Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is a 1970 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Seriously thinking about picking up a 1970 914. It is a 69 build date. Has a 1.8 with carbs and a sideshift that had been converted.

Besides the tailshifter, what are the major essential differences between the 73-74 models?

I know this is a dumb question, but are the major body parts like the hoods, bumpers, interior parts i.e door panels, backpad, and dash interchangeable with later years.

What are some of the drawbacks of this early model?

Appreciate the feedback,
Mark
type47
from the "factory", a '70 had a fixed passenger seat and seat belts that did not retract. it had a 1.7L D-jet EFI and a "tailshifter" trans. the vents for the windshield and the ones either side of the dash are different from later cars. there are probably others, hopefully someone else will list.
Johny Blackstain
Missing the later front trunk reinforcement. Not sure what else.
davep
By and large, most parts are the same or similar. Lids are the same, roof is slightly different, complete doors are interchangeable, but are internally different. Passenger seat and backpad are entirely different, and the interior finishings (carpet & vinyl) are different types. Bumpers are pretty similar, but no tits, and the rear has a slightly different design where the plate goes.

I would like to research this car a bit. VIN, date code, body #, etc.
Joe Ricard
Winshield washer is in the knob center of the wiper switch all located on the dash. I like it alot better.
Cars are much lighter, less wire, less sound deadening no engine firewall pad. No door bars. Roof is thinner and lighter,

Yes the Red Neck Racer is a 70. Build #945.
computers4kids
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 21 2007, 06:24 AM) *

I would like to research this car a bit. VIN, date code, body #, etc.

Thanks all for all the info...I didn't realize there were so many differences. So the interior is different, but does anyone know if an interior from say a 74 would bolt in?

Also, the owner swears it's a 1.8, not a 1.7??? He says that's the way it came because of the 69 build date.

Dave, I will be glad to pass on any info on the car if I end-up going back for it...I don't know that info right now. The car is practically a give-away. I'm not to sure even why I would want it...probably just a great way to unload a ton of money in repair. Would be a fun car to autocross though...never done that.

Thanks,
Mark
davep
The 70 & 71 models all came with a W series 1.7 L engine, except for the 914/6. The 1.8 engine was not available until about Oct 1973, well into the 1974 production. Our 1.8 engine got the L-jet FI as opposed to the D-jet on the 1.7 & 2.0.
If you get a chance to see the car again, please get all the data you can from it. The 1969 production does have the advantage of being eligible for certain racing classes, but only about 2000 were made in the 1969 calendar year. The body and VIN are very important for my research on the early production cars.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 21 2007, 07:46 AM) *
So the interior is different, but does anyone know if an interior from say a 74 would bolt in?

Nope, it takes a little bit of welding. The brackets for the passenger's seat are different, so you can't just bolt on the moveable one. The firewall also does not have the recesses for the spring-loaded inertia-reel seat belts, so you have to do a little extra work to fit those if you don't want the slide-to-adjust type of belts.

The two-piece flop-down handbrake handle can easily be replaced with the later one-piece one.

I think you have to make some relatively major changes to the dash to put in the side vents from the later cars.

The window lift mechanisms that were used in 73+ cars are often regarded as a major improvement over the earlier ones. The later ones used a scissors-type lift, while the early ones used a cable lift mechanism.

--DD
IronHillRestorations
The later cars ('72 and up IIRC) have side impact beams in the doors. They are much heavier, but probably better for a street car, from a safety standpoint. This is one of the contributors to the weight difference with early, mid, and late 914's.
swl
isn't there a difference with the front hubs as well. I seem to remember that early wheels may not fit on a later car but later wheels will fit on an earlier car. Something about hub centric?
Dave_Darling
PK, the door beams were added early in the 73 model year.

Steve, good point about the wheels! The later ones are "hub-centric", and the centering ring in the late hubs meand that early wheels will not fit correctly on them.

--DD
Joe Ricard
as far as 1.7 or 1.8 is concerned the engine could have been rebuilt with larger 1.8 pistons. BUT WHY? the earl 1.7 had domed high compression pistons sand made 80 HP with D-jet. later 1.8 maybe 76
HP ????

GaroldShaffer
agree.gif with most of everything said. My 70 has many mods done to it. The early fixed seat and backpad have been replaced with a movable passenger seat and later style backpad. Up dated to a 73 2.0L FI engine with sideshift trans. Updated to later style ebrake handle.

Also the 1970 rear hubs have the boss(es?) to drill to 5 lug. Window cranks a are chrome & black. Should come with a dog bone foot rest for the passanger. Also early style vw type jack. Oh and the washer jets are chrome also.
rhodyguy
if the production date meets the absurd standards SOVREN has in place, it could be a big "FU, i'm gonna run" . the early production requirements bar most 914s. check it out. the car may be more valuble to the right person, than you think.

from the program at this year's races. "Historic Automobiles are those built between December 31, 1962, and December 31, 1969."

k
pankopp
I've got a '69 model year also, so Davep if you want the information from mine i would be glad to shoot it your way... i think its production number 310 or close to it...

And it has everything that everyone else stated, fixed passenger seat, no rear trunk springs just a rear hood prop, wiper switch, window cranks, and all that jazz...
davep
QUOTE(pankopp @ Jul 23 2007, 07:43 AM) *

And it has everything that everyone else stated, no rear trunk springs just a rear hood prop...

Andrew, could you take some photos of that hood prop please. A general shot or two, plus some closeup shots of how it is mounted, and how it hooks in. This must be pretty rare.
sixnotfour
from the program at this year's races. "Historic Automobiles are those built between December 31, 1962, and December 31, 1969."

You would need a log book to prove it raced in 69 for SOVREN.
Otherwise it is a 70 production model not eligible for SOVREN.
Maybe for some other race organization but not SOVREN.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.