Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY solid transmission mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stock93
I was in need of some transmission mounts and had decided I wanted solid mounts. I saw hph had them for $60. I was planning on ordering them until I was looking at some scrap I had. I ended up making them from 3/16x2x2 angle steel and the ends off a twisted 1.7 engine mount bar I had laying around from a core engine. It turned out that was just the right height. Anyway I thought you guys might like to see them.

John
welder.gif
stock93
asdf
Brad Roberts
Yep. They are not real hard to make. I have one for you: Buy 12 inches of 1 inch square tube. Cut in half. Cut 45 degree angles into each of the four ends. Drill 4 M8 holes (one hole in the ends of the 45's). Drill 2 M12 holes down the center of each piece.

No welding. Just cutting and some money for the 1 inch square tube.

B
stock93
Thats what I was going to do originally but I had this scrap laying around so I just used it. No place around here will sell just 12 inches. You have to buy a 20 foot stick or get it at home depot which didnt have 1in sq.

John
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 16 2003, 05:13 AM)
Buy 12 inches of 1 inch square tube.

What gauge of tubing do you suggest?

Also, do you run the solid tranny mounts with the clubsport motor mounts or do you run solid all around?

thanks,
dr
URY914
Is anyone running anything different than stock for the front mounts?
I never seen anything being sold to replace the stock ones.

Paul
brant
URY914,

for 4 cylinder,
what I've ran and the colorado racers frequently use:

take a piece of delrin. Turn it round to fit in the stock mount location. Drill a hole through it and have a stud that passes all the way through it.

-I think the stock mount is actually 2 studs not connected causing flex
-This allows you to drop the front of the motor 1/4 inch or so.
-much less flex but still not solid.

brant
Brad Roberts
Our classes specifically say you cannot have solid engine mounts (they dont say a damn thing about solid tranny mounts..LOL)

We us delrin or aluminum for the front mounts like Brant suggested. I just pass a long bolt thru them with a nut on the end for the crossbar.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.