Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade swappers! some quick Q's...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RS22b
This is for all you Renegade guys.

Im thinking of selling my basically newely built race motor for my 914 and getting a wrx swap in there. From what i have seen on the Renegade site i realize i dont need all the $7200 worth of stuff to get this thing to be a reality and goin in my car.

I also dont see too many pics of thier so called options installed on the cars. I would like to see some pics of ppl's setups so i can get an idea of what i will need to do or not do as far as those options go. Im sure if i talked to them they would say that i need that stuff rolleyes.gif

Also does thier kit come with a wiring harness or is that something that i will have to build?

thx.
_billy
RS22b
oh and i should add that i know there are a bunch of guys on here with such. I have seen some things but havent seen what i've stated above.

_billy
VaccaRabite
But... But... You just got it back together again.

Renagade is famous for throwing a hissy fit if you post pictures of thier stuff online. Which would only cause me to want to post their stuff online. but there it is.

Zach
skline
Talk to TonyAKAVW. He built his own among others here. He has a thread however you can look at during his build and he is available to ask questions.
jimkelly
renegade's prices are not unfair - they may get emotional when they perceive that someone is trying steal one of their ideas but with that said - they are THE reputable 914 conversion vendor and I am happy for their existence 100%. My next conversion will use more RH parts.

Call them - they will help you out.

$7200 - let us know what parts do you think you don't need ??

I have a v8 in my car - the kit is $2000 and the colling kit is $1000 - besides this you'll need complete engine, exhaust, fuel pump - if you were to do a v8.

suggestion - take care of your suspension and brakes first - because afterwards you will only want to drive it non stop : )
Carlitos Way
Check out CrazyHippy (PM him if you prefer). He's got a renegade conversion and can tell you MORE than what you want to know about the Suby swap.
RS22b
sweet! thx all for the replies.

On that note, im not trying to steal their setup as i dont have the time nor the skill to perform such an act. i would end up buying prob everything from them minus the motor set which i have plenty of subie connections for, just look at my sig wink.gif

just wondering how they all mounted and why you would need to relocate such things as turbo and IC and whatnot and where the final resting places are after the relocation kit is installed.

_billy
plymouth37
Click to view attachment
This is about all the extras you will need to get a wrx into your 914 except the shiftrod (also sold by renegade), cooling system, and of course the conversion kit. I built my own wiring harness for my car (pain in the ass), Renegade will modify one for you, or I think BJ went with an aftermarket unit.
I used to work for renegade and actually designed most of the subie kit, all of the pieces pictured are available through renegade, prices are on their site (even though I make them biggrin.gif ) Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
Dana.
Crazyhippy
Quick answers, the turbo would be in the rear trunk if not re-located. it ends up an inch and a half or so down, and set back a bit. Intercooler gets spun 180 degrees and offset to the pass side of the car. the radiator filler goes to the driver side (so you can fill it w/o removing the intercooler)

I did a standalone, and recommend the AMS Stinger (not what i used, but will next time)

Dana's fab work on the stuff pictured is outstanding. fits right, nice welds, etc. I built my own, and think i payed myself about 2.50 an hour for the fab time...

Dana: Are you doing the turbo outlets in 3"? I have more motor than the 2.5" i did will support biggrin.gif

BJH
RS22b
thx for the heads up! i def dont want to be cutting up the trunk, haha.

any issue with heat and such with the turbo being right under the trunk?

im sure i will have more questions when im researching a bit more.

thx.
_billy
plymouth37
BJ, I just started building 3" downpipes instead of the 2.5" I have one on my car and it flows great.

Don't worry about the turbo heat in the trunk, my plastic battery tray is right over the turbo and shows no sign of heat damage.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 23 2007, 09:15 PM) *

Don't worry about the turbo heat in the trunk, my plastic battery tray is right over the turbo and shows no sign of heat damage.

I agree... My trunk gets a bit warm, but no sign of paint damage.
GS Guy
How do you guys handle the rotation of the intercooler and inlet connections? It seems like the rather complicated cast I/C connector pieces and formed Y-pipe tube wouldn't lend themselves very well to and changes in direction or alterations?

