Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Issue! I think?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
headbang.gif Okay so I made the mistake of sending my wife to work in the 914. She calls me a few minutes later. She made it about 5 miles then it quit. I get there take look & it turns over great but won't start. I check my spark & it's fine. It just doesn't fire & since I know I have spark it has to be fuel right? So I tow it home with a my tow strap.

Get it up on stands & look at my fuel pump & filter. Filter is a see through & doesn't look like it has any fuel in it. My fuel pump is supposed to be pretty new. Well I get out & try to start again. Same deal & I get back under my car. Fuel filter has fuel in it now. So I know it is getting to the fuel pump. I get my daughter to come turn the car over while I am under trying to see if my fuel pump is coming on. I can't see any fuel move in the filter or feel the pump woking. So I unplug my Fuel pump & hotwire it with my Ryobi battery. IT comes on & I can see th efuel moving in the fuel filter. So I have my daughter turn it over while I am hotwiring the pump. Car still won't start. So what the hell am I missing?
I am a bit of an idiot so I am sure it is something simple. What else should I check? Am I doing the right thing? My hanes manual ain't helping? headbang.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 19 2007, 10:38 PM) *

headbang.gif I check my spark & it's fine. It just doesn't fire & since I know I have spark it has to be fuel right? So I tow it home with a my tow strap.

Hey Jamie,
Are you getting spark out of the coil AND spark to a spark plug?
Dr Evil
I would check the fuse and holder on the circuit board in the engine bay. If the contacts are corroded it will make your fuel pump intermittent. If it is blown let us know because that could be a short in the blower fan circuit or AAR as they use the same power.

Also:
- Are your gas lines kinked under the tank?
- Is there gas in the tank? Your gauge may be off.

Are you sure you are getting enough fuel pressure? Just because fuel is getting to the filter and the pump hums does not mean you have enough pressure. You may have something blocking your fuel line, but if your pump only works when hot wired start with the fuse.
JRust
Yes I am getting spark from the coil & to the plugs. Guess I could pop one of the lines on the FI to see if gas is coming out into a cup. I'll check the fuse on the circuit board now. No kinked lines that I can see. I'll get into it more tommorow or saturday morning I hope. Got a Family reunion this weekend at my house. So my car time is either going to be alot or not at all. Depends how annoying all the inlaws get. Anyway thanks for some ideas. Keep them flowing too. I'll get back on tommorow with an update.
Cap'n Krusty
Trigger points. Grounds under the manifold. Dwell, timing. Big honkin' vacuum leak. Pressure sensor and/or hose. Does the pump run for 1.5 seconds when you turn on the key? The Cap'n
JRust
Well I was prophetic in my opening statement about being an idiot. Well maybe Pathetic is a better fit. Dr. Evil you are a genious. I checked my fuses in the car. Did not however check the ones in my engine bay. Wouldn't you know it there was one burned out. Put a new fuse in & it fired right up. Well once again I wasted time on something very simple. I guess I can feel good about figuring out I had a fuel issue right? headbang.gif Oh well I'll take it for a spin tommorow & see if it blows another fuse. Thanks again for the help. Let's hope that it was a fluke thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
Dont count on it. You are not done yet, most likely. Now you need to figure out WHY it blew. Look at the power wire to the AAR and to the blower motor. If there is bare metal on these wires then they will intermittently short out and blow that fuse. That fuse actually supplies all of those components. You are close, though biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Here is a little diagram that I drew a long time ago that shows what I am talking about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.