Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for a quiet exhaust for my new 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pba110
long story (one which i will tell as soon as the car is shipped to me) but i just bought a 73 and the thing is loud as hell. i don't have a lot of experience with these cars (i've been into bmw's, this is my first porsche). is there a solid muffler/exhaust combo thats known for being a little less ostentatious i.e. quiet?
it's a standard 1.7 engine with a single weber carb.
thanks in advance! i've loved these cars since i was a kid, can't believe i findally have one (although it's stuck at the seller's house due to a faulty rear shift linkage...)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(pba110 @ Jul 20 2007, 08:24 AM) *

long story (one which i will tell as soon as the car is shipped to me) but i just bought a 73 and the thing is loud as hell. i don't have a lot of experience with these cars (i've been into bmw's, this is my first porsche). is there a solid muffler/exhaust combo thats known for being a little less ostentatious i.e. quiet?
it's a standard 1.7 engine with a single weber carb.
thanks in advance! i've loved these cars since i was a kid, can't believe i findally have one (although it's stuck at the seller's house due to a faulty rear shift linkage...)

Usually the loud is caused by leaking heat exchanger to head sealing and new copper o rings will suffice. When totally sealed, a nice new factory type muffler will fill the "quiet" bill!!!
Chris Pincetich
welcome.png

I have a great exhaust for a 1.7 for sale now in the Classifieds...would prefer to sell it local but so far no bites. Take a look to see what the parts look like.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74185

The stainless steel heat exchangers are awesome because they perform better (heat and backpressure), but the metal walls are thinner than the original cold steel ones, so the stainless are a little louder. As for a muffler, the stock banana muffler like in my picture is quietest and performs well.

Good luck beerchug.gif
rhcb914
welcome.png

Where on the east coast are you located? There are a bunch of us sprinkled up and down the coast.

As for the exhaust, if you want quite then I would go with the stock muffler. If your in the Boston area I have one in my basement that I will let go cheap. If you want new and a tiny bit more performance then the Bursh is a pretty good choice. If $$ is no object Chris Foley makes a super nice system. Sounds very nice and offers excellent performance. I run the 2.0L stainless exchangers with the stock banana muffler and am very happy with it. But I'm a CSOB.

Good luck!
pba110
i'm looking for quiet, the performance would be important, but i feel like stock will offer plenty of performance for me. i appreciate the warm welcomes and info from you guys.

you all mentioned a leaky heat exchanger? what's the function of this part? i understand the necessity for the correct amount of back pressure, but i'm new to air-cooled engines. i'm assuming you want more heat taken from the engine correct? and the faulty seal between this part and the exhaust manifold will result in a lot of noise? i apologize for my ignorance. i've ordered some books on air cooled engines and well a as a maintainance guide for this car.

just so everyone knows i did a thorough investigation for rust and the body looked really good in all of the usual spots. ill get some pics up as soon as it gets here.
rhodyguy
heat exchangers- each side of the engine has 1 heat exchanger, 2 exhaust pipes jacketed (enclosed)with metal. the impeller fan forces air thru the he's and the area around the pipes, which then flows thru some ducting to warm the interior.

k
Gint
welcome.png

Stock is the way to go if you want it quiet. You will get some induction noise with a carb installed that you wouldn't get with FI even with a stock muffler.

My 2056 with dual webers and a stock 2.0 banana muffler actually sounds pretty cool on acceleration IMHO. It's just loud enough. But decel is very quiet.
JPB
welcome.png

Hello from Virginia. Get an exhaust here if ya can. I like mine loud since they can't really see me specially trucks beer.gif
VaccaRabite
What you want is a pair of megaphones.
Cause everything is quiet once your are deaf

Zach
dlo914
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 20 2007, 05:11 PM) *

welcome.png

Stock is the way to go if you want it quiet. You will get some induction noise with a carb installed that you wouldn't get with FI even with a stock muffler.

My 2056 with dual webers and a stock 2.0 banana muffler actually sounds pretty cool on acceleration IMHO. It's just loud enough. But decel is very quiet.

agree.gif I did the same muffler swap back when i had a 914. Mine originally came w/ a Bursch type muffler. The stock "banana" muffler is so much quieter!
JPB
"If she can't stand the rumble, she's to damn old!"

Words to live by, by: JPB beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.