. I've yet to see a cracked race on one of these bearings. Cracked and/or broken (shattered!) brass and steel cages on the mainshaft bearings, and cracked steel cages on the pinion bearings. If flex is the cause of these "cracked" races , why does it happen just as often in the aluminum case 901s? The Cap'n
Dr Evil
I agree about the cracked races. IMHO, I think the plate is psychologically rewarding, but not actually worth it. That being said, I swap them often (after voicing my opinion tongue.gif ). If you got it, I will do it. I sent a PM to you.
crash914
josh, mine is all apart if you want to look at one...let me know ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.