Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake lights not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass

My brake lights won't illuminate. I tried a new fuse #9 and its contacts seem clean. My blinkers and running lights work. The bulbs look ok, in the sense that neither filament is visibly disconnected.

What else should I look at?
Dr Evil
The switch on the pedal cluster might be worth a look at.
skline
agree.gif And that is why Mikey is going to be a Doctor!! He's so smart. biggrin.gif

Considering you named everything else, that is the only thing left cool_shades.gif
BigDBass
Ok I have the floorboard off etc. I'm not sure what I'm looking for on the brake light switch. I have dismounted the switch from the pedal cluster, so it seems to me that with ignition in the "On" position, the brake lights should be on since nothing is closing the brake light switch?
BigDBass
(Also, last summer I had an issue with the brake light switch, where the brake lights wouldn't turn OFF unless I kinda lifted up the brake pedal with my toe. I kinda just ignored the issue after I perfected the toe technique... Just a little background...)
Joe Ricard
Well that is the switch
jump the iwres together and you should get brake lighte.
then just remount everything as it should be.
BigDBass
Woohoo got it fixed.

I didn't really have to adjust the switch. I cleaned up the area with a little vacuum, and the contacts for the two terminals, and that seemed to do the trick.

The locking nut on the adjustment screw was totally loose so I tightened that up.

Thanks all!

Dr Evil
Check it to make sure it is not always on now. When you put the pedal in it allows the contacts in the switch to connect, you need to make sure the switch is adjusted so this happens only when the pedal is pressed.
BigDBass
It turns on and off appropriately. A lot better than it did before.
I wasn't too impressed with the condition of my pedal cluster, but I'm not gonna attack that just yet.

Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.