Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jus took my 914 v8 for inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
but failed on co's 6.84 out of 6.00.

nappa dude suggested i retard the dist 1/4 inch.

also suggested maybe removing the air cleaner just for the emissions test.

any comments??

jim
skline
If you have to do an emissions test, do what ever you have to do to make it pass and then change it back afterwards. How often do you have to do it?
jimkelly
every two years - not bad - jim
Mikey914
Run the gas down til you get the idiot light. Add 1 Qt denatured alchol run it through then fill the tank after to dilute. It burns with out producing CO, and is used on board boats because of that. However it is not good for certian kinds of plastics, so you will not want it in your tank for very long. happy11.gif
jimkelly
denatured alcohol - thanks

i have been told this by a local buddy but he warned the same thing about the damage it can do to rubber and plastics.

thanks

jim
Gint
I've gotten a few carb'd cars (still have a one of my old Chevy trucks laying around in addition to 914's) through testing that were on the edge of CO by retarding the timing a tad.
jimkelly
cool - so i was not wrongly advised - will try that - that - jim

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 20 2007, 04:14 PM) *

I've gotten a few carb'd cars (still have a one of my old Chevy trucks laying around in addition to 914's) through testing that were on the edge of CO by retarding the timing a tad.

Gint
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 20 2007, 05:24 PM) *

Just a little, don't go crazy. You're not far off anyway. Changing the timing may very well affect your HC a little bit too. If it costs you to have the thing tested every time it might be worth it to pay a shop this time for 30 minutes labor to put it on an analyzer and adjust it to pass. Or find someone that has an analyzer. Then you can tune for performance after the test and make notes on what timing and mixture settings it took to get it to pass so 2 years down the road you can tweak,test, re-tune and be done.
jimkelly
nope - no charge to have it retested.

jim

--

QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 20 2007, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 20 2007, 05:24 PM) *

Just a little, don't go crazy. You're not far off anyway. Changing the timing may very well affect your HC a little bit too. If it costs you to have the thing tested every time it might be worth it to pay a shop this time for 30 minutes labor to put it on an analyzer and adjust it to pass. Or find someone that has an analyzer. Then you can tune for performance after the test and make notes on what timing and mixture settings it took to get it to pass so 2 years down the road you can tweak,test, re-tune and be done.

drive-ability
Jim,
If you were to lean out the idle system a bit, team that with a 4 to 6 degree retarding of the timing. Doing that together may keep your HC from spiking. I assume you are doing an idle and cruse test? For the cruse portion I would install a new air-filter, make sure the choke plate is open all the way and you may be good to go. Your not far off, those readings and limits are insanely high compared to new cars. My guess is you take the place of around 300 new cars just with you V8 car, Ha Ha Ha isn't that great! aktion035.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 20 2007, 12:18 PM) *

any comments??

jim

Move chairfall.gif No emissions testing in Richmond poke.gif
jimkelly
the test is only at idle.

i am not changing engines but do wonder how well a brand new crate 350 from paceperformance would emissions wise with the right components??

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageA...p;ProdID=154046

jim

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 20 2007, 08:22 PM) *

Jim,
If you were to lean out the idle system a bit, team that with a 4 to 6 degree retarding of the timing. Doing that together may keep your HC from spiking. I assume you are doing an idle and cruse test? For the cruse portion I would install a new air-filter, make sure the choke plate is open all the way and you may be good to go. Your not far off, those readings and limits are insanely high compared to new cars. My guess is you take the place of around 300 new cars just with you V8 car, Ha Ha Ha isn't that great! aktion035.gif

drive-ability
[quote name='jimkelly' date='Jul 21 2007, 05:25 AM' post='926311']
the test is only at idle.

i am not changing engines but do wonder how well a brand new crate 350 from paceperformance would emissions wise with the right components??

Jim,
I have a new GM crate motor much like that in my V8 car and it really runs great! I have no emission testing here in Ca. but surely it would help to have a fresh set of valves. Your carb and ignition systems would likely still cause the engine to fail, you just need an adjustment or two. driving.gif
JPB
Crap! Sorry to hear that. Can't you just get Antique tags and bypass the whole emission scam deal? If all else fails, sell the car to me biggrin.gif
scotty
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 20 2007, 09:22 PM) *

Your not far off, those readings and limits are insanely high compared to new cars. My guess is you take the place of around 300 new cars just with you V8 car, Ha Ha Ha isn't that great! aktion035.gif

Soooo right! I feel guilty in my car for the first block...after that rocking nana.gif

and I just have a carbed /6!
Brando
Running any emissions control on the exhaust side?

Also heard of running a quart of acetone to help with bringing down levels... Never tried, we tune our cars to pass if asked and paid to.
jimkelly
nope - in delaware a car has to be 1968 model year or older - it is not like in VA where a car has to be 25 years old or older : (

i will get it thru though this or next week.

jim

QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 22 2007, 07:17 AM) *

Crap! Sorry to hear that. Can't you just get Antique tags and bypass the whole emission scam deal? If all else fails, sell the car to me biggrin.gif

jimkelly
nope - no emissions at all

denatured alcohol is what I heard - i am gonna run my gas tank near empty and put a little in and then get it tested again at dmv.

pic of my engine today

http://www.pbase.com/jimkelly/image/82652516

jim

QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 22 2007, 02:59 PM) *

Running any emissions control on the exhaust side?

Also heard of running a quart of acetone to help with bringing down levels... Never tried, we tune our cars to pass if asked and paid to.
messix
that air cleaner is to restrictive. not enough media area on the filter.
jimkelly
too restrictive - i was wondering about that - i'll see if i can find another - jim

QUOTE(messix @ Jul 22 2007, 06:16 PM) *

that air cleaner is to restrictive. not enough media area on the filter.

JPB
If tha buggar brrrrreaths any morrrrre, its gonnna bleeeeew sum axels! beer.gif
jimkelly
ok - bought the denatured alcohol (DA) and brought it with me to dmv.

once at dmv i bumped my idle from 500rpm to about 750rpm and removed my air cleaner. PASSED BOTH CO'S AND HC'S aktion035.gif

never had to retard timing or add the DA.

rocking nana.gif

best of all the girl at the title desk let me pick from about 20 plates and i think i got a good one for a 1972 914 idea.gif

Jim

PS - all the best to Howard !!!
Phoenix914
smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats, Jim.
jimkelly
thanks!

i am good now for 2 years : )

jim
type47
looks like even a V8 marks it's spot. 'course it could be the tranny too.... biggrin.gif

you bringin' that monster to the ECC 9/15?
jimkelly
i am bringin' it or a van full of 914 parts to offload - it is a toss up - jim

--

QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 26 2007, 08:45 PM) *

looks like even a V8 marks it's spot. 'course it could be the tranny too.... biggrin.gif

you bringin' that monster to the ECC 9/15?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.