Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help in getting 74 914 2.0 running again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WilRod
I need help in getting my recent acquisition running again. I was drivig it and it conked out after a loud backfire-like sound. Now it tries to start but I can't keep RPM going. Suspect F.I. problem. I need some guidance and/or the name of a good mechanic who is familiar with these cars in the metropolitan New York Area.
orthobiz
John Paterek in ?Chatham, NJ will know of a good mechanic. Google Paterek Brothers.

Paul
orthobiz
OK, this may sound silly but something like this happened to me except no loud backfire. I get my car for the first time and after one day of driving, the RPM's cut out to zero and the engine will not run. It starts up no problem but will not continue running. Turns out I had a defective ignition switch (even though it was brand new!).

Do this: turn the ignition key to the first position. You should hear the fuel pump go for about 2 seconds and stop. And you should have electrical power: the brake light should be on, generator light, the radio should work, etc.

If not, it's a bad ignition switch. They crack and fail frequently enough that Pelican has a good picture article on it. They rate the difficulty 3 on a scale of 1-10. Also in the "Restore and Modify" book on the 914.

The cheap fix is to hold the key manually past that first position a little bit while driving. Makes it hard to shift, though..........

I repaired mine within an hour and was up and running!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.