Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did you use to remove the goo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I pulled off the engine side firewall rubber mat and I'm having a hell of a time getting the glue off. Hit it with brake cleaner and Goo Gone with poor results.

I'm sure somebody has done this...what did you use? confused24.gif

Thanks!
Kev
skline
A lot of time with a wire wheel worked for me. smile.gif
LowGT
I know I've seen several posts about using 3M Adhesive Remover with great results. Removes the adhesive without stripping the paint off.
Bleyseng
laquer thinner worked really well for me. I ran a fan too so there was plenty of fresh air blowing on me so I could breathe too. icon8.gif
TravisNeff
MEK it really works well, but wear gloves and in a ventilated area - its absorbed through your skin and pretty bad for you. Just read you are in CA, you can't get that stuff there NM.
brer
I tried the 3m Adhesive remover and got nowhere but high. smoke.gif

So I used a sharp edge paint scraper for most, and then sanded the remaining.
half of mine was already loosened by the surface rust beneath it anyway.

Cap'n Krusty
A 3" sanding disc. I got pissed off at the results vs. time with the seemingly dozens of other techniques. The Cap'n
kconway
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 19 2007, 11:07 PM) *

A 3" sanding disc. I got pissed off at the results vs. time with the seemingly dozens of other techniques. The Cap'n

I was afraid of this...I hit it with a wire cup brush and started making a little progress but can't reach all places with it. There has to be a solvent that breaks down that adhesive.
pete-stevers
i'd say skip the 3M adhesive remover ....didn't work worth a damn for me....
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 19 2007, 10:27 PM) *

There has to be a solvent that breaks down that adhesive.

brake cleaner worked well for me ...

three things:

- spray on generously!
- let it sit for 20 seconds or so
- then rub it down hard with a shop towel

make sure you do this in a well ventilated area ...
wacko.gif Andy

PS: don't try to do a large area at once as the BC evaporates quickly. do smaller patches, like 6" x 6" at a time ...
jimkelly
ditto - jim

QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 19 2007, 09:15 PM) *

I know I've seen several posts about using 3M Adhesive Remover with great results. Removes the adhesive without stripping the paint off.

kconway
For the record, incase I ever have to do this again and forget what worked... 3M Adhesive Remover just smears the tacky glue around and removed some with multiple dousings. Lacquer Thinner takes it all off, including the paint pretty easily.

Kev
PBritain
i used a sandblaster! lol.....seriously
Jenny
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 20 2007, 02:42 AM) *

brake cleaner worked well for me ...

three things:

- spray on generously!
- let it sit for 20 seconds or so
- then rub it down hard with a shop towel

make sure you do this in a well ventilated area ...
wacko.gif Andy

PS: don't try to do a large area at once as the BC evaporates quickly. do smaller patches, like 6" x 6" at a time ...

hehe... that's the way I did it too. I was working at it for about an hour, sitting in the engine bay, before Brad checked in on me and thought of putting a fan on me. wacko.gif screwy.gif icon8.gif w00t.gif
Oh- one thing I remember.. Everytime you wipe with the towel, use a clean spot of the towel/rag. Otherwise you just smear the adhesive goo around.

Also-- ammonia works great for breaking down adhesive. But-- yeah. LOTS of ventilation. When I worked at a tint shop, we always used ammonia to remove residue from the glass. Alas, I don't know what effects it has on paint. But if you ask me, once that back pad comes off, you need to just wipe that slate clean and repaint.

Jen
purple
well, for the n00bs among us...i was gonna suggest goof off....

you never know
Bogaat
Use a gasket scraper to get all of the thick stuff off. Then wipe it down with the good off/remover and let it soak for a few minutes. The rest should wipe off with a little elbow grease. Don't bother trying to get the removers to work on the thick stuff. It will scrape off much easier.
andys
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 19 2007, 10:28 PM) *

laquer thinner worked really well for me. I ran a fan too so there was plenty of fresh air blowing on me so I could breathe too. icon8.gif

I too used laquer thinner. It is not as aggressive as other solvents, especially Brake Cleaner. You have to rub a bit in order to remove the paint, but it will remove it eventually if you keep rubbing. And yes, a scraper or single edged razor blade works well for stubborn areas. If you plan to re-paint, then it shouldn't be an issue. Has anyone tryied mineral spirits? That should minimize any paint damage, but am skeptical that it will remove the adhesive.

Andys

Brett W
Try a four inch knotted wire wheel in a four inch grinder. It may take some paint off but it will make short work of the glue residue.
jd74914
Yes . . . the knotted wire wheel is the key.
BMXerror
I used an angle grinder with a flap-disk, an air-drill with three different wire wheels, and a lot of patience.
Mark D.
Rusty
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 20 2007, 07:58 AM) *

well, for the n00bs among us...i was gonna suggest goof off....

you never know

agree.gif

It works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.