Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High idle right at 2k rpm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
My 914 has been gone for about 8 months. It wasn't driven much at all during that time (like under 10 miles). Today is the first day that I actually put some miles on. It starts great and runs good, but the idle won't come down below 1800 rpm cold or hot.

Before it went away for paint the idle would sometimes dip below 900 rpm, not now. Car runs great, just the idle is a little high, should be more around 1k -1.2k rpm, right? What should I be checking, or is this a issue at all?

Engine is a FI 74 2.0L

Thanks
BigDBass
Hmm, Brad Maeur showed me two things to adjust the idle. That's the same engine I have so it should apply.

One was the idle adjustment screw on the driver side of the throttle body that you can see after you take off the filter housing.

The other was a knob on the ECU. I think it is under a rubber cover or something.
John
If you have not yet done so, check to see that the throttle plate (butterfly valve) is closing as it should and that the throttle cable is not too tight not allowing the butterfly valve to close.

Also check the Auxillary Air Regulator. If it does not close as it warms up, it will introduce a bunch of air into the intake.

Apart from that, I would check for air leaks. Cover the air cleaner housing inlet while running, it should slow the engine down and eventually kill it. If not, you have air leaking in somewhere.
Dave_Darling
For a 2K RPM idle, you've knocked one of the hoses off the manifold. Or your AAR is not closing, or your DV is stuck open.

--DD
rhodyguy
DV?

k
Rand
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 21 2007, 09:36 AM) *

DV?

Dave Valve? Haha.

Decel Valve.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.