Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AXing & fiberglass front valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
OK, my car is back from paint and almost together clap56.gif This is a street car that is setup more AXing now. For now I put the stock steel front valance back on, but have been looking at the LE repo front valances. My concern is if I go with the LE valance, the few times I ever hit a cone cool_shades.gif biggrin.gif it will crack the valance, yes? I like the stock metal one because it can take the abuse, but I really like the looks of the LE valance.

So who runs with a LE valance? any issues?
DanT
I've got a FG LE air dam and have had no issues other than the black paint chipping off. Have to touch it up after almost every event. sad.gif

But at least no cracks so far....

mine is actually pretty flimsy...pretty old knock off.

newer ones I have seen are molded in Black gelcoated FG and are much thicker and more rigid.
URY914
I used to run my car with the LE spoiler. Yes, if you hit something hard enough it will break and I'll have to fix it. So what? confused24.gif

If you like the looks, put it on the car. You could always add some f/g to the back side to stiffen it up.
J P Stein
Like Paul's my LE spoiler is a bit busted up. Dan prolly don't go fast enuff to break his.....or maybe he stays 2-3 feet away from the cones. happy11.gif
DanT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 20 2007, 08:22 AM) *

Like Paul's my LE spoiler is a bit busted up. Dan prolly don't go fast enuff to break his.....or maybe he stays 2-3 feet away form the cones. happy11.gif

you just have to hit them at the correct angle biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Here is the most bullet proof spoiler made for our car the Bontempi spoiler. It cuts cones in two.

Chris Pincetich
No problems with my LE, but I only hit cones with my rear tires. cool.gif
All the cracks I've put it it were from collisions with concrete on low driveways and parking too close to high curbs. LE looks coolest beerchug.gif
brilliantrot
Mine has stood up incredibly well but I did manadge to put a small crack in it and the fiberglass rocker by hitting a cone at speed. Marietex fixed it up and matches the paint and have had no problems since.
Joe Ricard
Too bad you Street Prepared guys can'y run a splitter.

I fabbed up a splitter for my XP car it was nearly indestructable.

cones would not go underthe car anymore which was good.

I am going to make something lighter but same basic design. and a bit lower.
Chris Pincetich
This weekend at Bay Meadows I would have won the Kone Killer award! There was a 2-cone slalom in a super tight spot....only the GGR folks bunched 3 cones together at each slalom point huh.gif

My point is that my LE spoiler held up great after punching through about 20 cones this weekend beerchug.gif
914forme
I don't even run a spoiler or rocker panels or rear valance it is all weight. That being said I saw the pictures for the last event and my car looks like a true sh_tbox, so it is time to do a decent single color paint job, and add the rocker covers and LE front valance.

Let you know how if fairs against the cones, though I ussally don't hit them, unless I am spinning.

BTW, the factory LEs had two braces that came down from the trunk floor to the lower lip, for extra support an LE Bra if you will, or Jock Strap
914forme
No problems with hitting a cone with the valance. Id did it to avoid a DNF in a slamon I entered a little to hot on. Lets see +1 cone or a DNF, I will take hte cone thank you. Oh it was a ~40 MPH hit, cone punted, and corner worker got a work out on that one. Still trying to get the cone rool down. Where I can just rotate it right in the box.

I gotten the punt down good. The national level drivers can roll a cone in the box, watched Kent Weaver do it 4 times, this weekend.
GaroldShaffer
Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the metal one for now, but I will pick up LE sometime before winter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.