Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint shop reco in SF Bay Area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gumbydon
Can anyone recommend a decent paint shop somewhere in the San Francisco Bay Area? To be more specific, I'm NOT looking for the perfect concours paint job that will cost me $4,000, nor do i want a cheapo $300 paint job either that will flake and fade after 1 year.

To help make it easier and cheaper, i'm just about to finish with all the sanding, i've filled in the little dings, and now it's ready to just tape up and shoot. I don't want to have the shop take all the rubber trim off since it probably won't go back on anyway (!!!), so i'm hoping they can just tape it and shoot it so that it's a reasonably straightforward job.

I'm also not going to change colors, so they don't need to worry about painting door jams or under the hood, etc.

Any recommendations on such a place that does good work at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Don.

Dave_Darling
I dunno about "reasonable price"--that can be hard to find here in the Bay Area!

The owner of Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto, Scott Yeaman, is a 914 guy. He knows the cars, and it probably won't be $4K just to tape and shoot it--if you've done all the prep already. But I don't think he's the cheapest out there...

Our own McMark can get it done as well!

There was a guy named Bob Cross over in Fremont (I think) who used to paint Porsches in his garage for extra money. I don't know if he still does, or even if he's still around...

--DD
McMark
$300 will barely cover the minimum amount of the cheapest quality paints. Maaco/etc are your best bet. Or do it yourself. Bodywork is the hard part, laying on paint is much easier.
gumbydon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 24 2007, 07:47 PM) *

The owner of Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto, Scott Yeaman, is a 914 guy. He knows the cars, and it probably won't be $4K just to tape and shoot it--if you've done all the prep already. But I don't think he's the cheapest out there...

There was a guy named Bob Cross over in Fremont (I think) who used to paint Porsches in his garage for extra money. I don't know if he still does, or even if he's still around...

--DD

Thanks for the response Dave. I'll stop by Yeaman Auto Body and ask. I appreciate the tip.

And anyone know how to find Bob Cross? That seems like something that might work as well. :-)

Thanks everyone.
Don.
gumbydon
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 24 2007, 08:16 PM) *

$300 will barely cover the minimum amount of the cheapest quality paints. Maaco/etc are your best bet. Or do it yourself. Bodywork is the hard part, laying on paint is much easier.

Yeah, i know i can't do it for $300, but was looking for something in the $1000 or so range. I'm just about finished with all of the bodywork, but I don't have the equipment or experience painting cars, so i didn't want to tackle that. I've actually asked all of my car guy friends, and none of them do paint work either. :-(

So any other suggestions on places that do "inexpensive" paint jobs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Don.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gumbydon @ Jul 25 2007, 08:38 AM) *

but was looking for something in the $1000 or so range.

nobody who does this for a living will touch it for $1000. even if you did all the prep work.

you'll have to find someone who does this on the side or go to a discount place, like maaco ...
wavey.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.