I've considered using a WRX intercooler in my conversion - since it already has the nice matched I/C to throttle body connection. But the turbo to inlet ports hardware doesn't look very "user friendly" for any kind of reconfiguration work (at least not bolt-on). Anyone have a pic of the underside of the I/C right before you place it in the car - with the connection bits in place?

Jeff
plymouth37
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jul 24 2007, 05:12 AM) *

How do you guys handle the rotation of the intercooler and inlet connections? It seems like the rather complicated cast I/C connector pieces and formed Y-pipe tube wouldn't lend themselves very well to and changes in direction or alterations?

I've considered using a WRX intercooler in my conversion - since it already has the nice matched I/C to throttle body connection. But the turbo to inlet ports hardware doesn't look very "user friendly" for any kind of reconfiguration work (at least not bolt-on). Anyone have a pic of the underside of the I/C right before you place it in the car - with the connection bits in place?

Jeff

The intercooler is stock and unmolested the tubing and brackets you see above takes care of the rotation and mounting, it's a bolt on!
RS22b
thanks plymouth for all the info.

Im just trying to figure out what i really want to do. I love my new motor that was just built but i really need something more reliable with such weather differences here in the NE.

_billy
plymouth37
QUOTE(RS22b @ Jul 25 2007, 09:16 AM) *

Im just trying to figure out what i really want to do. I love my new motor that was just built but i really need something more reliable with such weather differences here in the NE.

_billy

No problem, let me know if you have any more questions. Judging by your list of cars it looks like you would have no problem working around a subie engine! I just bought a couple '07 Legacy GT's, Subaru really makes a great car!
fat73
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 23 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment
This is about all the extras you will need to get a wrx into your 914 except the shiftrod (also sold by renegade), cooling system, and of course the conversion kit. I built my own wiring harness for my car (pain in the ass), Renegade will modify one for you, or I think BJ went with an aftermarket unit.
I used to work for renegade and actually designed most of the subie kit, all of the pieces pictured are available through renegade, prices are on their site (even though I make them biggrin.gif ) Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
Dana.

That's pictures of the kit that's in my car (prior to shipping)! Do yourself a favor and go with the Renegade engine mounting system too.

see http://community.webshots.com/user/fat73 There's alot of pictures in there of most stuff except for the complete engine mount. I used all Renegade stuff and am glad I did. No problems after 16k miles of driving since 10/06, including a round trip Tampa-Vegas-Tampa to SEMA.

Ed aka W9R1
fat73
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 23 2007, 08:15 PM) *

BJ, I just started building 3" downpipes instead of the 2.5" I have one on my car and it flows great.

I used what's called a "Turbo Blanket"....no problems so far.

Ed aka W9R1
RS22b
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 25 2007, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(RS22b @ Jul 25 2007, 09:16 AM) *

_billy

No problem, let me know if you have any more questions. Judging by your list of cars it looks like you would have no problem working around a subie engine! I just bought a couple '07 Legacy GT's, Subaru really makes a great car!

Yeah! me = done about 50 or so subaru swaps and counting! I have 2 more STi swaps scheduled over the next 3 months. Of course all these swaps are Subaru to Subaru and i would love to try out a Subaru to 914 swap just for shear cost of repairs and reliability. I might even try and do the tranny swap as well and just get it full Subaru!.

QUOTE(fat73 @ Jul 26 2007, 02:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Dana.

That's pictures of the kit that's in my car (prior to shipping)! Do yourself a favor and go with the Renegade engine mounting system too.

see http://community.webshots.com/user/fat73 There's alot of pictures in there of most stuff except for the complete engine mount. I used all Renegade stuff and am glad I did. No problems after 16k miles of driving since 10/06, including a round trip Tampa-Vegas-Tampa to SEMA.

Ed aka W9R1

thanks for the link Ed! i will be sure to take a look at this later when i get home tonite.

_billy
fat73

Click to view attachment
Dana.

Oh yeah....the Wiring harness. I sent my complete car harness (subie) to Smallcar performance (http://www.smallcar.com/) out of washington state in a 2' x 3' x 3' box and they sent me back a pruned / labelled harness in a hat box. No problems, no limp mode, nada since we first started it. $750

Only problems I've had is with Porsche stuff.

Ed aka W9R1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.