Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winshield Wiper Arm restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
On my '75, it looks like there is both metal and plastic parts, connected with a factory type pin that looks like you can't take it apart. What's the best method or are new ones available?
porschecb
On my 75 I just sanded them down then painted them a flat black. Then i put them in the rear trunk where they belong! I hate windshield wipers unless you you need them. biggrin.gif
markb
I just bought new ones from hwgunner. smile.gif
geniusanthony
Related topic, There is alot of slop in my wipers. My assumption is that the pivot points are worn. Are there bushings that I can replace. If so from where. Or if I can't buy new ones Can I make something? I am certain that I am not the only one..
BxtrBill
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(swood @ Jul 21 2007, 05:13 PM) *

On my '75, it looks like there is both metal and plastic parts, connected with a factory type pin that looks like you can't take it apart. What's the best method or are new ones available?

Or you could do this....mid-seventies Benz 240 plus a little fiddling, and stainless hardly ever needs paint...
McMark
That's cool. What's the fiddling part?
BxtrBill
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 25 2007, 09:31 PM) *

That's cool. What's the fiddling part?

Take a torch to the driver side arm and bend it straight with the help of a vise(unless your fingers are a whole lot stronger than mine), and the stainless caps need to be shortened some to fit..a lathe is best, but it could be done with a file or a grinder in a pinch. Be sure to get the Benz nuts too (the ones that go under the caps) because the 914 ones have too large a hex to fit under the caps.

The neat thing is, you can use 16" wiper blades which are usually a whole lot easier to find than the 13" ones. It also gets rid of the silly big arch in the stock arms. The countour of the Benz arms pretty much follows the shape of the blades so there's less sticking up in your line o' sight.

The whole enchilada was probably ten bux at the wrecking yard, and the inserts were even new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.